• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Are there really silencers to be unlocked?

There is for the Nagant revolver only. While these were most likely not used on the front during the war, they DID actually exist.

Interestingly, normal revolvers can't be silenced due to the gap between the cylinder. No matter what you do to the end of the barrel, gases will escape at the gap, making a loud noise. The Nagant 1895, however, pushes the cylinder foward to seal this gap, so you CAN put a silencer on it. They called it the Bramit device.

There's one on display at the CIA museum. It may have been used for assassinations in Russia, being the only handgun that can be silenced AND not throw brass, like a semi-auto pistol.

Upvote 0
There is for the Nagant revolver only. While these were most likely not used on the front during the war, they DID actually exist.

Interestingly, normal revolvers can't be silenced due to the gap between the cylinder. No matter what you do to the end of the barrel, gases will escape at the gap, making a loud noise. The Nagant 1895, however, pushes the cylinder foward to seal this gap, so you CAN put a silencer on it. They called it the Bramit device.

There's one on display at the CIA museum. It may have been used for assassinations in Russia, being the only handgun that can be silenced AND not throw brass, like a semi-auto pistol.

This. You know your stuff, I was going to post something similar but probably less informative. Thanks. ;)

Upvote 0
the only handgun that can be silenced AND not throw brass, like a semi-auto pistol.

It's the only revolver that can be suppressed and not throw brass. Plenty of other handguns can be. Break-top single/double barrels, bolt action, lever-action pistols etc can all be suppressed and don't throw brass unless you want them to. Yes minor detail, I know sorry. :D

Upvote 0
Yeah, it is a pretty cool design. Unfortunately, this makes the double action trigger pull EXTREMELY heavy. If you're not cocking the hammer between shots, your accuracy is going to be pretty off. Normal double actions spin the cylinder and cock the hammer. The Nagant has to do that AND push the cylinder forward.

And you have to load and unload it one chamber at a time, like the Colt Single Action Army (rather than a swing out cylinder).

But hey, I don't know of any other guns that you can get in great condition for only $100!

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=350&name=Russian+M1895+7.62x38R+Nagant+Revolver

Well except the Mosin Nagant of course :)

Upvote 0
It's the only revolver that can be suppressed and not throw brass. Plenty of other handguns can be. Break-top single/double barrels, bolt action, lever-action pistols etc can all be suppressed and don't throw brass unless you want them to. Yes minor detail, I know sorry. :D

Good point! I love exceptions to rules!

Capable of being suppressed is one thing, but have suppressors EVER been made for a lever-action, bolt action, or breaktop pistol that you know of? I only ask because I would love to see one.

Upvote 0
Good point! I love exceptions to rules!

Capable of being suppressed is one thing, but have suppressors EVER been made for a lever-action, bolt action, or breaktop pistol that you know of? I only ask because I would love to see one.

If you have the tools, and one of the above guns, then yes! Threading a barrel isn't difficult, and suppressors are abundant and mostly cheap, if somewhat heavily federally regulated in the USA.

Upvote 0
If you have the tools, and one of the above guns, then yes! Threading a barrel isn't difficult, and suppressors are abundant and mostly cheap, if somewhat heavily federally regulated in the USA.

Indeed. I heard it is a lot of paperwork and fees and probably not worth it. And its legality probably changes based on state and local laws.

Lol, I just imagined an assassin with a bolt action, silenced handgun. Probably the anti-James Bond. He probably wears a flannel rather than a tux.

Upvote 0
Indeed. I heard it is a lot of paperwork and fees and probably not worth it. And its legality probably changes based on state and local laws.

Lol, I just imagined an assassin with a bolt action, silenced handgun. Probably the anti-James Bond. He probably wears a flannel rather than a tux.

Hahaha. Nice!

It's $200 on top of the cost of the suppressor and any gunsmithing that might need done. .22 suppressors start @ $300.

Then you wait 2-6mo for the ATF to discover you aren't a psychopath. It's not terrible, I'm going through the process for an SBR right now.

Upvote 0