• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Another tanking whine

Shadowman

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2006
Rockville, MD
Sheesh, it was like I was playing with a bunch of snotty 10-year olds tonight or something. No, scratch that. 10-year olds probably would act more mature...

I have the {TT} tag on. Sometimes I'll tank solo, sometimes I'll look to tank with others, either way is fine for me. I don't try to push it on anyone, If I get in a tank and they get out, that's fine with me, especially since there's usually a lot more available.

But tonight, I'm playing on a full 32-man server on Arad. When I join the server I spawn and there are a few people waiting around for tanks to respawn -- in other words, it was pretty full. So I get in an IS2 with a guy when it's available, he drives off, and then, after getting into the village, he starts giving the "Get out!" command. Well, I'm not getting out now that I'd be stranded out there with a pistol, so I ignore it. So he moves his way down to the S. Feild, hides behind the hill and starts to creep up facing several tanks. Once a panzer is in vision, he stops, only I can't get the cannon aimed low enough to fire; our IS2 is facing uphill.

I try to tell him this in the mike, he keeps shouting "enemy in front!" Finally, he gets it, and starts to move, when we get blown up by a satchel.

When I spawn again, he's shooting at me to keep me away -- not that I needed a hint or anything, like I said, I'm not gonna force it on anyone. I just ignore him, and wait for another tank. When a T34 spawns, there are about 3 of us waiting, who get in. Well this time, the driver (someone else) won't move. No communication from him, he ignores mine, he's just gonna sit there and wait until everyone gets out so he can have the tank all to himself -- the rest of his teamates can sit there and wait.

This is the kind of stuff that irritates me. Like I said, I can understand that some people prefer to tank alone, myself included sometimes. But when there aren't enough to go around, doing that kind of stuff really misses the point of a team game, no?

Indeed, i coulden't care less if people want to solo, thats their choice, but when there aren't enough tanks to go around, then it ruins the game for others, i've often seen 3-5 players standing around in spawn abandoned by their team-mates, thats just crappy.

Seriously, if there aren't enough tanks to go around, and you dont want to share, choose infantry instead, hell, thats what i do when i find myself on a team where nobody wants to TT and theres not enough tanks (but if someone wants to team up i'll try my best at tanking with him).

Upvote 0
Tak said:
Just wait until transitions have animations (or at least a delay) as well as a proper enter/exit time and animation. That should get rid of the wankers right quick :p

Yep my thoughts actually while we're on this topic of gobs**** tankers avoid a guy named bombelator if you see he spent a full 20 minutes on a server yesterday pushing friendly tanks and then trying to push friendly tankers in the spawn into the mineflied off the map eventually i just left that server.

Upvote 0
I have said this before:

I don't mind solo tankers if there are enough tanks to go around, but when the maps are full or near full, a locked tank option would really ruin it for the rest of the players. That is why I am totally against it unless it is an optional MOD.

It is also unfortunate that an admin apparantly wasn't around to help take care of the situation

Upvote 0
I totally agree with the original poster. I use the TT tag myself but I don't mind going solo as well once in a while.

I have to point out another thing I have experienced which pisses me off.. I have seen plenty of "elite" clanners who won't tank with someone else than their own clanmates. Example: A clan-player gets in a tank as driver, I take the commander position.. then he refuses to move anywhere, he just sits there in spawn. Finally I get tired of this **** and leave the tank.. his clanmate is quick to jump in the tank and they drive off. :mad:

Upvote 0
Well here we go again.

I will simply say this:

The reason that some of us prefer our Teamwork in solo tanks is because these very same "snotty 10-year olds" (as Shadowman put it) get into our tanks and and gets us killed. Or when in Single Mode they refuse to work as a Team in single tank mode when go it alone.

In other words, this argument works both ways. The REAL problem is not how the game is designed but rather how the "snotty 10-year olds" are designed.

As I said before. The ONLY real solution to the problem is for the developers to make bigger tank maps with more tanks.

Anything less than that will simply alienate good players away from this game and leave the servers full of...well "snotty 10-year olds".

And those of you who have played on Tank maps with me know I hate those guys just as much as everyone.

Upvote 0
GonzoX said:
Well here we go again.

I will simply say this:

The reason that some of us prefer our Teamwork in solo tanks is because these very same "snotty 10-year olds" (as Shadowman put it) get into our tanks and and gets us killed. Or when in Single Mode they refuse to work as a Team in single tank mode when go it alone.

In other words, this argument works both ways. The REAL problem is not how the game is designed but rather how the "snotty 10-year olds" are designed.

As I said before. The ONLY real solution to the problem is for the developers to make bigger tank maps with more tanks.

Anything less than that will simply alienate good players away from this game and leave the servers full of...well "snotty 10-year olds".

And those of you who have played on Tank maps with me know I hate those guys just as much as everyone.

It's not your tank... Unless you run your own server.

Upvote 0
Rrralphster said:
It's not your tank... Unless you run your own server.

Um, NO sweetcheeks. :rolleyes:

That's not the way the game was designed. The game was designed so you have the option of having 1 person per tank. Try this yourself, it works. *gasp*.

If the developers wanted to force a crew they would have designed it that way. But they didn't :eek: *Startling Realization*!

In case you haven't noticed, most people take thier own tank online. That is just a fact. Go to the two "Tank Maps Only" servers and you will see that 90% of the people that play tanks, make it 1 per tank and for the most part it works.

If you don't like our tank servers then you can (as you say) make your own server. End of story.

Upvote 0
Well GonzoX, its one thing to not want to team up with a retard, i dont want to do that either, if somebody gets in my tank and wont use teamwork with me, i dont want to drive with him again.

But thats not whats happening on the servers, thease guys wont give you the time of day, they dont care if you are a good teamplayer and you get the kills and objectives and communicate, they wont budge if anyone gets in "their" tank :rolleyes:

If it where only that they dont want to dive with snotty 10 year olds that get them killed that'd be perfectly understandable, but mostly thats not the case, they just dont want to drive with anyone, and their team-mates stuck in spawn be damned.

Upvote 0
Well for the record, I am not one of those people.

I resent the fact that us single tank drivers are continuously painted as uncooperative jerks. Nothing could be further than the truth. Most of us do quite well coordinating with each other over voice coms to win the game.

Some of you guys take the small minority of idiot tankers and paint them as if they are the rule and not the exception and I resent that.

Most single tankers are very much like me and work as follows:

1)If enough tanks are available we each take one tank each to maximize our numbers and utilize available resources to win (i.e. Tanks).

2)If there are enought tanks available but I get somebody who jumps into my tank as gunner or MGer I will jump out and head towards a spare tank for the same reason noted in #1 above. And that is with Zero verbal exchange.

3)If there are NOT enough tanks available then I will go with whoever joins my tank and pray that they know what the hell they are doing.

4)If the person or persons jumping in my tank get me killed or are 10 year olds etc then I will either change to infantry class to support the tanks or as a last resort... *no dissrespect to good 10ye old players intended*

5)As a last resort I will find anther server. This depends entirly on the situation at hand and based on how many doofus players are on my team.

Another option is to switch sides. If (for example) I find two or more TKers screwing up the game I will either switch sides or find another server.

Contrary to what Rrralphster and a few others may think of me, I have yet to yell "get out of my tank" to anyone because it simply is not necessary in my mind.

Upvote 0
Thats fine Gonz, and i have no problems with players doing just that, no problem at all.

Its the other douchebags i have a problem with, who will TK to get a tank to themselves, who wont share even if there are not enough tanks, etc etc, thease guys ruin it for the rest of their team, thouse guys i have a problem with! and there are many of them out there.

I also see it in another way, we are 4 guys standing around in spawn, a tank spawns next to me and i get in, and i wait.. and i wait.. but they wont join, they would rather stand around doing nothing than team up, again not very helpfull to their team, thats just daft.

Upvote 0
Many times I have been shot for getting near someones "tank" and I have waited an entire round in someones tank because they wanted me out. Set him straight, after that round he got mad and just let people in. He finally figured that it isn't worth it to wait an entire map just because you might have a retard in "your tank". That could have been my favorite round of RO ever.

The chat:

Driver: Get out

Me: No

The Allies have won the battle!

-Checkmate.

Upvote 0
Tanks problems, schmank problems! I you can find someone to play nice with great, especially on a LAN , great! Otherwise, I just steer clear of armor. Tank = big fat target! Rifleman = little, hard to see lying in the grass who can move to places and hide in places a tank cannot target! Both can take a cap an area just as well. A rifleman on a tank server may not get as many points and certainly is not as tough as armor, but I find it rewarding when I can sneak across a map undetected and start capping the rear flags and if I'm lucky, one or two like minded players come along for the fun. It tends to surprise enemy tankers when snipers and rifleman start dropping them as they move about the back field, or if the enemy is trying what you are and you can spot them and prevent them from doing the same!

Upvote 0
GonzoX said:

Most single tankers are very much like me

There is definitely no way to prove this. Do you have some kind of stat sheet or crystal ball? I play alot of ROOST and most single tankers are far from how you claim to be. In fact I usually find that they are either happy to work as a crew or act exactly as described by the original poster. IMO, for the most part those who insist on solo tanking ruin the armor/ca maps. I would love to see a much longer time limit on switching positions in tanks. Even better would be for this to be an option that could be set by server admins.

Upvote 0