• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Another "Can't see my server and friends can't join" post

Hey,

After some help, I have created a server and can join by opening console and typing open 127.0.0.1.

I can also see servers if I click on the "browse" button.

All correct ports are open.

Friends can't join by either trying my public IP in console or via an invite...

Thanks

Cheers, Yeah they are open and forwarding to my PC.

I can see that the server is listed under "Browse" But when clicking join nothing happens, I was reading that some one that was running this on steam limited the amount of connections, and then it worked.

(I'm running the server on my PC and using Epic interface.)

Thanks

Attachments

• 13-10-2020 11-23-08.jpg
    13-10-2020 11-23-08.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 7c8e3e99-6dd3-4e7f-92df-be123c34a019.jpg
    7c8e3e99-6dd3-4e7f-92df-be123c34a019.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 21
Upvote 0
It's your local server so you join from LAN (some router will have no issue with you joining from external IP, some will). Others join from the Browser. Is it running currently? I don't see it. Start it I'll try to join it, don't change its name though so i can find it.

PS: troubleshooting your PFSense installation though, is out of the scope of this thread to me. So if issue is in your whole PFSense setup, I'm out.
PS2: I always recommend manually setting OTHER ports than the default because the server notoriously fails if it runs on the same machine as Steam and the game client, because of ports conflicts with Steam (may or may not have been solved, I don't run a local server).
PS3: you wrote "I was reading that some one that was running this on steam limited the amount of connections", what does that even mean?

Last edited:
Reactions: Datastream101
Upvote 0
Thanks, for some reason I'm not getting email notifications, OK, I've started the server and I'll leave it running all day.

It's there but nothing happens when you or anyone else clicks join.

I'm OK with my Pfsense, with ports etc. I can even add the PC to the DMZ zone if I like, still the same.

When you say "other ports" ?

(Yeah I'd been reading some where that in one of the config files it has a 10000 connection setting and some one had reduced this and the server worked, not sure where I'd read that now)

Thanks

Attachments

• 14-10-2020 09-58-16.jpg
    14-10-2020 09-58-16.jpg
    589.8 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0
It doesn't show in server browser (in game or steam). That increase the suspicion of wrong network configuration on your side.

When I say not using the default ports, I mean setting the ports in the startup command directly, with other ports, example:

Code:
start .\Binaries\win64\kfserver KF-TheDescent?Difficulty=3?GameLength=1?MaxPlayers=12 -Port=3333 -QueryPort=22571

Upvote 0
It doesn't appear from the internet, it appears to you because it is on your own machine and network.

Steam server browser list for Killing Floor 2, does not contain any server named "Mowax something".

It lists properly 3000+ servers, but not yours so I don't know, maybe share the IP and I will confirm by querying directly your IP on the query port, if your server appears on the list it is publicly available anyway so.. not a big secret. Send by PM if you're scared and trust me, or post directly here.

EDIT: did you modify the default server? did you install anything on it or is it a fresh vanilla server?

Upvote 0
My friend can see the server when he browses, he just can't join it......maybe I killed it as had it running all day...I'll run it again tomorrow and send you a message.

I think were getting there, had a double check of my ports and now well look...

So should I be able to join the server by clicking on "join" or since it's hosted on my machine do I have to run it it via the command prompt. ?

EDIT!: GOT IT WORKING. WAS PORT SETTINGS ON PFSENSE! :D

Had a really good game but it lagged out a the end !

Thanks for the help.

One last question, any ideas, how I become Admin in the control setting?

15-10-2020 21-07-56.jpg

15-10-2020 19-41-44.jpg

15-10-2020 20-11-33.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is useless to be admin on your server as there is nothing working properly besides some useless commands, use the webadmin instead it is the proper way until one day that will never come TWI gives admins proper rights on the server to have kick or map vote overriding. It avoids you from being kicked I think.. and you can type long annoying commands to do some actions like map changes.. yeah use the web admin.

PS: you don't need to port forward your web admin port if you access it locally, unless you want to give internet the possibility to connect to your web admin.

open console with F3, ~, or whatever the key is for you
type: adminlogin password (password from your config file adminpassword=xxx)

Upvote 0
Awesome, thanks so much for all your help, and thanks for the tip on closing the web admin page. I've disabled that rule, well spotted.

I've noticed that I also can get access to the web admin by using 127.17.2.113:8081 what is this as it's the same as my 192.168.0.3:8081 ?

Thanks again.

and one last question, How do I pause the game, it's all enabled etc. is it a case of just pressing pause?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've noticed that I also can get access to the web admin by using 127.17.2.113:8081 what is this as it's the same as my 192.168.0.3:8081 ?
It is because your router does NAT loopback because it knows you access 'yourself' with the external IP.

and one last question, How do I pause the game, it's all enabled etc. is it a case of just pressing pause?
login as admin, press pause button on keyboard.

Upvote 0
My friend can see the server when he browses, he just can't join it......maybe I killed it as had it running all day...I'll run it again tomorrow and send you a message.

I think were getting there, had a double check of my ports and now well look...

So should I be able to join the server by clicking on "join" or since it's hosted on my machine do I have to run it it via the command prompt. ?

EDIT!: GOT IT WORKING. WAS PORT SETTINGS ON PFSENSE! :D

Had a really good game but it lagged out a the end !

Thanks for the help.

One last question, any ideas, how I become Admin in the control setting?

View attachment 2335640

View attachment 2335638

View attachment 2335639
Im having the same issue and was wondering what you changed in you pfSense? I did notice your destination IP should be you WAN yet you put your local IP. If that was what solved it then no worries

Upvote 0