• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Asus eeePc: Anyone tried one yet?

Well? Anyone?

I'm thinking about buying one - my current laptop is a PII-233 - and I need something for work / car use.

Now, here's something I'm sorta thinking about. It's evil. Really evil.

The eeePC uses a solid state hard drive. I'm thinking here ... even though it's only got a 900mHz Celeron M, the increased speed from the SS hard drive might make up for a multitude of sins, especially if I upgrade to 2GB of RAM ... it -might- be able to handle RO. :D

Of have heard of these buggers but in the end its a waste of money ...

Make RO run on this will be hard (-->Linux, no steam) and also I dunno what GPU this thing uses.

Also I heard it was developed to make ppl familiar who never owned a Computer in other words its an overpriced toy.

It only will serve good as a biiger iPod (with less HDD space)

Spent a bit more money and get a real laptop atleast that is what I am going to do. I guess for 500€ I am in ...

Upvote 0
Of have heard of these buggers but in the end its a waste of money ...

Make RO run on this will be hard (-->Linux, no steam) and also I dunno what GPU this thing uses.

Also I heard it was developed to make ppl familiar who never owned a Computer in other words its an overpriced toy.

It only will serve good as a biiger iPod (with less HDD space)

Spent a bit more money and get a real laptop atleast that is what I am going to do. I guess for 500

Upvote 0
From Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/01/eee-pc-review-roundup/

We've already seen Laptop Mag's breathless review of Asus' diminutive Eee PC, but now that the thing is finally trickling out to the masses, it's time to check in with the best of the rest -- and it seems like the tiny wonder is living up to all that advance hype. CNET UK found the Eee to be "stonking value for money," complaining only that the keyboard is slightly cramped -- an overall sentiment echoed by PC Magazine, which called the little bugger a "tremendous bargain for people with general-purpose computing needs who don't plan on running any sophisticated software." TrustedReviews was even more positive, saying the keyboard is fine and that the Eee is overall "refreshingly innovative and scandalously cheap." On top of all this praise, NotebookReview has already started hacking away at the Eee and characterized their experiences as demonstrating a "ton of potential." Cheap, fun, and versatile: it certainly seems like Asus has a winner on its hands here -- now if only they'd ship a few more of 'em.

Read -- CNET (7.5 out of 10: "... a near perfect choice for a highly portable second or backup laptop.")
Read -- PC Magazine (4 out of 5: "Ample software and a substantial feature set that's well worth the money")
Read -- TrustedReviews (9 out of 10: "The natural successor to likes of the Psion Series 5 and netBook."
Read -- NotebookReview Eee PC Tweak Guide ("This little machine was as powerful as notebooks four to five times its price.")

Upvote 0
Well, I haven't installed Windows yet, but I did get my eeePC yesterday. (Galaxy black 4G) This thing is pretty impressive .... when I have some spare time (i.e., after my parents are not visiting anymoore, and probably winding up at the next time I decide to burn some vacation days!) I'll probably install Windows and see how things go ...

It will certainly look pretty interesting with the G15 and the MX Revolution sitting next to it! :D

Upvote 0
Since my Wife's laptop just died recently (Will never again buy an HP product),
I am considering one of these for her and I may get one myself just to surf with.

People like to bash the thing but that's because they do not understand it's intended application and actually think it will replace their desktop...pft!

For the price it can't be beat. I may just buy two if my tax refund is big enough this year.

Upvote 0
To me it looks like an iPod that can connect to the interwebs + keyboard + bigger screen. It's looks and sounds great for the price tbh.

heh.

An iPod that can run Vista or XP. That you can put MS Office on. That can play Halo, Morrowind, CS:S ...

That's one hell of an iPod right there!

(BTW, I'm using it to post this message right now. :cool: )

Upvote 0
i just stumbled on this one, the asus eepc has competition..

http://www.techspot.com/news/28519-everex-showcases-399-cloudbook-at-ces.html

I looked at the info for the cloudbook before buying my eeePc, and I was ... less than impressed.

First off, it's a VIA. At only 1.2 gHz, it doesn't really have an edge over the Celeron M. (The Dothan-core Celeron is -not- your grampa's Celeron!)

Second, the memory is only expandable to 1GB, vice 2 on the ASUS.

Third ... I mean, seriously, Everex vs. Asus? Is that even a serious question as far as quality? And even if it was, the Cloudbook is a stripped-down Packard Bell Nanobook. I suspect more than a few of us are old enough to remember Packard Hell ...

Fourth. Yeah, it's got a 30 gig hard drive. So what? I've got about a TB of storage that I can tap into when I get home. Doesn't mean that I need to carry it around with me. 4 GB plus whatever I put in the SDHC slot is plenty. But hey, with only a 4200 rpm drive, at least it won't bottleneck the VIA processor so's you'd notice it. :p

Fifth. Did you notice where the mouse is on the Cloudbook? It's by the right-side screen hinge. The buttons are on the opposite side. It looks to be a stone-cold ***** to use, although given the hole between the sides of the hinges, it might be a little easier to use when you're just holding the thing, not using it setting on a table or anything.

Sixth. It's just plain ugly. Why is the monitor set off to the left side of the unit? For the eeePc, yeah, it's got a huge bezel around the screen ... but at least (a) there are speaker grilles there and (b) there's already pictures out there of the 8- and 8.9-inch units, which have the screen taking up the whole upper portion. And it's in the center of the thing. Not set off insanely to the left.

And ...

Sixth. So it's got a slightly bigger screen. I'll give it that. But still, it's not any higher resolution than the eeePc. It's just bigger. And it's still ugly.

Seriously. If this were US$50 cheaper than the eeePC I might be interested, but as it is ... not really. It will get significant market penetration, though - it's going to be sold through WalMart.

Upvote 0
Since my Wife's laptop just died recently (Will never again buy an HP product),

I keep hearing that.

We've got a PSC 1610, a printer-scanner combo deal. Prints beautifully. Scans fine.

Spent four hours and nine tries to get it to install in Vista. Went through much of the same thing on XP. Doesn't help that the "drivers" are 150mb download, or they take half an hour to install on a new computer.

My wife's old computer was HP, too. Horrible problems with that.

Upvote 0
OK, back to the Eee:
They're getting -really- darned good reviews on Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=asus+eee&x=0&y=0

Maybe I'm missing something, but different colors in the same model are listed with different prices and battery lives.

I'm impressed by the specs.

Are you used to the keyboard yet?

Keyboard has never really been much of a problem for me, except for the right shift key and the ' key. Right shift is too small, so I sometimes hit the up-arrow, and I seem to hit enter instead of the apostrophe too, sometimes. It's not that big of a problem, though, and my typing speed is fine. Accuracy is not a problem either.

As far as different colors having different specs ... That I couldn't comment on. All the 2G's should be the same, as should ....

Actually, I just thought of something. The new 2G's, they might very well have some different specs, on the new ones. There's some indication that the new ones may have been underclocked down to ~500 mHz. (The 4G, 4G Surf, and 8G are at ~630, pending some BIOS revisions which will bring it back up to the rated 900.)

Anyway. The 4G and 4G Surf do have a difference in battery life. 4G has longer battery life, according to specs, which makes no sense. They both have the same battery, and the 4G (longer life) has a web cam, which the Surf doesn't.

Upvote 0
Ack, sorry. I thought "Surf" was a color, not a submodel. That explains the price difference, at least.

Well, as far as I'm concerned the web cam isn't really worth the extra $50, since I really don't plan to use it. The main thing that it's going to be handy for is in case I decide to void my warrantee at some point. The camera is connected to an on-board USB 2.0 port, so I could snip that and put in a bluetooth or an internal flash drive or something. I might do it, might not.

And, since the batteries are the same and the 4G Surf has less hardware in the case, I'm not sure why it is listed with shorter battery life, instead of longer. Makes no sense to me!

Upvote 0