• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Axis Tanks = Owned?

Acyllius

Feb 21, 2007
I am new to the forums and considering there are almost 200 pages of threads to look through I am just going to assume no one has mentioned this before.

Is it just me or are the tank maps unbalanced because of overpowered russian tanks. Let me clarify. Perhaps not overpowered Russian tanks, but UNDERpowered Axis tanks. There are virtually no panthers available except in a small percentage of maps. Now I know the maps are trying to be realistic to the timeline, however, let me point out that as it stands currently, the only tank that can have much of a chance vs a T-34/85 or an IS-2 is the Panther.

Now I like the Tiger. It is fun. It is pretty effective. But when I am getting one shotted from 800 meters by any tank except a T-34/76 and I know I am angled properly, there is something wrong. Most maps for axis tanks involve only having 1-2 tigers and then predominantly P4s and P3s. Considering the only tank that can't one shot these two tank is the T60, that well... ****s.

I know russian armor was sloped. I know they were good tanks in real like. I don't deny that. But Axis tanks were beastly as well. Tigers were feared at longer ranges because you couldn't penetrate at long range and they could. P4s weren't amazing but they were alot more effective than they are in the game. I have seen people play infantry rather than be forced to drive a p3 or p4 because they are just outclassed in the game.

Overall
Panther: Awesome, but barely available compared to the IS-2 or even the 34/85 which is just about as effective.
Tiger: Good gun but the armor is pathetic compared to what it should be.
P4: Almost a waste of time. Gun is ok but it can get killed by just about anything in one shot.
P3: Don't bother unless you are sneaky or enjoy being blown up.
StuG: Decent gun, nothing to write home about in its effectiveness. If it blew up any easier I would swear it was... oh yeah... it is based of the P3 chassis which already ****s in this game.

Current Game Tank rankings in my book:
IS-2: Common
Panther: Uncommon
T-34/85: Very Common
T-34/76: Common
Tiger: Uncommon
P4: Very Common
P3: Common

So the two very common tanks... russian totally outclasses. The common tanks... Russian totally outclasses. And the uncommon... oh wait... the panther is the only one...

Is it just me...

Or are Axis tanks owned in this game?

Anyone know why Axis gets shafted like this?

Discussed to death many times - you didnt use Search too well, it took me 10 seconds to find a load of em using just 2 or 3 keywords :D

In all honesty just read anything about "tiger" or "king tiger" anywhere in the forums (and just about anything involving tanks full stop) and you wont miss the existing armour discussions...the reason there are hundreds of threads about it to wade though is because people keep starting new ones instead of using the existing ones ;)

I'll leave this thread open a while in case some kindly soul wants to link to a few of the better ones though.

Upvote 0
It seems OK to me. Especially now that all official maps have the Pz IV H, the tanks are pretty much balanced. The IS-2 is not any more common than the Panther or Tiger, which is just as it should be (the number of IS-2s produced is about equal to the number of Panthers produced, the number deployed is probably higher since Panthers were also deployed in the West and many were destroyed).
Try playing for the other side, and you will see that it's not really the tank loadout that gets you, its whether or not you know how to use the tank, and all too often, it seems to be down to luck.
Also, it seems to me (and I could be wrong) that the in-game version of the T34/76 and T34/85 are not that different. A little odd, since the upgunned T34 should have better armor and much better penetration ability, but the 76mm feels about the same (in maps like MuddyTigers or whatever the hell that one is called).
That, and the Pz III (for instance) currently reloads about twice as fast as a T34 - not entirely sure why the difference is so drastic, but it certainly improves its effectiveness.

Upvote 0
Correct. At the moment, despite warnings from the devs, the modders made the decision to increase the shell travel speed to their realistic numbers. This causes problems with hit detections. Not fun to play.
Thank you, that you are posting feedback - if you could even name that feedback - in the correct thread, helps the modders a lot and keeps them motivated.

I played the mutator once for a few hours, and well I had a lot of fun. Maybe there are problems, but at least what I experienced they are not in the foreground.

Well most (all?) tanks in RO have a hell of problems and ArmoredBeasts tries to adress some, like the (imo) idotic shaking of the turrets if you fire the MGs.

PS.: Not a single post by [=KAS=]doomed is in the current ArmoredBeasts thread, form an opinion yourself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0