• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Any tips for sight?

foxtwo

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2011
dont know if this should be in the "tactics" suggestion, if it is then please tell me and I'll delete it

I'm using a bolt action rifle on maps like fallen fighters and despite the distance between the two rows of buildings I"m finding it nigh impossible to spot someone at a measly 100 meters, I fear I may have set a certain in game graphic too low to see anyone because it seems whenever I pop my head up with my back to the wall (no major silhouette) I get it removed.

is there a FOV I should keep the game at?. I feel like I need to jam my face into the monitor to see anything. again this only really occurs on fallen fighters, where maps like *draws blank* that new wide open trench map I can at least see heads silhouette

thanks for the tips guys

I find more than anything the AA in the game makes it harder to see.I use ultra its much improved over the rest.If your pc can't handle ultra AA turning it off will improve your sight.Sometimes its just too far away when the enemy is behind a dark background when it like that just look for players elsewhere.They are easier to see when they are in the snow.Its just hard to see them in FF map when they are in the windows with a dark background.

Edit- Many times I will get a kill on a guy and I only see his muzzle flash when they fire.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Utilize the focus zoom, but even that is still well below eyesight quality, so you'll just have to wait on eventually learning to identify which clump of pixels signifies a player. There is no silver bullet of a detail setting, and even after all this time, I still find myself plinking the ends of hedgehogs and other protruding helmet-shaped silhouettes.

Reactions: Shadrach
Upvote 0
dont know if this should be in the "tactics" suggestion, if it is then please tell me and I'll delete it

I'm using a bolt action rifle on maps like fallen fighters and despite the distance between the two rows of buildings I"m finding it nigh impossible to spot someone at a measly 100 meters, I fear I may have set a certain in game graphic too low to see anyone because it seems whenever I pop my head up with my back to the wall (no major silhouette) I get it removed.

is there a FOV I should keep the game at?. I feel like I need to jam my face into the monitor to see anything. again this only really occurs on fallen fighters, where maps like *draws blank* that new wide open trench map I can at least see heads silhouette

thanks for the tips guys

As others have said, if it is available, use the focus/zoom key to give you a bit more detail to see long distance targets better.

Even then you won't see much detail of your target at a distance (who's an enemy and who's a friendly) so the best bet is to observe how they run.

Upvote 0
Also, most maps have _a lot_ of good places to hide, and only experience teaches you what places are safe. Conversely, almost any spot you can figure the first many games are the spots where enemy riflemen expect people to show up, and look for it. Once you have fired your gun, the muzzle flash have given away your position and it is time to relocate unless you have to counter a charge from the enemy side.

Upvote 0
if you own an ati card (i think 5xxx+) you can disable the ingame aa and use catalysts mlaa. imho it looks a bit sharper than the ingame options, and eats less performance. some texts will get blurry, but it's not bad for a postprocessing aa.
also, fallen fighters seems to have dynamic fog, sometimes you have good visibility, sometimes you can't see s**t ;) if you don't like the weather just wait 5 minutes.
another thing you might want to try is the enhanced postprocessing in the graphics options. it enhances the colors and on many maps the visibility is better compared to the default setting.

Upvote 0
settings wise I recommend : Bloom off - ambient occlusion off - depth of field off - motion blur off - FXAA low/off

That's what i use and i usually have no trouble shooting hitting moving targets @ 100m+ from prone position

FXAA off makes the game look noticeably sharper but i can't stand the sight of jaggies :p

The way i see it there are only 3 ways to make your picture look as sharp as it was in RO1

1) FXAA injpector, although the performance hit would be significant judging by the BF3 player feedback, it also seems that you need to experiment a lot until you're satisfied with the end result.

2) force MSAA from NVCP, tried that when i first got my gtx570, everything soooo much crisper but then i couldn't access the role selection screens, it has been confirmed that the game's MSAA compatibility will be improved sooner or later

3) downscale from a resolution that is much larger that your monitor's native one, i tried to do it with a guide once but it was too complicated, plus my monitor has a 120hz refresh rate so yeah

Upvote 0
FXAA off makes the game look noticeably sharper but i can't stand the sight of jaggies

Jaggies makes my eyes bleed Being a PC only gamer I refuse to play a game without some sort of AA :p

1) FXAA injpector, although the performance hit would be significant judging by the BF3 player feedback, it also seems that you need to experiment a lot until you're satisfied with the end result.

From what I understand using an injector mod stands a chance of getting banned by PB for altered files.Its a shame to using a mod like this made my Skyrim look 80% better.Too afraid to test it on Ro2 being labeled a cheater is just something I couldn't live with.

Reactions: SoFGR1
Upvote 0

thanks for the tips guys

pls post the screenshoot from you grafikoptions

Upvote 0
I played a bit more fallen fighters. I also played some commissar house and noticed a similar problem. for me everything is a grey blob. I cant see 50 meters without color desaturating and everything to become a grey mess.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198012954413/screenshot/594719743116181332?tab=public

there is my current graphics settings. I'm using an ATI 5770 so nothing too astounding

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/594719743116193917/4C6A98B96C49F33ED1D26562D9900338E0A851B0/

thats what I'm looking at most of the time, and thats with a scoped weapon. ironsights its almost impossible. now the reason I'm asking and showing pictures is because there were a few people who were actively shooting INTO spawn 2 of the german buildings with AVT 40's or SVT's, I cant tell which via icon. so obviously the could see while using iron sights

thanks again guys

Upvote 0
Ah, those particular sight lines on Fallen Fighters are a different matter entirely. That's an explicit feature/side-effect of the map design. Due to the colors of the two buildings, the fog, and the uniforms, the Russians have much better visibility to the German building than the Germans have to theirs. You're at a disadvantage if you try to engage in that sort of shootout there. It's not really a big deal, since building-to-building is so slow and unreliable to be largely useless to the map flow anyway.

Upvote 0
I played a bit more fallen fighters. I also played some commissar house and noticed a similar problem. for me everything is a grey blob. I cant see 50 meters without color desaturating and everything to become a grey mess.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198012954413/screenshot/594719743116181332?tab=public

there is my current graphics settings. I'm using an ATI 5770 so nothing too astounding

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/594719743116193917/4C6A98B96C49F33ED1D26562D9900338E0A851B0/

thats what I'm looking at most of the time, and thats with a scoped weapon. ironsights its almost impossible. now the reason I'm asking and showing pictures is because there were a few people who were actively shooting INTO spawn 2 of the german buildings with AVT 40's or SVT's, I cant tell which via icon. so obviously the could see while using iron sights

thanks again guys

you problem is the "lighting"
move lighting quality to "MEDIUM",
LOW -Lighting make the map "dark"

Upvote 0
..... thats what I'm looking at most of the time, and thats with a scoped weapon. ironsights its almost impossible. now the reason I'm asking and showing pictures is because there were a few people who were actively shooting INTO spawn 2 of the german buildings with AVT 40's or SVT's, I cant tell which via icon. so obviously the could see while using iron sights

That may not exactly be the case, as sometimes when I am using an MG and on my side of the square, I'll sometimes squeeze off a few blind rounds towards the Russian / German Spawn exit and end up taking a couple of guys out or wounding them.... mostly just for suppression purposes (and my video settings are lower than your's in some areas)

The other possibility is that those shooting at you are closer than you realize and are just hiding well..... I can usually see all the way across to the other side of the square, but the people I see I'm targeting are mostly little blobs with little limbs flying around while they run..... I can only guess if they're enemies or friendlies based on how they run and the direction they are heading.

Just yesterday I took out a team mate from across the map because of where they were and me assuming they were an enemy.... you're simply not going to see a lot of detail at that distance no matter what settings you tweak.

I could be wrong of course. ;)

BTW: My signature image below was a shot on Fallen Fighters up on the top floor of the German's side while Stan was running along the square.... sorry but I impressed myself with that one, lol.

Added:

Oh and I also noticed in Fallen Fighters that it kind of starts off with semi-clear skies, then in the middle of the match, the fog/light snow comes in to reduce visibility and then near the end of the round time, starts to clear up again.... so perhaps that's another effect that's causing issues with your visibility.

Last edited:
Upvote 0