• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Attention...it tales more than one person to operate a tank

krylosz said:
Sometimes I like to go solo on tank maps, taking up defensive positions e.g. on arad, overlooking North Field with an IS2. A driver there is usually not needed, as he'll be bored to death. As stated by many people before, I absolutely hate it when you're set up in perfect position and some idiot jumps in the tank and drives off into enemy spawn, ignoring my protests completely ;-)
But I have an idea to help finding other cooperative tankers more easily. How about people, who like to cooperate in tanks, add a suffix to their name on tank maps, making it easier to spot each other and have fun tanking.
The suffix could be something like {ct} for cooperative tanking or something like that ;-) Could also add gunner/driver preferences like {ct.d} for driver or {ct.c} for commander/gunner.
What do you think guys?? Anyone like the idea???

I think that is a GREAT idea! you should start your own thread, put a vote/poll thingy on it to see what pre-fix/suffix people would like, then get an admin to "sticky" the thread. I think it could really work!

Upvote 0
If the advantages of having a multi-crew tank over a single-crew one were increased, I think more players would use them. Towards that end, I'd like to see:

1. Elimination of the instant vehicle in/out and position change to increase the advantage of having those positions crewed.

2. Force the better utilization of armored resources by controlling the tank parks. Reserve large tanks to full, (2-3 player), crews only, restrict single-player crews to the smaller tanks. Make it easier for VOIP users to find each other when repawning.

3. Give the commander/gunner the ability halt the tank for up to 10 seconds in case the driver can't/won't follow orders, (the electronic equivalent of the gunner kicking the driver in the back of the head). While the in-game vehicle commands in their native languages are neat from a historical perspective, a localized version, (prefaced with the intended recipient, i.e., Driver: Stop!), would be more effective. Perhaps mapped to the numeric keypad.

Upvote 0
I really enjoy crewing a tank with a competent person who communicates. A good crew can do remarkable things.
Sometimes it's not practical crewing tanks 'cause you'll be outgunned/outnumbered by the other team going solo.

To the arsholes who jump in my tank out of nowhere and lurch it forward 15 meters into the open while I'm targeting... you surely have no brain.

Communication is key. A noob with a brain is far preferred to a vet who can't communicate.

I like the idea someone mentioned above of having a prefix on our names to designate people with brains.

Upvote 0
Oberst Freitag said:
hate to break it to you but in many cases (in pubs without clan members) a solo tanker who knows what hes doing is more effective than a crew of people who have no clue whats going on

If your crew are newbies, then yeah you will have problems, but people dont learn if they dont get a chance to practice, and i'll gladly team up with a newbie if he's got the will to use teamplay.

Upvote 0
Deathsai said:
Unless it is with people who I can tell are talented or willing to communicate and follow orders if I'm the commander, I will merely get out of the tank if someone else gets in at the spawn. If that person follows me, they can expect a pistol round in their kneecap.

That sounds mature. Couldn't you try using VOIP or typed chat instead of shooting your own teammates in spawn?

Upvote 0
RO is currently a relatively new game and player tactics will evolve. That will include tanking too.

I have played Joint Operations before and it took several month before the average player was a merit to your 'tank' and that's a game where additional crew increases the armor and speeds up the reload time a lot.

My biggest problem as a driver is I can't tell the gunner what to shoot at, while a lot of gunners don't shoot at what I see.

My biggest problem as a gunner is the driver doesn't stop when I need to shoot and often turns the tank around faster than my turret will spin.

I am going to take some time to bind the proper communication keys so I can easily tell what I want, hope that works (sometimes).

Upvote 0
Grobut said:
If your crew are newbies, then yeah you will have problems, but people dont learn if they dont get a chance to practice, and i'll gladly team up with a newbie if he's got the will to use teamplay.
I try...i usually go solo after two death runs in a tiger where they drive me right into north village on Arad and i have to death with 3 tanks at close range...and stop with "learn" crap...that is what practice mode is for

Upvote 0
I understand where this is coming from however i usually go solo in tanks for 2 reasons.

1. the driver is an idiot and wont stop or angle the tank when i say.

or

2. the gunner cant aim for crap.

i find that its just as quick to drive around till you see a tank then quickly switch to gunner and aim and shoot than it is to have a 2 man team. I'm not an expert but i hold my own in a tank often getting 3 tank kills before dying myself

Upvote 0
Oberst Freitag said:
I try...i usually go solo after two death runs in a tiger where they drive me right into north village on Arad and i have to death with 3 tanks at close range...and stop with "learn" crap...that is what practice mode is for

I wish that was true.. but you dont learn team tanking in practice mode, all you learn is that bots cant drive tanks! ;)

Upvote 0
Vietnow said:
i find that its just as quick to drive around till you see a tank then quickly switch to gunner and aim and shoot than it is to have a 2 man team. I'm not an expert but i hold my own in a tank often getting 3 tank kills before dying myself

If you got a driver that knows what he is doing he will conceal the tank while you reload, bring you to hull down position to shoot and hide you totally while you look out of the turret with your binos.

And in my favorite tank, the Stug, you need a good team, as the driver also substitute the turret traverse.
I love the stug for many reasons, but number one is: its a team tank!! :)

Upvote 0
I enjoy the tanking in RO. It reminds me of Forgotten Hope - a BF1942 mod.
The thing is tankin in RO doesnt really need teamwork. Though I really enjoy teamwork I often solo a tank on maps like Arad or Konigs. Then I find a good spot in cover and starts blasting at everything that moves. That way I usually stay on the battlefield 10-12 mins without getting nicked earning fat score. But as soon as some well meaning tank commander/driver sees me we are toast before I can say Ay Caramba!!

Upvote 0