• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Attention...it tales more than one person to operate a tank

jmz768

Apr 14, 2006
What's with the large number of players that are treating tanks as a one man operation? Almost every server I go to there are people taking off alone in tanks or jumping out of a tank if someone gets in with them then running off to another tank.

I've only had the game for two days and one of the first things I learned is that you don't try to use a tank alone. :confused:

tales???? takes

Thats why we took tank maps off our cycle.
Its rare that your lucky enough to get a tank crew playing as a team,unless clan mates or server regulars are with you.
More often than not you get a silly driver wandering off with not a care in the world and totally oblivious to what you ask on voip or radio messages.
Its because of this most guys just take a tenk themselves and switch from driiver to gunner when needed.
Its a real pity though.

Upvote 0
I got simple rule I use to decide to drive for someone or not:

1) They jump on I ask 'Where to?' in vehicle chat
--> No answer after 3 times asking, I let them go themselves
or
2) They shoot main cannon/mg at spawn --> I let them go themselves
3) They shoot main cannon/mg when moving and no enemy near, I ask them to stop, they keep doing it --> I let them go themselves
4) They expect me to drive straight ahead at full speed to where they want to and complain when I take detour and use cover to advance, stopping along the way for them to scan the area for enemies --> I let them go themselves

I much prefer driving to shooting, I find it lot more fun, and more often than not, find the enemies way before the gunner does by listening sounds and keeping my eyes open but above all, I much prefer 1 kill no death ride to 10 kill/ 10 death ones. Many gunners just have this 'yalla yalla' mentality and don't have slightest idea how to actually use the tank to its best. They think it is best used and most effective out in the open facing 5 enemy tanks and fastest trigger finger is the winner of the shooting match - not much point to ride with those.

If you're lucky, you find gunner who listens you and keeps eye on vehicle messages shooting enemies you spot for them, but way too often they don't and whine when you're not rushing straight ahead at full speed and get blown up by 5 enemy tanks without them being able to hit a broadside of barn from 10 yards.

Also, on some maps, like Arad, I prefer to defend North Field (Allies)/ cover the North Field (Axis) rather than attacking so it would be rather silly to have a driver sitting idle there - 1 man can handle the whole tank in those occasions.

I often find that new players are more fun to drive with even though you may not get kills and die few times, when they finally manage to destroy that pesky enemy tank it feels that much better. Most times they also show appreciation for you when you take time and make effort to help them out and give them chance to practise their shooting, and keep them alive most of the round, even if they don't manage to get a single kill.

Bit drifting from topic but what the heck, I just feel poetic today.

Upvote 0
I agree....two is better than one in a tank. I played on the Arad map yesterday as gunner with an excellent driver...I think his name was Krusty_Vader. Anyway, becasue of KV's excellent tank driving skills (finding good hull down, reversing and repositioning when needed, etc.) we were able to take out 11 enemy tanks before being taken out ourselves. If it was just me, I'd be lucky to get one kill before being taken out :)

DV

Upvote 0
the problem with teamtanking is .. 90% of the time the person who gets into your tank decides to turn the turret facing backwards.. and then pop out of the hatch and say "wheres the tanks?"... but ive found ppl that are either RO veterans.. or just plain good tankers.. but they ARE hard to come across.

@steiner.. that feature may be easly .. destroyed.. because of 1 guy who will sit in a tank.. 1 guy will get in and the other jumps out ... while the tank will move.. unless this is prevented.

Upvote 0
Eh, far too many people seem to have no interest in using the tanks like they should be used, its a rare occation when you find someone who will actually drive or shoot with you, even more rare when they listen to you and give orders and try to make it work as a team effort.

On tank maps, i usually get in as the driver (as most people want to gun, and i dont mind doing the driving), but often i just sit there for a while, and everyone is avoiding my tank like the plague and taking their own, or even walking if there are no spares!

Then once in a while someone will join, but they wont listen to you, and they dont tell you anything, just shooting whilst on the move whenever they feel like it, and not hitting a thing.

But when you do find someone who wants to work togeather.. sweeet!

Upvote 0
Nimsky said:
I would like to play against one of those "1337 solo tankers". You go in a tank all by yourself, and I hop in a tank with one of my BFE mates. Whoever will be the first to get to 10 kills will receive eternal honour.

Of course 2 blokes from the same clan are going to win, it's an advantage to have your mates in a tank with you, but it's a disadvantage to have a clueless idiot noob in your tank with you that simply gets you killed.

Upvote 0
I kind of like the idea brought up in the suggestions section somewhere in the forums of this..
Tanks are capable of getting LOCKED by the first person who aquires one and it can only be unlocked by the lead tanker accepting that person(s) in. I think that may solve more issues than not about getting people to play as a team..if you don't at least give it a good try and use a tank properly, people aren't gonna want to drive with you.

Yes new people have to practice and get used to tanks so there is some room for experiencing error but there are those rare individuals out there who just can't help but never listen to the word stop or gogogo, never care about objectives, never seem to care about advance and defend and tank tactics in general at all.. I'm no tank expert by any means but when some guy hops into my tank and proceeds to not communicate or totally foul things up on a consistent basis it gets kinda old fast.
Of course on some servers you don't have as much of an issue with it because more and more people are becoming experienced with it.. and I don't notice the issue as much as I did a month ago..which leads me to believe that people are picking up on the whole teamplay is essential ethic.

So perhaps locked tanks? Or a locked tanks mod or something..

Peace fellas,

Mori

Upvote 0
Well, on most server I played, I noticed that nobody was willing to help new people out, maybe thats the problem? Few days ago I was playing on konigsplatz and I was on axis side. There was this guy, obviously new to the tanking part of the game. He didnt even know how to change positions. I was a bit frustrated at first but I decided I wouldnt run away with tank, but I'd go and try to help him out with basics of tanking instead. He was ignorant at first but I explained him that with 2 man crew, tank would operate much better. I wont say it was easy thing to do, there was alot of typing and alot of explaining, but near the end of the map we were coordinating our attacks and he was listening to my commands. It wasnt all that good, but atleast I knew that next time he joins some tank server, he will be less trouble to maybe some of you guys. Repeat my example and you will have alot of less nerve-breaking situations in future.

Upvote 0
[EUMC]Steiner said:
The worst are people who start flaming you for getting in "their tank".

As I suggested in the suggestions section - maybe make it compulsory to have two people in a tank before you can move.
That is all good a proper.

but when you have servers with low numbers...Like 10players....is it really that good going out with 2 tanksa peice on each side with full crews. (given some people will go Infantry)

That is why you can drive a tank by yourself.
Id much rather have 4 tanks on each side with 1 player in each....than 2 tanks on each side with 3 players in each.

But when possiable...ie: 15 plus players...definatly try and get 2 to a tank.

It is alot easier to Kill tanks with a full crew and good COMMS.....and you dont have to worry about PTRD and Fausters as much as the MG is always ON alert.

But sometimes it is just not possiable.

Upvote 0