• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[BALANCE] Slight increase in M14 headshot multiplier

poosh

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2011
The idea is simple: increase M14 headshot multiplier from x2.25 to x2.30, so Husks and Sirens will die form one headshot on 6p HoE.

As it is now, it is just annoying. Playing HoE game with 5 players Husks and Sirens die with 1 M14 headshot received from Level 6 Sharpshooter. When sixth player joins, they survive with ~5hp left. In the beginning I thought that my aiming is bad. But later by making some calculations and checking on testmap, I realized, that it's true - you can't kill Husk or Siren with 1 headshot. I think this should be fixed. Otherwise it is weird that you need same amount of shots from M14 and HandCannon (it is more than enough to finish Husk with 2 precise HC headshots).

Increasing M14 headshot multiplier by 0.05 will fix this, without changing other params:
* Fleshpound will still not raging from 1 m14 headshot;
* 10 shots will need to kill FP on 6p HoE (as it is now)

Ah, that explains things! Hmm, in that case, maybe doing just 2.28125x HS mult so it gives a flat 438 damage. I'd say 2.28, but the game truncates the damage, right? That'd lead to an interesting thing I'd guess.

Meh, 2.30 looks better :)

Oh forgot:
@poosh - I like that idea a lot! It would make the M14 slightly more worthy of its tier 3 status ^^

Upvote 0
id be happier if the damn thing at least went where i aimed. Nothing more infuriating then KNOWING im aiming perfectly at their head and have a Sharp Shooter weapon go way off mark.

Every time i think to myself

"ya know people keep saying the m14 is great maybe im doing something wrong"

so i give it a shot and by wave 6 i want to bash my monitor in or i end up using the LAR 90% of the time because IT goes where i aim.

And to anyone who thinks im exagerating ive even broken down and put a piece of tape on my monitor and marked the exact center to see if it was just me. maybe 2 out of every 3 shots will go slightly off center making it absolutly useless at medium to long ranges. rant off

Upvote 0
id be happier if the damn thing at least went where i aimed. Nothing more infuriating then KNOWING im aiming perfectly at their head and have a Sharp Shooter weapon go way off mark.

Every time i think to myself

"ya know people keep saying the m14 is great maybe im doing something wrong"

so i give it a shot and by wave 6 i want to bash my monitor in or i end up using the LAR 90% of the time because IT goes where i aim.

And to anyone who thinks im exagerating ive even broken down and put a piece of tape on my monitor and marked the exact center to see if it was just me. maybe 2 out of every 3 shots will go slightly off center making it absolutly useless at medium to long ranges. rant off

brotip: spell check
anyways the hip-fire accuracy is ****, even with laser on. You should only fire from the hip with it when you're running and irons the rest of the time

Upvote 0
anyways the hip-fire accuracy is ****, even with laser on. You should only fire from the hip with it when you're running and irons the rest of the time

That would be fine if the irons didn't suck, something like the LAR with a wider ring. Squinting through those irons gives me a headache, and the gun blocks most of the view underneath it. I like its behavior and stats, and would probably use it regularly if the sights didn't suck.

Upvote 0

I don't agree. M14 is a Sharpshooter's weapon, so you could think it should used with iron sights. But it's only theory. In the real game I never aim using iron sights with M14. If I need to make precise shot, I prefer switching to LAR. M14 has high rate of fire, fast reload and a lot of ammo. So while using the laser sights I can afford to miss twice and then hit the tagget, and it will be faster than making 1 precise shot with those terrible iron sights.

Upvote 0
I don't agree. M14 is a Sharpshooter's weapon, so you could think it should used with iron sights. But it's only theory. In the real game I never aim using iron sights with M14. If I need to make precise shot, I prefer switching to LAR. M14 has high rate of fire, fast reload and a lot of ammo. So while using the laser sights I can afford to miss twice and then hit the tagget, and it will be faster than making 1 precise shot with those terrible iron sights.

Also, what is amusing to me is that the pump and AA12 have excellent iron sights, and I hardly ever use them on the shotguns.

Upvote 0
M14 damage is fine as it is, leave it.

Its even almost too easy to take down FPs and scrakes on hard w/o a single scratch.

My only grief with the M14 is the lousy headshot hitbox, especially on clots and stalkers.
Even with my red dot right on their heads, almost point blank ~2 feet away, and still it'll miss once in a while.

I seem to get much more reliable headshot count with 9 mm.
I hope this could be fixed.

Upvote 0
Yes, with one exception - 6-player HoE game.

Its even almost too easy to take down FPs and scrakes on hard w/o a single scratch.
Slight headshot multiplier increase will not decrease shots number required to take down those targets in most circumstances. Anyway, using M14 on scrakes is not a good idea...

My only grief with the M14 is the lousy headshot hitbox, especially on clots and stalkers.
Even with my red dot right on their heads, almost point blank ~2 feet away, and still it'll miss once in a while.

The only "fix" you need is a more practice.

Upvote 0
lammah said:

The only "fix" you need is a more practice.

I think it's more of a legitimate problem with their hitboxes. I've noticed with Clots that if you aim too high (ie, brain area) that you're going to do damage like that of a bodyshot instead of a headshot. You pretty much have to be shooting the face to get a headshot.

As for the irons on the M14, depending on the map, I can be found to like or dislike them. I think the main thing is the thickness of the rear ring. The tuning fork front sights generally isn't a big problem because of how thin the parts are. Then again, this is what I think would remedy the sights the best...

Upvote 0

you seem to have missed the whole ponint of the increase, it really wouldn't affect too much, just that it would allow you to one shot head shot husk's and sirens, which is possible up until the point of 6 man HoE, because they survive with literally enough health that you could kill them, with pretty much anything, so it's like adding in a second shot for the sake of wasting ammo, FP's and the like wouldn't be affected all that much.

Reactions: sverek and Aze
Upvote 0
you seem to have missed the whole ponint of the increase, it really wouldn't affect too much, just that it would allow you to one shot head shot husk's and sirens, which is possible up until the point of 6 man HoE, because they survive with literally enough health that you could kill them, with pretty much anything, so it's like adding in a second shot for the sake of wasting ammo, FP's and the like wouldn't be affected all that much.

Exactly.
This fact is also reason enough for me to now only make 5-man servers for HoE :) (if i host them myself that is ofc) It's actually such big of a potentially lethal difference for me to do such a thing.

EDIT:
I've noticed with Clots that if you aim too high (ie, brain area) that you're going to do damage like that of a bodyshot instead of a headshot. You pretty much have to be shooting the face to get a headshot.
It's not only with Clots (but yes, it's more noticeable on them). It's the same thing for other specimen too, in particular Sirens.

Last edited:
Upvote 0