• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Aufmarsch: The Great War 1914-1918

Guys! Why you always use German Navy flag as a state flag? I've seen this in "Heroes of The West" and now in "Aufmarsch: The Great War 1914 -1918".

BTW Nice trailer! Are you gonna add masks? :D
IlXQVZF.jpg

Upvote 0
Guys! Why you always use German Navy flag as a state flag? I've seen this in "Heroes of The West" and now in "Aufmarsch: The Great War 1914 -1918".

BTW Nice trailer! Are you gonna add masks? :D

Thanks!

This flag in particular is the

Imperial War Ensign 1903-1919
This was the German War Flag used from 1903 to the end of World War I in 1918. The Kaiser Wilhelm II ordered the design changed in 1902 because he felt it looked too similar to the British White Ensign under certain lighting conditions.

imperial_war_flag_1903.jpg

Source: http://www.loeser.us/flags/wwi.html

The gas in the trailer acts more of an out of bounds area for the moment and was more or less a little experiment I wanted to try. So for the time being there are no plans for masks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Good try, but i dont see any sense in this as long as we have detailed and constantly improving Verdun.

I understand what you are trying to say, but however that statement, is exactly like. "There is no sense in Heroes of the West, because Call of duty already made a western front game."

I respectfully say, Verdun and ro2 may have similaritys. They are really quite different. As i am a fan of both games, I say that Ro2 foucuses on larger battles. The squads are smaller in Verdun. The hit detection is far better in Ro2. Ro2 has damage locations on the body.

I am forgetting the bigger differences, but my point is the same. Both pie and cake are sweet, But they are different as can be=)

Cheers

Upvote 0
Good try, but i dont see any sense in this as long as we have detailed and constantly improving Verdun.

How is Verdun even related to aufmarsh? except WW1 theme? I mean, Verdun is pretty much call of duty copypaste, in its bad meaning. Literally the only good thing in verdun is sights misaligment, everything else is on CoD level. Aufmarsh gameplay will be completely different.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Well, tbh, while I think that Verdun does look like a good game, I think that there are very good reasons to suspect that RO2 can be the base for an even better WW1 game.

1) The maps can be larger
2) There can be far more players (it may even be possible to increase the number beyond 64, which with uneven teams could have like 60 vs 40)
3) The weapon mechanics seem a lot more fluid.
4) Red Orchestra overall has a lot more of a gritty, vs arcadey look to it than Verdun. Couple this with the fact that Aufmarsch borrows some great aspects from IOM like far more exciting explosions and bullet sounds, and I think the result is just a better fit for WW1
5) Many people already own RO2, so Aufmarsch can benefit at the very least a little from this connection, especially if TWI decided to give us a shoutout at some point
6) Many people's chief complaints about RO2 are that it took a more mainstream approach than its predecessor RO1. Whether this is true or not, a WW1 game with the much heavier focus on drawn out rifle combat and flanking obstacles like fixed mgs has the potential to draw in some of those with that sentiment.
7) WW1 itself is sort of an underrepresented setting in FPS, but even more so is the eastern front of WW1, which will be in the initial release of Aufmarsch, along with the western front, so different gameplay styles can be tried out.

Upvote 0
Yeah, just playing versus bots I've noticed that the view distances from IOM work well with the trenches and rifle gameplay. It is now the case that you can be aware of enemies at a distance, and able to hit them if they are too exposed for too long, but you still need to close to reliably hit them.

And this fact is something that really only IOM and RO2 weapon mechanics can allow for organically, because in another less polished game, you would have to reduce the accuracy and damage of the weapons themselves, whereas here, they are as accurate and deadly as ever, but realistically it is the human component which limits their range and use, which I think is an important distinction. When conditions are perfect (i.e. lying down resting your gun on something and holding your breath) you can still squeeze off a shot at a good distance and hope to hit something. But these conditions come with costs of their own like a lack of mobility and vulnerability to attack from other directions.

Upvote 0