• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
I am thinking of taking Archery classes.

The sarcastic reason would be to defend myself in case of ... Zombie Apocalypse... I know too much videogames and walking dead....

The possible partly distant realistic reason is I would like to be able to defend myself in the 5% worst case scenario of world going to ****.

The realistic reason... I like to learn odd things.

Granted I could get a gun... I know people who know people... (because guns are very hard to find here)

But I would rather train myself into something more artistic, and more importantly... Something safer... Anyone can shoot a gun by accident, but a bow and arrow... you really have to be retarded to accidentally shot someone.... granted still very very possible.

I would also be willing to make my own bow for the experience

... but this I found is less of a headache
http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-other-Hunting-bow-with-arrows-W0QQAdIdZ365394371

What do you guys think ?

Last edited:
How about crossbows? Are they allowed in Canada? They're certainly easier to use, though if you're in it for the sport I guess that's actually a bad thing.

A friend of mine has the type where you're actually supposed to put your foot in a loop and pull the string back with all your strength. That thing throws them faster than some pistol bullets, drops deer in their tracks.

That Korean is pretty good, but the old archer on American Rifleman's impossible shots has banked his arrow off no less than 3 separate surfaces to reach a target before, as well as hitting a drop of water in mid air dead on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Archery is incredibly difficult and challenging at first. I've only shot a few times, but from what I've heard, it's a very rewarding thing to master/get good at.

But... defending yourself with a bow or a crossbow? LMFAO! You'd be better off going through the trouble to get a firearm for defense. It's incredibly hard to accidentally kill someone with a firearm as well. You would definitely have to be a "retard." I can understand hunting and art, but defense? :D

Are you sure you're not high off Hunger Games, too? :p At the retail store I work at, our sales have more than doubled for archery due to Hunger Game wet dreams and fanboy/girlism.

Bows are very complicated and not the average Joe can just make one. There are a lot of calculations that go into it: arm span, upper body strength, etc. I don't think I'd try and build one myself. Many things can go wrong, like putting an arrow through your hand.

Upvote 0
I shot my brother in the left thigh at fifty yards distance when we were kids.
He was standing in the center ring, I was in the six yard box on the football pitch, up the park.
Sorry...:D...

I had to take up darts after that, now, that was fun...:eek::D:eek:.
We took turns at being the dartboard.

Upvote 0
Archery is great! It's a perfect replacement for shooting as a sport and you can shoot basically everywhere you want without disturbing anybody! Do make sure you have a safe place to shoot, as in a archery club or a very big garden/ranch. It takes a lot of training though, but it's not insanely difficult ( As some claim ), especially with the kinds of bows they have these days. You rarely have to buy more arrows if you found the kind of arrow you like to shoot with ( carbon fibre, wood? ). Another great thing is that it is just really cool to know how to shoot a bow. There's a lot of bows to choose from, but you might be better off just going for a visit to an archery center, they're always helpful in giving advice about the purchase.

Little boring detail, my grandpa and great-grandpa were masters at competitive archery, my great-grandpa is on a big painting in our province history museum. Sadly I couldn't learn it from them.

Crossbow, meh, that's for wussies really :p. Then you could just as well get a gun, crossbow takes the fun out of archery.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Archery is brilliant fun! Just a few words of advice...

1) Start off with a beginners course, almost all clubs have this and will provide most of the bows and arrows for you, this means your not gonna spend 700 dollars for bows and arrows just to realize your not as into is as thought...

2) When buying a bow and arrow, DO NOT BUY ONLINE! You need to find a bow and a set of arrows that you find comfortable shooting, and even the most minor of differences can cause a massive change in the feeling of the bow. Go to a store and they will be able to access you and let you trial 2 or 3 sets before you buy anything. If you ARE going to buy online, know exactly what brand, length and drawback you want.

3) Join a club, people are nice and the coaches know what they are doing. I've never seen an idiot on an archery line ;)

4) Learn your discipline with a barebones recurve bow, the first part of your pratice should be your bow discipline, that is, how to properly stand, breathe, and shoot the bow, score doesn't matter unless you learn all of these things. and using accessories or a compound will make you lazy ;)

5) Archery clubs will allow all types of bows, and most outdoors will also allow crossbows, so don't worry about what type of bow you have to use :)

6) For the love of god, don't be like some idiots, and put the bolt on a crossbow while cocking the string.... cock the string, THEN put the bolt on! If you come to these forums saying you've manaaged to pin yourself onto the ground, expect massive laughs and scolding from me ;)

7) Most importantly have fun

PS. Although made redundant by the firearm, the bow and crossbow are still a surprisingly effective hunting tool, anyone who says otherwise has not seen what a steel razor-tip fired from a 120lb compound can do to something ;) It's also much easier to get a hunting permit on private land when using bows and arrows, as they are quiter and ususally alot safer. But that doesn't mean you can be stupid with them ;)

Upvote 0
On a sidenote, I find archery to be much more fun with a simple bow without counterweights, pulleys and sights.

Just a simple recurve composite bow, a string and some arrows, and a place to shoot where you don't accidentaly hurt someone when you miss your target.

If you don't have much upper body and arm strength, a 15 to 30 kg pull should be ideal. Just make sure you can keep your arm stretched out. If it's too hard to keep it straight and thus overstretch it a little, it really hurts if the string is hitting it.

Upvote 0
But... defending yourself with a bow or a crossbow? LMFAO! You'd be better off going through the trouble to get a firearm for defense. It's incredibly hard to accidentally kill someone with a firearm as well. You would definitely have to be a "retard." I can understand hunting and art, but defense? :D

In the right hands a bow is a very deadly tool. Don't you remeber John Rambo??? :D All joking aside .. This lady would turn you into a human pin cushin if you broke in.

Super Fast Archery Shooter - YouTube[/URL]

Upvote 0
I will tell you the one thing I learned from my literally 20 minutes of archery experience:

get a bracer of some sort or your forearm is gonna hurt like hell from the bowstring whipping against it over and over.

Your probably overextending your arm, make sure your not buckling your elbow outward ;)

but yes get an arm brace, that bowstring can do a bit of damage to your skin if it gets whacked the right way.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I've taught archery to tourists.
If you regulate it well, it is pretty safe but you'll be amazed at the amount of people who try to shoot a bow and arrow, have the arrow lined up and the string pulled, then get asked a question and then proceed to turn their body around... You have to stand there and stop them from doing it constantly lol.

Getting good at it is hard, but with a lot of practice nothing is impossible.
Stance and upper body strength is everything. You need to get a feel for how hard you've got to pull back the string and the arc of the arrow though, and you only get that with lots of practice.
Aiming isnt the easiest thing like that either, as you dont always pull with the same strength, your arms get tired and start shaking etc.

You need some commitment to properly learn it though.
Most of the people who I've taught got bored after half an hour despite doing funny games and stuff like that.

Also:
America's got talent - Amazing Archery - YouTube

I want her to have my babies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've taught archery to tourists.
If you regulate it well, it is pretty safe but you'll be amazed at the amount of people who try to shoot a bow and arrow, have the arrow lined up and the string pulled, then get asked a question and then proceed to turn their body around... You have to stand there and stop them from doing it constantly lol.
Oh my god, I can't stand it when people do that with firearms either. Every time I take someone new to the range, they are always waving guns around in every single direction. And it takes about five times yelling at them to stop doing it. And don't even get me started on people who have their fingers glued to the trigger at all times... :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Upvote 0