• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

April 21st RO2/RS Update Changelog

prefer mp40? why, it doesnt have anything better than PPSh in IOM. Conversely, PPSh is much better in everything

Not really. Some prefer accurate firing weapon because they can aim, not like other who rely on spray and pray to hit "something". On long ranges the MP40 is superior, and in close quarters it really doesn't matter because both weapons will drop you with like 2-3 hits.

Perun58, thanks for the info but we are talking about the game not the real life. Besides, why you are merging both for the russian weapons but saying the mosin and the k98 are identical in the game? In the real life k98 is way better produced than the mn. Its the more reliable rifle overall.

Also why you think there's Axis stacking if they are not "somehow" better choice? :rolleyes: By the sound of it, it seems like there's no point to pick that team as you are saying but I never heard of Allies stacking.

Modern day setting - sure, Russians any day, but in WW2 themed game, there's not really any point to pick that team.

Upvote 0
Not really. Some prefer accurate firing weapon because they can aim, not like other who rely on spray and pray to hit "something". On long ranges the MP40 is superior, and in close quarters it really doesn't matter because both weapons will drop you with like 2-3 hits.

MP40 and PPSh are similar in recoil, PPSh is better in accuracy. No idea what are you talking about

Upvote 0

Perun58, thanks for the info but we are talking about the game not the real life. Besides, why you are merging both for the russian weapons but saying the mosin and the k98 are identical in the game? In the real life k98 is way better produced than the mn. Its the more reliable rifle overall.

Also why you think there's Axis stacking if they are not "somehow" better choice? :rolleyes: By the sound of it, it seems like there's no point to pick that team as you are saying but I never heard of Allies stacking.

Modern day setting - sure, Russians any day, but in WW2 themed game, there's not really any point to pick that team.

In real life you can make 5 Mosins instead of 1 Mauser and when it comes to reliability you won't find more realible rifle on Earth then Mosin. There is nothing that can go wrong with the rifle. It also works better in cold weather then Mauser.

I remember game where allies outnumbered Germans in rati 2:1 ;).

When it comes to PPSh41 vs MP40 - MP40 has rate of fire around 500 rpm .. PPSh-41 from 900 to 1300 and it's rounds have better peneration.
There is no weapon in WW2 (maybe even today) that would give me bravery to go against this monster in rooms. I remember (even in game where PPSh has ridiculously big recoil) I could easily take down four germans at once (at least one of them had MP-40) and when I meet guy with MP-40 in the game in the room having PPSh I win in 80% of cases.

About accuracy - effective range of PPSh-41 is around 150m and effective range of MP-40 around 80 metres. In the game I remember killing guy 150 metres away when only head was visible and still barely and I definitely wasn't spraying.

Only advantage MP-40 has over PPSh is folding stock and it's generally more practical but this is not such big advantage unless you're recon unit or tank crew.

Besides even if MP-40 was better for longer distances it's not actually what SMG is made for.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This discussion is seriously going offtopic.

If anything it proves that some people like playing as russian more and some like playing as german more.

In the end though the maps were balanced to have equal amounts of russians and germans. So if a team is full even when you prefer to play on that side, you should play on the other side, or wait till someone else joins their side.

I put the bug into TWI's bugtracker after someone told me about it (or maybe i read it in these forums). Feel free to blame me for reporting it.

Upvote 0
Count how many times the MN jammed

Mosin Nagant Speed Shooting and Remedial Action Drills - YouTube

and now count how many times the Kar jammed

Mauser K98 - Fast shooting - 5 shots in 4 seconds - YouTube

Seriously, the MN that were selected for sniper rifles had to be hand picked in the factory by the worker because their quality is crap while every single Kar98 was built with top notch quality. Quality over quantity.

Still I don't see why you want to compare the real life rifles and smgs. What the real life MP40 and PPSh stats have to do with the game? In the game the PPSh is bad for long range engagement and its real life stats doesn't change that.

Upvote 0
Count how many times the MN jammed

and now count how many times the Kar jammed

Seriously, the MN that were selected for sniper rifles had to be hand picked in the factory by the worker because their quality is crap while every single Kar98 was built with top notch quality. Quality over quantity.

Still I don't see why you want to compare the real life rifles and smgs. What the real life MP40 and PPSh stats have to do with the game? In the game the PPSh is bad for long range engagement and its real life stats doesn't change that.

You obviously was never shooting bolt-action rifle.
If you do fast fireing and you're not skilled enough to operate the bolt quickly you won't sucessfully feed.. since it's manual rifle problem is not in the gun but in the shooter. Guy even said in his video he TRIED fast fireing. Since I have practice with my Mosin I can shoot faster then him without jamming.. give me Mauser I was never shooting with and with similar rate of fire it will be jamming show.

Unless bolt is damaged there is no way for bolt-action rifle to JAM itself... it's YOU who is manipulating the bolt.

count james here:
MOSIN VERSUS MAUSER - RAPID FIRE AND RELOADS - YouTube

this guy is skilled with his Mosin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I fired a bolt action rifle. My hunting rifle is bolt action rifle actually, but I never fired in "speed shooting".

Apologies then.
Fast fireing for a first time is very difficult, but with practice you can't have problems with jamming (if rifle is loaded correctly!). Many people also say Mosin's bolt is not smooth... if you care about your rifle and care about your bolt it's smooth as butter. There are tons of videos on the internet how to make Mosin's bolt smoother.

Generally they're both reliable but Mosin's system is simplier making it easier for repair and produce.
Mosin has better reliability in strong winter though.

If Russians were equiped with Mausers they would never had enough rifles to equip their soldiers.. and since many of their soldiers were rookies and there was little time for training because they had enemies already in the country Mosin was ideal. You can completely dissasemble the rifle using just hands and bayonet and in any enviroment. You are right that they had to choose Mosins for sniper rifles, but you need to understand it's not problem of Mosin system itself. Germans had low quality rifles too in the end of war because they simply haven't enough.

I am not saying Mosin is better rifle, I am just saying like many people it's individual preference (which is what guy in the video said too :) ). Both rifles are amazing.

Mauser is high quality, accurate and practical.
Mosin is simple, completely indestructible, very reliable and can be produced in LARGE numbers.

I think around 14milion Mosins were made in WW2.

About PPSh in the game I had better luck on longer distances with PPSh then with MP-40.. but on longer distances it's seriusly only about luck.

Just for fun :):
Mosin Nagant Torture Test: Part 1 - YouTube

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know this is serious OT, but I have to say it...
Dear sir, you are totally wrong!
On every army sniper rifles were just selected from the most accurate ones straight from the factory except... Soviet Russia. There was manufactured top quality line of MN 91/30 sniper version with bent bolt handle and scope mount - it was first in history of military weapon designed as sniper rifle...
As a lover of Polish Mauser wz. 29 I believe I am neutral in this dispute :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, its nothing like that. The axis weapons are better, especially the MG, their uniforms look cooler and they have better color pattern for the urban maps, the more experienced players always join the axis, the axis team win in 90% of the time in non russian based servers. Whats the point to join in the Allies team then?

the point is to have a real challenge. :cool:

joining the stronger side is noob mentality - I'm sorry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Excuse me for my interruption, but everyone is so aggressive on this Axis/Allies side decision.

It's not fair of you (you know who you are) accusing us, who prefer the Axis team all the time, to "like" Nazis or be some crazy nationalists. I don't care for either the weapons or the uniforms, because I like the uniforms of both sides and I also admit that the Russian weapons are superior to German (which is why I usually pick them off the ground while being on the Axis side, same thing with the Japanese, to be honest).

But is it wrong of me to simply like the German culture, language and military traditions more than the Russian side? And I'm not gonna start talking about the evil Russian occupation of my country again.

I don't care if the Axis team is stronger or weaker - I simply prefer them more. End of story.

Upvote 0
I see the need to even sides up.

But as can be seen from the reactions, there is a demand to join a certain team. And the reasons for that should not easily be dismissed as racism or unfairness.

I used the glitch on occasion if I wanted to play with friends together in one team. One of my friends has a very, very slow internet connection. As a result he nearly always ends up on the japanese or russian side. The glitch gave him the chance to play on the other sides as well.

Because of this situation I suggest two queuing options:

1) to join a desired team inside a server

2) to join a server that is full.

The reason for the latter: picture that you see friends playing in a full server, and that you want to join that server. You have to either endlessly click and go through the tiresome "server is full - try again" procedure or convince them to leave that server in the heat of the battle and join a different server that, at the time everyone is ready to change, might be full as well.

Upvote 0
I see the need to keep sides relatively/somewhat even as overwhelmingly more important than stacking a certain side because that is the one you want to play on. It matters not if some of your friends are on that side.

Besides, in a situation like that, do you (those that play only one side) think it is fair to overwhelm the other side with more players like that? Is it really fun to play with that much less of a challenge because you outnumber them?

Last edited:
Upvote 0