• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Battle ideas

Marine Rifleman

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2010
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Edson's_Ridge[/URL]

I think MOHPA made an attempt at this battle

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Tenaru[/URL]

I think MOHPA overall did a pretty good job on the jungles and foliage of the theater.

medal_of_honor_pacific_assault_ss3.jpg

medal_of_honor_pacific_assault_ss5.jpg

medal-of-honor-pacific-assault-20041106024924035_640w.jpg

It would be great to see the battle of Tenaru, the one that Robert Leckie describes in his book "Helmet for my pillow" and is also included in the OBH series "The Pacific". If the DEV team is planning a "campaign" it fits best there, but could also fit as a MP attack and defend map.
For the level design: The battle was fought at night but the best time for a Rising Storm map definitely be dawn, with a nice pacific sunrise.

Upvote 0
If it's a problem of getting detailed pictures of the 1903. I can help. I have one...
This rifle is an integral part of Marine infantry history and its inclusion is key.
A WW2 game with WW1 American weaponry is pretty much unheard of.

If you're suggesting to have Russians with PPSHs storming Iwo Jima just to mix it up, like how historical accuracy was bastardized in DH with Americans in Berlin....then Im officially done with this mod.

Upvote 0
A few points...

1) As far as I know, Darkest Hour never included an official Berlin map... I may be wrong, it's a long time since I followed it.

2) Who is suggesting Russians at Iwo Jima? I can't see any mention of that.

3) We have plenty of references for the Springfield 1903... in fact we have spent rather a long time agonising over which variant to use. IIRC we settled on the A1 as it was most commonly used throughout the theatre and reflects the fairly old nature of the marine arsenal.

4) Does that mean you are still 'officially' still on-team?

Enthusiasm is good, but please don't go off the rails.

Reactions: Nylle
Upvote 0
1. There were numerous, still popular...you can see Shermans in Berlin's streets chasing down Panthers
2. Sarcasm

I'll stick around but my opinion on weapon/nation/class variety stays the same. We should keep it realistic.
Close combat animations with swords or bayonets should be leveled up, to be almost on par with the Age of Chivalry mod. Im sure some of their modders could be recruited to specialize in adding this distinct flavor to a FPS game like this one will be.

z3hty.jpg

Second:
Carbine w/ a night vision function. 1 per allied team, this edge could be evened out with letting the axis team have 2 snipers w/ day scopes.

11jteec.jpg

The carbine w/ the night vision capability is easier to justify than the flamethrower in my opinion. The Japs had neither...so how do you even out the playing field...

I can still provide detailed pics of the 1903, or whatever technical data might be needed.

Upvote 0
Japs did have flamethrowers.. not very good ones, mind, but they had them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_93_and_100_flamethrowers

Again AFAIK no OFFICIAL DH map had Americans in Berlin.

No way are we including nightscopes. It would mean all players who do not have them running round blind unless we crank up the lighting to such an extent that the nightscope has no edge. A few moments' consideration should show you this. As I said before, we are not short of ways that US forces can have technical superiority and turning maps into snipe-fests is not the solution to that problem.

I do thank you for your support and enthusiasm but saying, "We can just get a few modders in and 'bingo!' all melee systems are instantly powered up" is unconnected to the reality that we deal with when making this mod.

Sorry for the slightly downbeat attitude but I don't want people ignoring all the good things we WILL bring to the table because of one or two that we cannot.

Last edited:
Reactions: DiedTrying
Upvote 0