• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

at the gunrange today :) American and german bias :)

theta123

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
So i went to luxembourg today and met Ben aka GuinNess of FH2

First time on M1 garand - YouTube
Colt 1911 at the range - YouTube
Luger at the range - YouTube

Also fired a SMLE but i forgot to film that...
The SMLE shoots awesome
The garands recoil is heavy..i will never ***** about garands recoil on videogames again. Its realistic!
The Colt 1911 was the best! I love it.
and the luger was a big surprise also. The recoil was harder then other 9mm but yet still nice. it FELT nice

Thanks a bunch GuinNess!

So i went to luxembourg today and met Ben aka GuinNess of FH2

The garands recoil is heavy..i will never ***** about garands recoil on videogames again. Its realistic!
The Colt 1911 was the best! I love it.
and the luger was a big surprise also. The recoil was harder then other 9mm but yet still nice. it FELT nice

Thanks a bunch GuinNess!
Garands or any other large caliber rifle....KAR, Enfield, Mosin.....

I smile quite often at the "pro's" that say otherwise.....;) As with any other weapon you shoot on a regular basis, you grow accustomed to it. But that doesn't mean it still doesn't kick like a mule and have quite a recoil......

Upvote 0
Actually, they're pretty mild. I am a very light guy, I've yet to shoot anything I'd consider to have a heavy recoil. My 91/30 is more of a firm shove than any kind of vicious or harsh kick. The Enfield is even milder.

If you haven't got the rifle seated properly in your shoulder, then yes, it'll hurt after a while. Most complaints about recoil come down to bad form, or stance. Shooting off a bench or prone, it'll hit a lot harder since you can't absorb the impulse by moving with it. Standing, though, I could happily shoot WWII rifles all day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually, they're pretty mild. I am a very light guy, I've yet to shoot anything I'd consider to have a heavy recoil. My 91/30 is more of a firm shove than any kind of vicious or harsh kick. The Enfield is even milder.

If you haven't got the rifle seated properly in your shoulder, then yes, it'll hurt after a while. Most complaints about recoil come down to bad form, or stance. Shooting off a bench or prone, it'll hit a lot harder since you can't absorb the impulse by moving with it. Standing, though, I could happily shoot WWII rifles all day.
And I rest my case......;)

My inference from the OP's post was not how "hard" or "uncomfortable" the recoil was, but the fact that the sights don't stay "dead on" or magically return to a perfect sight picture after each shot (Be it rested/unrested/benched/freestanding). And that large caliber guns actually do have substantial recoil.

Upvote 0
And I rest my case......;)

My inference from the OP's post was not how "hard" or "uncomfortable" the recoil was, but the fact that the sights don't stay "dead on" or magically return to a perfect sight picture after each shot (Be it rested/unrested/benched/freestanding). And that large caliber guns actually do have substantial recoil.
I was responding to yours directly, not his, though I will say that 'recoil' in games isn't always that good at mimicking the real motions of a recoiling weapon in real life.

I can't say I have been kicked by a mule, but I have received kicks from both cattle and adult male alpacas and neither were a particularly pleasant experience. I would describe .303 and 7.62x54R as a 'firm shove', as if from another person. I can't speak from experience for other WWII calibres but I wouldn't expect much difference. The strongest-recoiling rifle I've shot is my father's Winchester 70 in 7mm Remington Magnum. You sure feel it, but again, it's hardly 'like a mule'.

People seem to have a really common habit of grossly overstating felt recoil from weapons. The first time I shot a rifle (a .22-250), I was a little apprehensive. It proved to be very mild. Again, .303, I wasn't sure what to expect and had a noticeable flinch until I realised the rifle couldn't hurt me. 12ga, 7.62x54R, 7mm RM... each time I've shot something with more power behind it, I've had that nagging thought that 'this is that calibre that people always complain about hurting them or being really harsh'... and every single time, it's turned out to be really underwhelming compared to my expectations. The only times my rifles have ever caused a bruised shoulder were due to my inexperience the first time (shooting the Enfield prone, I didn't have the buttplate positioned properly and it bounced out and smacked my collarbone), and due to overdoing it the second (many rounds out of the 91/30 immediately after about two hours of nonstop trap shooting and on a day when my shoulder was already feeling iffy).

Many civilian shooters seem surprised that soldiers could tolerate the recoil of WWII rifles all day, every day for weeks or months at a time, but once you establish the correct shooting form and get a feel for it, it's really not bad. Much bigger guys than me hurt themselves with less powerful rifles... it's all in technique.

Upvote 0
Well, gee, ross. Lets worry about semantics and the use of descriptive phrases.....:rolleyes:

Powder types (burn rates), bullet wgt, gas ports, etc. etc. etc all affect the "kick" of a weapon. 12ga vs 20ga shotgun is a prime example. The 20ga has a much more jarring kick than the 12 even though the dram equivalent is much smaller. And also why a 9mm Luger (or a modern unported.38super) has a punch that the .45 doesn't have.

Come on down and we'll step out on the back porch and fire a few thousand rounds downrange in the field behind the house. Anything from .22lr to 7mm Rem Mag in rifle calibers, or from .22lr to .44mag in pistols... .910 to .16ga shotguns...your choice. Its not as if I don't shoot (or haven't shot competitively).......a lot...:cool:

Again, the point I was making (and don't really know what the argument is about) is that in general games to a poor job of replicating recoil. When they do, the playerbase complains (without the benefit of any meaningful weapon experience)......

Bench shooting a weapon involves much more than setting up a few sandbags or stand and pulling the trigger. It takes a while to get it just right... As evidenced by your video, theta123, your posture/position begged for a shoulder tweak....;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0