• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design [ATTENTION TWI] Please fix the custom map uploading tools.

Seanchaoz

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 29, 2016
Denmarkia
www.synchaoz.com
Let me just say that I love the game, and I enjoy using the SDK to make custom maps. As I'm sure many others do.

But publishing and updating already uploaded maps is becoming increasingly painful to the point where I am losing motivation for making maps. I am now personally in a jam where I cannot even publish my newly finished maps, nor properly update existing ones. The command line upload tool fails to connect and upload, even on multiple different computers. And the Steam GUI tool refuses to assign "Maps" tags to uploaded maps, meaning that while it does publish the map, a large segment of players searching for maps will likely never even notice it because it is unlisted. The only way to currently tag a map is to use the command tool - which often doesn't work.

Are you interested in the continuation of custom maps for your game, to help keep the community entertained? Then please help us - the custom mappers, who contribute a steady influx of content to your game FREE OF CHARGE - by improving on your Steam Workshop upload tools. Is that really too much to ask?

The GUI tool works fine except for that one *CRUCIAL* little detail where it fails to add the "Maps" tag. Why is this feature being constantly ignored and never fixed? I don't know much about coding, but I cannot imagine it being in any way shape or form a complicated procedure.

The need to switch between the upload GUI and the command line tool, when one or the other isn't doing what it is supposed to, also creates an ocean of Workshop version mismatch errors, further complicating and frustrating custom map maintenance. I know I am not alone in feeling this way. I know there are other mappers out there, wildly talented who have - and probably still want to - create high quality maps for your otherwise excellent game. But the longer you ignore these grueling Workshop issues, the more you push us away.

So in closing, at the very least please add the option to set tags on our maps in the Steam Workshop Upload Tool. There would be little to no reason for us to use the command line tool if this small addition were made. Please.

THIS is exactly how I feel.
PLEASE for the love of God TW do something about this.

I've complained so many times and in so many places about this issue that I've lost track at this point.

If you're reading this and you've experienced similar issues say something, TW generally ignores cases like this when it's only a single person bringing the issue up. (It's usually chalked up to being an isolated case)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'll put my 2 cents as well and fully agree with the post. The inconsistency and frustration between the GUI and the command line is ridiculous. Especially the MISMATCHES that occur for no reason. It doesn't properly purge/update the maps old versions from the client/server through the workshop steamworks. There are many other gimmicks and things that add up on the SDK issues but they can be overlooked compared to this to be honest.

Reactions: KillMaster
Upvote 0
Adding my +1. I just upload my maps without any "maps" tag on them. But I understand the pain these guys are going through. Since the new update players on my maps just fall through the ground to their death. I fixed DeathBasin map but now it happened on Limansk. Whatever this is, it's getting out of hands. And don't get me even started on this landscape, foliage problem not being fixed. Please, do something TW.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm updating my KF-Greenstreet map since last Grindhouse contest. I'm almost finished.

The upload process during the contest was an incredible pain. Going to the forums after a year, and seeing this post is not even surprising, but very sad.

I'll see how my upload goes, since I only know the Grindhouse experience.

We all love Tripwire games, but not the reputation of the tools and clunkyness. Please help us to help you.

Upvote 0
I will say the main reason I haven't done updates to my maps in awhile is mainly because of this. It takes a good amount of time to get the map uploaded correctly with the "maps" or any other tag that we want on there. I won't update/upload my maps without adding that tag as that just leaves out a huge chunk of people that will be unable to find my content.

It's not that its hard. The issue is its a simple thing that is overly complicated with workarounds and having to change the name on map files in the workshop by being to closely named to other things and etc...

I have 14 maps and it takes around 2 hours to get a map uploaded with the current process correctly. So thats a possibility of 28 hours of work if I ever want to update the maps to fix them or for some other reason.

There isn't actually a card on the trello boards addressing landscaping being broke and issues with the sdk/modding process in general.
https://trello.com/b/ZOwMRlcW/killin...-issue-roadmap

Last edited:
Upvote 0
+1 It does not have to be so difficult, but if they do not care to understand that we will try hard to get the maps up at all costs, they will be calm with this problem.

Nor do they care about putting tags in the relevant posts that some make so that they are always available, and we will look for them in the forum if we want to consult something.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nope, TWI doesn't give two f***s about their custom mapping community :)

I'll gladly retract that statement and apologize if they come out of hiding and actually communicate with us, but until they show their faces instead of pretending nothing is wrong, then I don't see how the above statement is not the bitter truth.

Are they too busy to look into these matters? Like, for real? Are they so busy they cannot even take 5 minutes out of their schedule to at least RESPOND to us and let us know that they are aware of it? This eternal silence is disgusting. I know for a fact they read these forums. They are intentionally ignoring us at this point, which just proves how little they care.

Upvote 0
I don't make maps and know nothing about how to, or the mechanics of using the Steam Workshop, BUT, I know many of the Map Makers and Custom Content developers here (as we have so much of their custom maps on our servers) so I feel the need to add something here.

First Tripwire, you heavily hyped on how the Steam Workshop and Custom Content will be developed for the modding community even before the "EA". It was part of your overall marketing strategy pre-release!

Secondly, you now have that all set up and yet fail to fix the issues being brought up to you. What's worse, you don't even have the time to acknowledge here that you are even aware of it.

Third....... Custom Content, in my long gaming experiences, are what actually keep a game "Alive" for so long.............. and that means the developers continue to bring in profit much longer than in the past. It would surely be in YOUR (Tripwires) best interest to place some emphasis on getting the issues fixed that effect your Custom Content developers and keeping them in the loop on progress or steps you are taking to address and correct their concerns/issues!

Lastly, I will predict this with great confidence only because I have seen it in other games, ...... you loose your Custom Content Developers, you loose the gaming cummunity's interest in your game, and logically following............... THEY QUIT dropping money in to YOUR pockets! :cool:

Love the game, both KF1 and KF2, so I hope this all gets resolved soon so YOU folks above will keep developing the great stuff you have been putting out.
Loose them, loose me, loose our servers and loose those pubbers that play on our servers............ eventually. I am sure this same scenario will play out on many, many other servers also.

Upvote 0