• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Question] Any way to completely disable texture streaming?

octiceps

Grizzled Veteran
May 28, 2012
Is there anyway to preload all textures and completely disable texture streaming in this game, or is Unreal Engine 3 incapable of that? My system, with 8GB DDR-1333 RAM and 1GB GDDR5 VRAM should be able to preload all textures just fine. I simply hate the texture pop-in when spectating and entering new areas of the map. It causes a split-second hitch in the frame rate as well, and I've been killed a few times already just because my game stuttered at the wrong time.

So far, I've already disabled my AV and increased the texture streaming poolsize in ROEngine.ini from 140 MB to 512 MB. The only thing this has done is reduced the freeze during pop-in from 1-3 seconds down to a split second, but it is still there. I've also edited the line "bUseTextureStreaming=TRUE" to "bUseTextureStreaming=FALSE" but all that did is force no textures to be loaded, making the make completely blacked out, so the value must be set to true.

Any suggestions?

Try this one
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=911384&postcount=74

The file to change is C://Users/USERNAME/Documents/My Games/RedOrchestra2/ROGame/Config/ROEngine.ini
If you read my OP carefully, I've already stated that I've looked at the ROEngine.ini file in that folder and there is no option to completely disable texture streaming without severe visual degradation. The one option that I turned off not only disabled texture streaming but blacked out all textures. I've tried that tweak you gave. It's increased the level of detail on the some of the textures and the foliage pop-in distance has been reduced but the pop-in and stuttering are all still there.

Upvote 0
I'm also interested in this. You can improve things a bit by changing all LODBias=0 to LODBias=-2 in engine.ini (except maybe skeletal and particle). You can also increase MinLODSize= to your liking (I'd suggest 512 or 1024). This increases the lowest detail level but there will unfortunatly still be streaming.

Upvote 0