• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map April Showers - The map made in 12 hours.

Moz

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
EDIT:

THIS VERSION IS NOW OUTMODED

PLEASE REFER TO THIS THREAD.

Eat my bayo *****es.

shot00402me9.jpg

This started as a prototype (to see if it would ve viable as a map setup)

Then I had way too much fun just running around the 20 meter by 20 meter square of forest I made so I expanded it abit (seriously half assed I may add)

This map is at a very WIP stage (IE, ****ty) but no further work will be done on it.

This is an infantry MAP
  • Rifle's only.
  • No Grenades.
  • There are also likely a billion things to get snagged on.
  • It's also tiny,
  • 6-12 players max I'd guess.
  • Bot pathing works.
  • I'd like to think of this map as a doodle.
:p

DOWNLOAD HERE

shot00403rf4.jpg

Last edited:
I did something and the ****ing spawns are broken.

Posting thread BEFORE you close UED is never a good idea.

edit:

Holy **** this map is frantic with 10 players.

Tell me what you guys think, And how does it run on your hardware. I might consider doing a serious map in this style.

Download

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Right, so I'm apparently the first one to respond with actual gameplay experience:

I think you aimed low when you designed this map--and you hit your target!

I think the size is good, the fog distance is perfect, the heavy, heavy rain is cool, and the wacky always recappable 4 objectives are a great surprise. I was expecting one, maybe two objectives, but four is way better.

I got 130 fps not looking at anything, during normal play I was getting 90-120 fps, but one time looking at the IS2s with 4 bots on screen it dropped to 60fps (but I did have 31 bots going, and maybe they were all trying to bayo each other behind my back). Then again, I have a 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo with a 7900GS video card, so I basically will never have any fps issues on any RO map.

I would suggest that you steal WickedPenguin's rushing water from Kolno rather than have that dorky standing water--it's pouring so much, there's no way that it would be standing water. Or go insane with 1000s of water drops on the surface of the water. And some goldfish in there.

It would be neat to have super-dramatic flashes in the map from lightning or arty--you know, hollywood action-showdown style. Is that something that you could practice on this map that would be useful on another map?

Upvote 0
Great map - servers well as intermission between more serious maps.
Played it last night with 4 humans and a few bots and did not have any fps issues (9800Pro, 2.2GHz, 1Gig Ram).
Imho the fog distance could be a bit further, but then again I have no played it with 31 participants like Britney

And some goldfish in there.
Goldfish? Go big, or go home: I want sharks :D

Btw: It's up on the =213= server if anyone wants to try it out with human players.

Upvote 0
On the whole, Moz, nobody looks that closely at envmaps during a fight. The water is going to be all churned up with splashes and that anyway. However, the envmap you're using at the moment does appear to be noticeably wrong even when things get hectic.

For the texenvmap for the water you should change the envmaptype parameter to EM_worldspace - it stops the reflection panning around and looking a bit weird as the player moves.

Making a cubemap and thus a texenvmap to look broadly reflective (pardon the pun) of the environment isn't too difficult. You can see a tute for it on angelmapper.com and at a few other places as well. In Kolno one envmap was used for one water location - you prolly won't have that luxury as you have streams all over the place. In a case like yours, it helps to make one that just generally looks right in a lot of places rather than lots of texenvmaps that look exactly right in one, saving loads of gfx memory. The only problem I got with making cubemaps is that it does not appear to be possible to set the screen size as recommended in, for example the angelmapper tute.

In your case I would suggest temporarily selecting and removing all the trees from around somewhere fairly flat in the centre of the map then taking the 6 screenies from there. (Actually the screenie for the bottom is irrelevant as no-one will ever see it so you can just repeat one of the other 5 in there to save you a few kb of texture memory)

The reason for removing nearby objects is that reflections of close-up trees look really huge and bogus when they appear in the reflective parts of any water surface, which are generally the far away parts anyway due to angles of incidence - espesh if you use the env map as a diffuse layer rather than a specularity layer in a shader.

I ran into this kind of situation when I did Pripyat as an experiment rather than a proper map. If you want to have a look at that (and its, if I say so myself, awesome mosquito emitter) you can find it at http://www.redstarblackcross.com/maps/RO-Pripyat_B1.rom.uz2 (I think that's the version that has it) It's a big ol' map - prolly because I hadn't got the hang of culling and compressing textures when I made it. :S

Last edited:
Upvote 0