• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Anti-Aliasing

Gebastram

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 18, 2010
I hope this is the right place to ask this.

If I am correct, RO:HoS will be using Unreal Engine 3, right?
and if so, will there be any anti-aliasing support?
cause lack of anti-aliasing is one of those things that really bug me about the Unreal Engine 3. I think it is somewhat important to have anti-aliasing because it makes a game more immersive and makes it look a lot more like you're actually there.

The last game i tried that didnt have it working was AA3(no surprise) and the Batman demo was the first one that did it right for UE3.

The batman demo did work perfectly on all hardware, but the full game had the AA options removed for ATI hardware while it worked perfectly fine in the demo. Typically of a NVIDIA "The way its meant to be played" title.

Upvote 0
Wow did not know that. What bs. Hey at least they gave the world physx LOL.

They didn't give the world physx, they bought physx (when it was on the edge of bankrupcy). That was a good thing although they made it so that hardware physx acceleration can only be done on nvidia systems.

In the beginning Ageia made dedicated hardware physx cards that worked on both ATI and NVIDIA systems but they were phased out. Later on people were using PHYSX by plugging a cheap NVIDIA card into their computer purely to calculate the physx stuff.

Then NVIDIA put out an update that disabled the ability to have driver based hardware acceleration on a system where the primary renderer isn't NVIDIA. Forcing people like me to use a hacked NVIDIA driver that only removes the check whether the main graphics card is an NVIDIA one. Of course it works 100% correctly.

-------

Beside that you have 3d vision, another proprietary NVIDIA standard for 3d gaming that will only work on nvidia hardware with nvidia glasses. Luckily there are alternative methods like iz3d and ddd that support all videocards, 3d screens and glasses available on the market.

-------

Nvidia is trying where it can to obtain a monopoly position in the 3d hardware realm in order to not have to compete based on strength with ATI. NVIDIA does what it can to try and make sure that game devs do not use open standards but rather use their proprietary standard using NVIDIA only function sets.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
if you have a monitor from 3 to 4 years ago, they should be capable of 1280 resolution...a sweet spot for resolution/performance/jaggy minimization.

but more recent models can go up to 1600 and can cost less than 150 dollars

aax4 on 1024 resolution looks the same as no aa on 1280 resolution

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Only if you have a high res monitor, though.

aa is obsolete now with graphics cards that easily allow you to ratchet up the resolution.

It's not sharper if the pixel size is the same on the low res and high res monitors.
Only way it would be sharper then would be that you'd sit further away from the bigger monitor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0