• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Armored Beasts Mutator?

Darkest Hour no longer uses AB, and hasn't since Beta 2.0 in October 2008. Everything you see tanking wise in the Steam release version is mine; of course layed on the foundation of TWI's original work.

When I came on board and took over their vehicle code, it was a mess, and the first thing I did was rip AB out. Don't get me wrong, AB was a step in the right direction for RO tanking as a whole, but there were some problems with it, and frankly the DH team wanted to do much, much more than what was handed down to them. That means I got to work cleaning things up and rewriting a load of critical code.

So there you have it from the horse's mouth, so to speak.;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The main reason I rarely play RO anymore and switched to DH beacuse of better tanking system. Is there any chance in future to have a clone of RO with all the maps, eastfront stuff the same but DH code? I know that DH wouldn't give a code for to have another RO as they worked so hard for it and stuff but wouldn't be cool for people to just have a little bit fun of east front too rather than being only forced to play DH beacuse tanking in RO sucks?

Upvote 0
AB 2.08b in use at our server..... and a slew of others. Just look at the browser. :)

Thnx Mike. On your suggestion, I did go back to the server list to see which were still running the mutator. Loked like about six or 8 tank servers still have the ABM listed. I dont recall the time of day I did this -- early morning PST time I think. Unfortunately when I looked about nobody was actually playing on any of the servers running the mutator.

Does your server still have a player base that likes playing the AB mutator? Just Curious if those folks that like playing RO tank maps prefer the stock Tripwire Tank code -- or if they got more of a kick out of playing the ABM?

As I recall the FKR tank map server and PzDF tank map server used to run the ABM and had a really good player base. But perhaps these folks have moved on to other things.

Upvote 0
Darkest Hour no longer uses AB, and hasn't since Beta 2.0 in October 2008. Everything you see tanking wise in the Steam release version is mine; of course layed on the foundation of TWI's original work.

When I came on board and took over their vehicle code, it was a mess, and the first thing I did was rip AB out. Don't get me wrong, AB was a step in the right direction for RO tanking as a whole, but there were some problems with it, and frankly the DH team wanted to do much, much more than what was handed down to them. That means I got to work cleaning things up and rewriting a load of critical code.

So there you have it from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Hm few days ago I downloaded the Darkest Hour and played it a bit. A great work :). Out of curiosity, I decompiled the code and took a look inside, to see what new things were coded in DH.

And to my great surprise, I saw lots of AB vehicle code and stuff. Function and variable names, formulas, code. The code is modified, improved (like armor slope coefficient parameters), enchanced and in many places greatly expanded with many new features that were not existing in AB. And - what is most important - it works. But it's definitely based on AB code.

I'm not an Unreal coder and back then in AB I had problems with some features that I could not solve. I'm glad someone managed to fix the problems.

The point is, the DH vehicle code I have decompiled today, is clearly written on base of AB code, not made from scratch on base of pure TWI code. (in contrast to the Carpatian Crosses vehicle code was clearly made from scratch based on original RO).

Which makes me very happy :) it's good to know that something you did came in useful for someone/something :).

Regards

Amizaur

Last edited:
Reactions: TT33
Upvote 0