• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Attention...it tales more than one person to operate a tank

Spade said:
I got simple rule I use to decide to drive for someone or not:

1) They jump on I ask 'Where to?' in vehicle chat
--> No answer after 3 times asking, I let them go themselves
or
2) They shoot main cannon/mg at spawn --> I let them go themselves
3) They shoot main cannon/mg when moving and no enemy near, I ask them to stop, they keep doing it --> I let them go themselves
4) They expect me to drive straight ahead at full speed to where they want to and complain when I take detour and use cover to advance, stopping along the way for them to scan the area for enemies --> I let them go themselves

I much prefer driving to shooting, I find it lot more fun, and more often than not, find the enemies way before the gunner does by listening sounds and keeping my eyes open but above all, I much prefer 1 kill no death ride to 10 kill/ 10 death ones. Many gunners just have this 'yalla yalla' mentality and don't have slightest idea how to actually use the tank to its best. They think it is best used and most effective out in the open facing 5 enemy tanks and fastest trigger finger is the winner of the shooting match - not much point to ride with those.

If you're lucky, you find gunner who listens you and keeps eye on vehicle messages shooting enemies you spot for them, but way too often they don't and whine when you're not rushing straight ahead at full speed and get blown up by 5 enemy tanks without them being able to hit a broadside of barn from 10 yards.

Also, on some maps, like Arad, I prefer to defend North Field (Allies)/ cover the North Field (Axis) rather than attacking so it would be rather silly to have a driver sitting idle there - 1 man can handle the whole tank in those occasions.

I often find that new players are more fun to drive with even though you may not get kills and die few times, when they finally manage to destroy that pesky enemy tank it feels that much better. Most times they also show appreciation for you when you take time and make effort to help them out and give them chance to practise their shooting, and keep them alive most of the round, even if they don't manage to get a single kill.

Bit drifting from topic but what the heck, I just feel poetic today.

You can drive for me anytime! I'll gladly return the favor when you want to command. xfire = boltaction4145

Upvote 0
Fix stuttering VOIP first, then start talking teamwork.
But then again how many people out there are willing to use a mic
and how many people cared to come to this website and read about proper tank tactics, positioning, soft spots etc...
I always try to go solo if there are tanks for everybody. It's better to be on your own than have less experienced player as your driver or gunner. Your survival depends on the driver and there'll never be many pubbers who are willing to perfect their art of virtual driving:).

Screw realism, just give us more tanks:)

Upvote 0
You know, maybe we should have an ingame manual for this, currently you can open the PDF manual outside the game, but it only covers some basics, and making a guide here on the forum probably wont reach alot of players.

Flightsim enthusiasts will know what im talking about, its a great help for new players to have a good tactics and operational guide within easy reach, and its important that its easy to browse through.

That might go some way twords helping the issue, atleast the new players who want to learn can.

I think it'd be good, a guide to using tanks, tactics, the weapons, some historical background, some pretty picktures, it could go places!

Once the SDK is avalible, the community could probably make it, so TW only has to impliment it.

Upvote 0
Tanking in RO is completely useless unless it's a clanmatch or BFE. That's why I joined BFE, to enjoy the tank maps.

In publics I completely avoid tank maps entirely(except for combined arms like hedgehog or konigsplatz) people just don't work as a team. I've taken some tanks solo and I'm there well hidden, well angled, taking out many enemy tanks and some idiot pops in as driver and goes full speed against 3 enemy tanks and I get destroyed while yelling him to stop the entire time.

**** that. Seriously. :(

Upvote 0
Another reason you often find solo tankers is because 5 tanks with one person will easily outclass 2 full tanks, unless those 2 are very good at firing and manuevering, in which case they'd probably outclass 2 full tanks anyways.

On Arad I've seen three IS2s and a T34, all driven/gunned by only one person absolutely demolish German tanks to the point where it was literally like a barrage every time a German tank appeared. What good would it have done if these tanks had an extra person? Half the time people won't listen to you anyways, or have no clue what to do. Can't tell you how many people have gotten into the tank I'm in, while I'm out in a defensive position firing upon targets, only for them to just get in and move me? Wtf is that. Some people are just retarded, and I'd rather take on tanks by myself and have a fighting chance than have someone get in with me and load up an HE shell to go against a tiger, or drive head on to a stationary IS2 pointed right as us.

Upvote 0
An option to frag a member of the tank would be usefull....

What i REALLY hate is that in a map where nobody will ride with you because they want the tank themselves, is when you perch on a good fireing location and hold off a position all by yourself.....

Only to have some jerkoff jump in the tank and drive you right into the place you where defending, past it and slams into an enemy tank. Normally that would be ok as point blank shots normally kill but when his other mates are looking at you with even bigger guns.........it gets anoying.

Upvote 0
Grobut said:
I dont see how locking tanks would incourrage teamwork..
Locking the Tank you can call it my version of tough love, but after getting locked outa a tank a few times for reckless behavior I think most people would get the point that being silly in a tank..not listening, not communicating with your crew, not trying to win a map for your team or any other examples of blatant recklessness won't get you any teammates willing to drive with ya.

I kinda equate individual lack of cooperation or teamwork as such with TK's cause it ends up basically being the same thing with the end result of your teammates dying because of something you did or didn't do..someone who's driving a tank like crap just flooring it off to nowhere or a gunner who is shooting off the machine gun or cannon in the spawn prolly shouldn't have a licence to be in it.

Locking the Tank..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like to both solo and tank with other people. I find with panther and IS2's you can solo. This is becasue if you can find a good hulldown postion you can pick off enemies at range, which is what those tanks are made for, long range engagements.

If I am tanking with another person I alsmto always drive. Shooting is not that difficult, I almost never miss completely. And most people dont either. Well I might hit the tank, but hit a bad location on my first shot. But often people drive like nascar drivers. First they dont stop when you do have an enemy in sight or tell them to stop, and stop when ur reloading and are in open view.

When I drive I also realize that I have a worse view than them. I make sure theyre not buttoned up and are using binoas and what not to spot enemies unless under fire of course. On pubs Ill move into a postion where they can shoot, angle the tank, and let them fire. After they fire Ill move back to cover while we reload then if that tank is still alive Ill ask somethin like where is he what should i do. You dont have to be a genious on pubs to out tank other people. Most people dont think at all, so any thinking is good.

Solo tanking can be done though. I feal really good when I take out a two man tank soloing because I spotted them earlier. Most people are always buttoned up looking down sight of their gun. This is so incredibly bad. You hav such a limited view. Thats why often the driver spots enemies before the gunner. Not with me, I am alwasy up and looking, and I ve been plaing since March 28, and have yet to be sniped or machine gunned while unbuttoned, though Ive machined gunned people who unbutton. Unless ur under fire dont friggin button up if your my guner. I hate it when Im like, shoot the guy hes right in front of us, jump in mger ill shoot him.

Upvote 0
Only to have some jerkoff jump in the tank and drive you right into the place you where defending, past it and slams into an enemy tank.

This happened to me today.. I waited for someone to get in my tank, nobody did so I drove off. Got a good spot and had an enemy tank in sight at range.

Fired and hit. I was sure one more shot would do it... waited for reload. Some guy gets in, says in General Say (nobody ever uses Vehicle say :( ) "No action here, I'll take us to the battle..."

I pressed "Stop", and typed "Stop" in vehicle say, but he drove off toward the enemy. Suffice it to say, I miseed my shot and jumpped out.

Solo tanking is okay when only morons are around. I like having a good partner though. I have to admit I don't like driving much, but mostly because I never get commands or instructions (typing "Where to?" or "Tell me when to stop." usually weilds silence).

Upvote 0
Most of the time, I'll go along with someone jumping into my tank. Granted, on pubs I'd prefer to tank solo, unless one of my clan-mates is around, but I've come across some remarkably good drivers and gunners on pub servers.

Of course, there was this one chucklef()ck yesterday on Arad. I had a Tiger perfectly hull down, and was picking off Russian tanks on both north and south field. He jumps in, just randomly drives the tiger into the middle of the north village and parks it somewhere that he can't get it out of ... but he doesn't stop trying. PRoblem was, the constant back-and-forth motion kept screwing up my shots at the 2 T-34's and the IS-2 that were sitting 100 meters away from us.

What pisses me off is what I saw earlier tonight: some idiot SMG'd EVERYONE in the Soviet spawn on Bondarevo at the start of the map, then hopped in the KV-1s and took off by himself. He then noticed that he'd missed one guy, so he ran over the survivor.

Upvote 0
I really enjoy driving if I have a good commander. The thing is, most guys in this game seem to think they are God's hand of justice with a tank cannon and won't even think about doing anything but shooting. These guys also tend to be idiots that can't shoot worth a crap and end up getting me killed time and time again.

I absolutely hate it when I jump into a tank in spawn, find there's someone in it with me, and they jump out. I tell them that I'll even drive, but usually they are half-way out into the field to meet their fate by that point.

The instant tank position switching (which I think promotes rambo tactics) and overall newbish attitudes held by many are killing some of the coolest things this game can offer.

Take a few minutes to teach someone how to be effective in a tank. I can't tell you how many times I've found myself in a tank with a new player and been pleasantly surprised at how well they do after I give them a few tips (i.e.- angling the tank, spots to aim for on different tanks, enemy recognition, hull down, etc.). Ever heard the phrase, "Don't judge a book by it's cover?"

If someone doesn't want to listen to you at all, which happens, then hop out and find a tank to solo in if need be.

Upvote 0
I find on arad that the IS2 and Tiger are useless if you drive it staright into the vilage and park it 10 feet from a building that a AT soldier can pop out from and blast you. Yet often when Im gunning the driver drives straight into the village and parks it. Then gets bored or something that they've now got "nothing" to do but twiddle their thumbs, and jump out the tank. Now I'm sitting there in a tiger that takes 60s to rotate the turret- theres no way that can be defended against AT soldiers. The other thing, as other people have said, is when you have a good position with the sights set for the areas that your covering, and someone jumps into the tank and takes off. No "By yaw leave guvna" or any sort of atempt to communicate. Its rude to jump in a tank that someone else has obviously got under control, and just claim it as your own.

Upvote 0
Sometimes I like to go solo on tank maps, taking up defensive positions e.g. on arad, overlooking North Field with an IS2. A driver there is usually not needed, as he'll be bored to death. As stated by many people before, I absolutely hate it when you're set up in perfect position and some idiot jumps in the tank and drives off into enemy spawn, ignoring my protests completely ;-)

But I have an idea to help finding other cooperative tankers more easily. How about people, who like to cooperate in tanks, add a suffix to their name on tank maps, making it easier to spot each other and have fun tanking.

The suffix could be something like {ct} for cooperative tanking or something like that ;-) Could also add gunner/driver preferences like {ct.d} for driver or {ct.c} for commander/gunner.

What do you think guys?? Anyone like the idea???

Upvote 0
First there is a lot of logic in having 4 tankers on Arad take out 4 tanks versus only 2. All things equal. The side with 4 tanks is gonna own the other side if they have equal number of tankers and take out 2 tanks. Three T34/86s and a IS-2 will hold them off all day. And the reverse would be true also.

Upvote 0
Droog said:
Fix stuttering VOIP first
Turn off your EAX. Fixed.

CaptRanger said:
The instant tank position switching (which I think promotes rambo tactics) and overall newbish attitudes held by many are killing some of the coolest things this game can offer.

Take a few minutes to teach someone how to be effective in a tank. I can't tell you how many times I've found myself in a tank with a new player and been pleasantly surprised at how well they do after I give them a few tips (i.e.- angling the tank, spots to aim for on different tanks, enemy recognition, hull down, etc.). Ever heard the phrase, "Don't judge a book by it's cover?"

If someone doesn't want to listen to you at all, which happens, then hop out and find a tank to solo in if need be.

I completely agree and share you sentiments.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lets try to be constructive here guys, we are obviously alot of people here who like to tank with other people using teamwork, so lets make a simple system so we can spot others on servers who want to do the same.

Its not a fix to annoying n00bs driving you off to your death but it would be a start, yes?

It could be as simple as announcing your intensions on chat:

Grobut: Will teamtank for food!

Could be anything really, just a simple system to spot others on a pub who wants to do some real tanking.

Upvote 0
Grobut said:
It could be as simple as announcing your intensions on chat:

Grobut: Will teamtank for food!
-MM!!-Lazarus: Will teamtank for anything really!

I have been told to get out sometimes, and if asked to I will, but I prefer the teamwork. And its not because I do stupid things, its because someone else did, I never saw the guys befoe, but someone ruined the game for the one I met and that makes him ruin it for the next one and the next one.

Gotta break the circle yourself!
:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0