• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Are there plans to improve the bots?

shaBAM!

Mar 12, 2006
Hello everyone!

I've been having an absolute blast with the game. I was just wondering if there are plans to improve the bots in the future. Its nothing I'm dying for, I am just curious.

Apologies if this has already been asked.

Thanks in advance!

Yoshiro said:
The magic 8 ball says... maybe?

In all honesty we are still gathering our plans on what to add.
I would LOVE to see some improvements on the bots.

I'm not sure if ANY of this is possible.

For example waypoints for specific roles. On defense, waypoints that machine gunners move to to set up, waypoints that snipers move to, various places for rifleman, ect.

Then on the offensive, would it be possible to do something like, a rifleman moves to a waypoint behind a box or some type of cover. He waits there for say 30 seconds and fires on the enemy. If he isn't killed he moves to the next waypoint. Repeat until capturing all objectives.

I would think that this would be less work than making some full blown AI. I don't actually know to be honest, though.
Just a thought.

EDIT: I just want bots on offense to stop rushing objectives without stopping once to do something like prone or duck to fire a few times, it bugs me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It varies widely, it seems. Sometimes bots will behave very realistic and fight well - other times they'll goof up amazingly.

The pathing has improved a lot from the mod. The tank driving still needs work. For infantry bots, I'd like to have waypoints for them where they would use satchels (so that they can blow up satchel objectives).

Upvote 0
Helmut_AUT said:
It varies widely, it seems. Sometimes bots will behave very realistic and fight well - other times they'll goof up amazingly.

The pathing has improved a lot from the mod. The tank driving still needs work. For infantry bots, I'd like to have waypoints for them where they would use satchels (so that they can blow up satchel objectives).

I scarcely see them fighting realisticly. Once and awhile I'll see some bots holding up in a position when I order them to, ducking and firing and whatnot, but unfortunently these times are few and far between. Another thing is that it seems like they hate to follow my orders when on the offensive, whenever I tell them to defend something they rarely do it. This may just be me.

Heres a question for the a dev, if a bot is killed while carrying out an order, does he continue the action or does he go on doing something else. For example you order a bot to defend something when he is normally attacking something, if the bot is killed does he continue attacking or continue defending?
Sorry if that was confusing.

Upvote 0
When my ded server plays Bondarevo with 'battle-hardened' bots, the axis bots just drive into the spawn wall on the left making a total pileup and only occasionally does one make it out of the spawn. The bots do this every time I have Bondarevo on so it is off our rotation until fixed or I find a workaround (we always have bots on btw).

I've also had axis bots get into a traffic jam in the SE-most spawn on Arad.

My bots never seem to defend anything I order them to, if they are engaging or close to an enemy they won't move/retreat to the ordered objective, they will continue firing or walking towards any enemy within 5 parsecs. They should lay down some suppressing fire and make quick their way to the objective for my money.

Upvote 0
The bots do act quite odd at times I agree!
Just the other evening while playing with them in practice mod on Stalingrad Kessel, all was going well, I was on the German team trying to cap various objectives, when all of the sudden I realised 'hey I sure haven't seen any bots in awhile friendly or otherwise.'
After looking all over the map with them nowhere to be found I heard some accordion music..I followed that to the nethermost reaches of the warehouse and lo and behold there all 28 of them are..partying and playing cards!
I was in the Commander role and when I gave them orders to 'get back ta work!', they all jumped up at once from the table, threw down the cards and accordions, started insulting me, and proceeded to shoot.
I narrowly escaped with my life, true story. Quite a harrowing experience!
I've got some screenshots to prove it all and I'll perhaps post them sometime..after the trauma wears off of course.

Mori

Upvote 0
Can I shake the magic 8 ball again? :(

EDIT:OK, so maybe I AM dying for some bot improvements.

Ever since Day of Defeat 1.3 sturmbots, I always perfered playing FPS with one or two friends and bots. I haven't the slightest idea why. I just find it more satisfying for some reason. I can play sniper when I want to, I can use an MG if I want to, I can play a leadership role if I want to. Maybe thats it. Or maybe its because I don't have to deal with assholes online, or little kids with mics. Maybe its because I never really feel like everyone else is going lone wolf. It could be a mix of all these things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In closing, I think bot improvements should be higher up on the dev's to-do list than they most likely are. Many servers have bots running on them, and later at night the majority of players are bots. Not to mention just making game more friendly to people without a fast internet connection.

This will probably :) be the last time I'll bump this thread.

Upvote 0