• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Baksan Valley

I like it. You just need to find a server that doesn't have map voting on because you only get the most popular maps on those servers..Odessa, Basovka, Stalingrad, Arad, Danzig. Think its not so popular because its bolts mostly and everyone seems to prefer the smgs/semi autos (sprayers :D)

It was in the mod btw..I have a video of me playing as a newbie if anyones interested in seeing it ( http://www.dailymotion.com/melipone/video/61870 ). I have a couple more on other maps

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I think when you say "polished" you mean too "clean". The old mod maps were dark, dirty and gloomy. They were literally oozed atmosphere. Ostfront maps are bright, colourful and clean. Same goes for the player and weapon models. I know it's to make the graphics look more obviously "pretty" but it does kill atmosphere. Speaking of which, the old Danzig had the best atmosphere of any map imo. Dark, dismal and pouring with rain. The new one's got far more of detail and is a much better map, but it's just too bright and shiny to me.

Upvote 0
We Want Dirt!

EDIT: That said, battles weren't exclusively fought when the weather was bad, so we should have some "clean" maps as well. Imagine a place like Baksan Valley, the winter sun shining from a blue sky, the ground covered in a blanket of pure white powder snow. And two hours later it's just as beautiful, only with a couple hundred dead soldiers here and there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wow! I just saw the video and the mod looks a lot more immersive. The sounds of the rifles firing, the arty and the planes flyin overhead, bullets whizzing by, even the rebolting of the mosin just sound SO much better. Even the Baksan Valley map looks better in the mod.

Why doesnt it look and sound like that in Ostfront :confused: Now i wanna buy UT2004 to just see what else in the mod is better.

Upvote 0
(Did not play mod days...)

Looking at this video, I think one big difference is that when you go IS
It concentrates the view in a big circle and blurs out the outside of the clear circle...

Just like when you concentrate you're sight... very nice and realistic !

Besides that, I like much better then "Cleaner" RO...
Its still brutal, its still war...

Happy Happy Joy Joy is DOD:S with the super clean superhuman soldiers

Upvote 0
How come no one ever plays Baksan Valley anymore? It was pretty popular when Ostfront first came out... I really like that map. The only maps that are ever played on servers nowadays are danzig, konig and arad. How about a little variety here people?

Be sure to be the first one to vote if you wanna play it. People will most likely vote for Baksan as well.

Upvote 0
Everyone made these comments at release of retail. The great big BOOSH sound of the Mosin firing, the atmosphere, the bayo... etc. etc.

Sure it's alot different, but what we gained in playability hugely outweighs what we lost. I think so anyway.

Diving, manual bolting, position changes trump iron sights... I'll take these over grittier graphics anyday.

Upvote 0
To be honest, I don't really care for that map. I prefer maps with attackers/defenders, for starters. They have definitive "lines" of troops which engage each other. Baskan valley feels too much like a skirmish because the troops are spread out all over the entire map.

Secondly, the objectives are (IMHO) too hard to defend. You can clear out the building of all defenders simply by hucking a couple of grenades into the building. A halfway decent SMG player can flank either of the center objectives and pretty much kill all the defenders with no trouble.

Finally, the map seems biased towards the Germans for some reason. I don't think I've EVER seen the Russians win at this map, including in the Mod. Not sure why exactly. I can think of only one or two times that the Millhouse was even cappable by the Russians, and then they ran out of time.

Upvote 0
its usually 50/50 if both teams have decent players from my experience.

Anyway some things I noticed watching those videos for the first time since I uploaded em..

was funny watching me being an overly cautious newbie :D

nades seemed to be quite audible when they land nearby

the weather effects were better in the mod (rain was more visible then)

There were more atmospheric sounds such as thunder, rain, planes going overhead, bullets wizzing by, more bass in the gun sounds, more death screams

Nades created more debris/smoke and your view bobs up and down when they go off nearby

People were more cautious? Or was that just me being crap. Or maybe it because the respawn times were longer?

Anyway theres loads of things in Ostfront that are better than the mod, but still I think a couple of things could still be added, especially the atmospheric sounds and effects (thicker/more visible rain). Nitpicking maybe

Upvote 0