• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Aztec Empire Mod

Six_Ten

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2006
aztecmod.darkesthourgame.com
I am converting the mod RO to represent wars of the Mexica up to the Conquest in 1521. Aztec warriors, warrior-priests, captives for sacrifice, and at some point, Cortes and his allies battle in the Siege of Tenochtitlan.

The wargame aspect of this mod exists to drive the accurate reconstruction of real sites for archaeological study. The main point is for us to be able to walk into the Aztec Empire visually. Huitzilopochtli, the War God, guided the real Aztecs and this simulation.

Terrain, buildings, weapons, shields, and uniforms are modeled from archaeological sources, period artwork, and paintings made by the Aztecs themselves.

If you are interested in contributing, let me know.

http://aztecmod.darkesthourgame.com/forums/index.php

The AztecEmpireMod forum is open now. Join us!

I thank the devs and players of RedOrchestra Ostfront and particularly the mod team at Darkest Hour (Thanks SgtH3nry3) for setting up and hosting the board.

I would like for this thread at RO to remain active; lets keep the mod moving forward.

SUMMARY:

- upgrade to the melee system

- Iron-Sighted bows and spears

- Keep it historical. The visual world of the Aztecs was amazingly rich, and there's plenty of material on what that world looked like.

- Tlaxacalan Otomi with Atalatal's F.T.W

- colourful

- be a spanish conquistador with a crossbow

- create some kind of 'Dysentery mod' to level the playing field

- coupla hundred men routed an army of about 10,000 and captured the king with zero casualties? Well it'd be great fun to play that as the Spaniards

- skew the ratio of Aztecs to Spaniards

- jaguar warrior role

- matinee of the survivors of the loosing team approaching the sacrifial alter at the end of a match.

- realistic in terms of weapon damage/ armour damage resistence modelling

- The conquistadores had horses, steel armour and steel weps and they will be going up against men in padded armour at best, armed mostly with clubs and wooden spears. (The firearms are no biggie as, certainly in the early stages, their main tactical effect was to scare the bejesus out of people and do little else).

- aztecs (Mexicas) fighting their rivals, who had allied themselves with the conquistadors. So you could do a lot of maps with the Mexica fighting say the Tlaxcala. That'd be pretty wild.

- factor in that the obsidian blades werent meant to kill. they were only meant to injure to the point of submission, so that the then prisoners could be used for human sacrifice. maybe if you added a certain capture ability to the aztec side, it might even things out, as well as numbers.

- Aztec infantry charge up the steps at spanish soldier defending the top!

- add a disease element, since the Aztecs had not been exposed to those fancy European ailments yet.

- combat system where thrown / arrow weapons get stuck in the targets

- brutal fighting

- give the aztecs loads more reinforcements

- ability to open the chest of a fallen enemy and eat his heart!:eek: Though you must have killed him to do this and it should be a litttle time consuming.

- detail

Last edited:
Otomi

Otomi

Thanks. Sure, send them my way. I'm glad to see there's so much interest in this. TastesLikeChicken, and everyone else, I welcome your help.

If anyone would like to help and can find info on wars, on tactics, strategy, on what kinds of animations and attacks to add (per [RO]Wilsonam) to the melee system by all means post them.

The image attached to this post is
[Splat]=Gwartisan said:
Tlaxacalan Otomi with Atalatal's .
The Otontin warrior society, he wears a "Clawback" backbanner and carries a "water" pattern shield. [Splat]=Gwartisan, here's your Otomi carrying a huitzochtli (club). Did they use darts and the atatl? If thats the weapon he should have I will add it -- I have the atlatl references already and the dart is already modeled. How do we go about adding missile weapons -- are they just slow bullets?

"are you going to keep it historical, or add in a flavor of fantasy? (either way would be awesome)"
It will be totally historical. The spiritual world of the Aztecs was amazingly rich, and there's plenty of material on what that world looked like.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One small prob I foresee is that if the mod is realistic in terms of weapon damage/ armour damage resistence modelling the Aztecs are going to lose and lose and lose again.

The conquistadores had horses, steel armour and steel weps and they will be going up against men in padded armour at best, armed mostly with clubs and wooden spears. (The firearms are no biggie as, certainly in the early stages, their main tactical effect was to scare the bejesus out of people and do little else).

Unless you can create some kind of 'Dysentery mod' to level the playing field a little I predict a rather one-sided fight.

What was the name of that battle where I think it was a coupla hundred men routed an army of about 10,000 and captured the king with zero casualties? Well it'd be great fun to play that as the Spaniards (especially if you're a brutal sadist who never tires of massacre) but rather demoralising experience on the other side.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
*7GA* Nestor Makhno said:
One small prob I foresee is that if the mod is realistic in terms of weapon damage/ armour damage resistence modelling the Aztecs are going to lose and lose and lose again.

The conquistadores had horses, steel armour and steel weps and they will be going up against men in padded armour at best, armed mostly with clubs and wooden spears. (The firearms are no biggie as, certainly in the early stages, their main tactical effect was to scare the bejesus out of people and do little else).

Unless you can create some kind of 'Dysentery mod' to level the playing field a little I predict a rather one-sided fight.

What was the name of that battle where I think it was a coupla hundred men routed an army of about 10,000 and captured the king with zero casualties? Well it'd be great fun to play that as the Spaniards (especially if you're a brutal sadist who never tires of massacre) but rather demoralising experience on the other side.
It's going to be a huge rapefest, that's for sure.

The Spaniards will have a field day.

It's a very good, original idea that I can't wait to see in action, but it doesn't make much sense... there's already a similar mod for the game Mount&Blade:

www.taleworlds.com IMO it makes much more sense for that game.

Upvote 0
*7GA* Nestor Makhno said:

The aztecs laid a few ass kickings onto the conquistadors. Check out 'la noche triste'. Alright, not an ass kicking, more like mutual destruction.

Most of what I read had the aztecs (Mexicas) fighting their rivals, who had allied themselves with the conquistadors. So you could do a lot of maps with the Mexica fighting say the Tlaxcala. That'd be pretty wild.

Two things I'd like to see:
A jaguar warrior role
A matinee of the survivors of the loosing team approaching the sacrifial alter at the end of a match.

Upvote 0
*7GA* Nestor Makhnno said:
that was actually the Capture of the inca emperor Atahualpa by pizzaro, where he killed 6000 of Atahualpas royal guards with only 200 soldiers.

but thats besides the point

you could factor in that the obsidian blades werent meant to kill. they were only meant to injure to the point of submission, so that the then prisoners could be used for human sacrifice. maybe if you added a certain capture ability to the aztec side, it might even things out, as well as numbers.i believe there were 11 million aztecs as opposed to 400 of Cortez's men.

Chernuk said:
Most of what I read had the aztecs (Mexicas) fighting their rivals, who had allied themselves with the conquistadors. So you could do a lot of maps with the Mexica fighting say the Tlaxcala. That'd be pretty wild.
id actually have to agree here. most of the maps youd be making would be based on tribal fighting between Tlaxcalans and Aztecs. i only recall la noche triste and the siege of Tenochtitlan as points where the spaniards actually got into combat with the aztecs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0