• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] ArmA 3, for real

Apos

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2007
Europe
www.enclave.pl
Bohemia studio just announcement their new game - ArmA 3.

http://www.bistudio.com/index.php/english/games/arma3

Arma 3, the latest installment of the tactical military simulation game from independent developers Bohemia Interactive, creators of the award-winning mil-sim series Arma. Storyline

Survive, Adapt, Win
After years of intense warfare against Eastern armies, Europe has become the last stand for the battered NATO forces. On the verge of being driven into the sea, NATO command embarks upon a most desperate measure. In the hope of seizing what seems to be a well-guarded military secret, Operation Magnitude is launched. A small group of Special Forces and Researchers are sent to a Mediterranean island deep behind enemy lines. However, the mission is compromised and the task force destroyed, leaving Cpt. Scott Miller washed ashore upon the hostile island. In his effort to carry out the mission, he will face the dangers of modern warfare, an unforgiving environment, and the consequences of his own decisions...

• Survive in the rich & authentic environment
  • Adapt to the unsurpassed experience of modern ground combat
  • Win the open-ended & story-driven campaign
Combining the strength of its predecessors with radical engine improvements, Arma 3 provides a unique experience of sandbox-oriented combat gameplay in the most detailed environment of the series.
Key features:

• Single-Player Campaign - evolve from a lone prey into a military commander in the open-ended & story-driven campaign.
  • Vehicles & Weapons - control multitude of aircraft, vehicles and ships with the accurate simulation, shoot from anything from pistols to the sophisticated weapon platforms.
  • Customizable Soldier Load - choose your uniform, assemble your weapon kit, change your loadout, get encumbered.
  • Physical simulation & improved animations - take advantage of PhysX

Upvote 0
We're delighted to introduce Arma 3, the latest installment of the tactical military simulation game from independent developers Bohemia Interactive, creators of the award-winning mil-sim series Arma.

Prague, Czech Republic 19th May - Bohemia Interactive, the award-winning independent Czech development studio, is pleased to announce the development of Arma 3, the brand new installment in its series of critically acclaimed realistic military simulators. Combining over 10 years of experience, building upon the strength of its predecessors, and set in the most detailed environment of the series to date, Arma 3 offers gamers radical engine improvements and a unique sandbox-style military gameplay experience. The next chapter of this stunning military simulation game is scheduled for release exclusively for PC in Summer 2012.

Storyline

Survive, Adapt, Win

After years of intense warfare against Eastern armies, Europe has become the last stand for the battered NATO forces. On the verge of being driven into the sea, NATO command embarks upon a most desperate measure. In the hope of seizing what seems to be a well-guarded military secret, Operation Magnitude is launched. A small group of Special Forces and Researchers are sent to a Mediterranean island deep behind enemy lines. However, the mission is compromised and the task force destroyed, leaving Cpt. Scott Miller washed ashore upon the hostile island. In his effort to carry out the mission, he will face the dangers of modern warfare, an unforgiving environment, and the consequences of his own decisions...
  • Survive in the rich & authentic environment
  • Adapt to the unsurpassed experience of modern ground combat
  • Win in the open-ended & story-driven campaign
Combining the strength of its predecessors with radical engine improvements, Arma 3 provides a unique experience of sandbox-oriented combat gameplay in the most detailed environment of the series.

Key features:
  • Single-Player Campaign - evolve from a lone prey into a military commander in the open-ended & story-driven campaign.
  • Vehicles & Weapons - control multitude of aircraft, vehicles and ships with the accurate simulation, shoot from anything from pistols to the sophisticated weapon platforms.
  • Customizable Soldier Load - choose your uniform, assemble your weapon kit, change your loadout, get encumbered.
  • Physical simulation & improved animations - take advantage of PhysX

Upvote 0
Shame it's on the same engine, that will mean it won't run smoothly for me. >_>

*Hopes for miracle optimization*
HA! Too true man, my PC still doesn't run ARMA 2 very well, though I imagine all I need is a better graphics card.

I hope they make this game ALOT more approachable in terms of interface and command systems than ARMA 2. Otherwise I probably won't consider it. Those screens do look nice for sure, though.

Upvote 0
Well it certainly *looks* amazing, I hope it's actually "smooth" this time, both in terms of UI etc. and performance. BI really need to work out the kinks that CONTINUE to plague this series and have been ever since OFP: CWC. Hope the AI doesn't suck again either.

Nice to see some Merkavas though ;).

EDIT: Argh, just noticed it's on the same damn flawed engine :(.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I believe PhysX will be client side only, so I don't think so it takes significant role ingame, however I'm waiting for more informations :)

Official website is up: http://www.arma3.com/

PhysX is a physics engine. It isn't only limited to splintering wood to 1000 different pieces. It's also responsible for... let's say tank suspension. Considering the state of the (lack of) physics engine in ArmA 2, this should be a considerable leap on that front.

Upvote 0
Great, just what I needed. I am looking at spending $250 on a video card (though I think I will wait until they drop) to run ArmA 2 at low-medium settings, and now ArmA 3 will be out by that time? :(

If it can scale down to look as good as ArmA 2 at low-medium settings while getting the same frame rates, I might get it. But I am not going to buy it if I only get 15-20 frame rates on the lowest settings.

They say they have improved vehicle physics. I hope this is true. The AI spins out of control far too frequently in ArmA 2. Most of the vehicles feel very light as well... I don't feel like I am driving a tank. That being said, now that there is PhysX, it looks like I will be forced to stick with Nvidia again.

But my main issues are:

1) AI. Is it intelligent or dumb?

2) Command interface. Is it quick and easy?

3) Weapon animations. 2011-2012 games should at least provide their own set per weapon.

4) Smooth ironsight to scope switching like in RO2.

5) 3D scopes.

6) Mission editor updates. Being able to load out the soldiers/vehicles in the editor without using the clumsy script system, having a 3D view mode to place structures so you're not playing them overlapping ect.

It looks like they addressed one of my major issues... the rest... doesn't seem like it was changed. Shame.

BI really need to work out the kinks that CONTINUE to plague this series and have been ever since OFP: CWC. Hope the AI doesn't suck again either.

Agreed. I don't care for new weapons (which all behave the same due to the lack of animations), or new vehicles, or even new terrian much. I'd rather have them fix the big issues. I'd pay $10 or so if they addressed at least some of my issues listed above in an addon to ArmA 2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And FN 2000s? For the US military? Shame to see them going with completely random weapon selections. It was ok in a game like BFBC2, but ArmA? :confused: Maybe they where picked up at an ammo box, but considering they are used in all the pics makes me think otherwise.

I'm certain it will be horribly good :D.

Bet they go for a Steam distribution :eek:.

GG.

Considering the first two games and all of the ArmA 2 addons are on Steam, I would not be surprised.

I will opt out of a Steam version if I plan on getting it just like I did for ArmA 2. I need every bit of performance, so Steam running in the background would be an issue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0