• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Auto-Balance Solutions

Fiennes

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2011
Combining my own thoughts and what others have been saying, I think the following changes should be made:

1) If an auto-balance needs to be made, start with those who either manually switched teams late in the game and those who have come to the game late. The precedence of this is open to debate.

2) If the round is, say, x minutes from ending (server configurable), disable any team switches and don't auto-balance. Any new players that join in this period will be automatically assigned if there is a descrepency in numbers.

3) Allow clan-owned servers to have a white-list of players not to be auto-balanced. Given that a clan owns a server and might wish to play together on one side, it makes sense to allow them to be exempt from auto-balance (especially as they are likely to have comms going on Teamspeak/Mumble)

4) DO NOT Auto-Balance if the reinforcement queue for the other team is under a certain threshold (which might depend on the map).

5) Prior to auto-balance, give fair warning (say, 10 seconds). If a player feels like switching sides at this point to even the numbers, he or she is given +5 team points (as it is a very team-thing to do, even if the team is different ).

6) Regardless of how a player is auto-balanced, the spawn queue and reinforcement time should be ignored and they are instantly spawned and able to get back in to the game.

I think these changes would make it okay.

I completely agree with this thread, I accidentally made my own (didn't see this 30 minutes ago)

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=62415

This game was doing completely fine before auto balance was added, I honestly feel it shouldn't even be in the game, but I understand why it's there so the least they can do is change it up so it actually works properly.

Upvote 0