• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

AT Rifle infantry kills

Knossos

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 9, 2011
Anyone else feel like they are not gory enough? Think about it these rounds are larger than your thumb going right through you at incredible speeds. Yet, all you see is a gunshot wound as if you were just shot by a regular rifle.

I suggest that if you get hit by an AT rifle in any extremity and it is a kill shot, then you should have that arm or leg fly clean off. Similar to when you get gibbed by a grenade or artillery.

What do you think?

Reactions: Joseph-Porta
You do take off limbs sometimes. But you have to remember it's an armour piercing round. It's going to pass through with great ease and deform the bullet little in the process. I imagine you're only going to detach any body parts if you hit a large bone.

Besides, why would you want excessive gore. Isn't it satisfying enough to hit someone at 200m range with it already? ;)

Upvote 0
What do you expect? It already tears of arms legs and heads. It's wound channels are not large enough to do any more. (I'm not 100% sure about legs, but I frequently tear off arms and heads and have gone over to the corpses to confirm.)

For example, a .50 BMG AMAX (which fragments btw) creates a maximum permanent cavity of under 8 inches. That will not tear a grown man in two.

Now, a 14.5mm round produces more energy but is also encased in a very, very thick jacket, and will not fragment.

Therefore, the permanent channel will be a factor of both bullet diameter (~0.585 inches) and bullet length (~5.1cm for some 14.5mm I think.)

That's not enough to cause horrific wounds such as splitting people in two or popping them like balloons (thank you, Rambo, for making people even more ignorant.)

So, in conclusion: large, Anti-Materiel rounds usually only take off limbs due to the fact that they strike bone - the round will yaw or fragment when encountering such hard material creating a wound channel that may result in sheering the limb off, but if it were to strike bone on the torso (say spinal cord) the wound would still be incapable of breaking a man in half, and if the round passes strictly through tissue, that while the temporary cavity may be large, the permanent cavity will only be a factor (as stated above) of bullet diameter and length if it yaws.

I have attached an image of a .50 BMG Mk211 round through ballistics gel. It clearly demonstrates that such a powerful round could not do such things as Hollywood would like you to believe.

Attachments

• 127x99.jpg
    127x99.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
AP rounds meant not to fragment typically display ice pick style wounds. If the temporary cavity doesn't exceed the size of the overall cavity it's not going to have some explosive effect. You'll see a hole in the front and depending if it yaws in tissue you'll see a moderately large exit wound on the back or just another hole slightly larger than the diameter of the bullet. Granted the internal organs will follow out that back hole to a point so you'll see quite a bit of blood.

Try the terminal ballistics forum of m4carbine.net and brassfetcher.com
Quite informative stuff. If you're feeling up to it get a copy of a medical gsw book.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure because I havn't played AT much yet.
But I think this would only apply to the Russian one, which is 14,5mm.
The German is 7,92mm, and I'm not sure if it would be apropriate for that type of round.

I killed a few Germans with the Russian AT rifle, but at long distance. So I couldn't see anything.

The German AT rifle are captured Russian PTRS, renamed.

Upvote 0