• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Annoying "grabbed whine" keeps playing forever unless game is restarted completely.

HeatSurge

Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2009
Annoying "grabbed whine" keeps playing forever unless game is restarted completely.

Finally captured this annoying and infrequent issue on video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEE23diwDB8

Watch 2:09:00 and onwards. The exact effect happens at 2:09:57 .

Reproducible: Not sure, but definitely not the first time this has happened. I'm pretty sure it always happens in this particular situation.

Description: Sometimes during a boss wave, after the battle is won, as the statistics screens are being displayed, there are clots/crawlers which are either not "killed" or are somehow allowed to spawn after the boss has been defeated. In this particular instance, some clots sound like they were banging on a (welded?) door, and finally break through.

As clots grab you, the "shiiiiiiiing" clot grab sound plays as usual. However, upon map change, the sound is not killed. In fact, it's not killed at all, ever. Additional clot grabs don't turn it off, escape menu doesn't turn it off, NOTHING turns it off until the entire game is restarted (exit the entire game, relaunch).

If this is not fixed, let me know if you know of a console command that "reinitializes the sound engine" or "hard-kills all sounds" or something, so if this happens I don't have to quit and risk someone joining in my space if I want to rejoin the same server -_- .

I'm pretty sure this is only a problem with the clot "shiiiiing." I've had cralwers, stalkers, etc. spawn and their sounds don't keep playing as far as I remember. It's probably due to the reason that the clot sound is endless-looped (I'm guessing until some kind of "trigger off" event happens) and since that trigger off event never happens, and can never happen, the endless loop is endless.

Please fix. It's an edge case that only happens if clots spawn post-boss-defeat (or are not killed when boss dies?), but when it happens it's quite annoying.

Reactions: Arcames and ®omano
HeatSurge;n2332552 said:
It's probably due to the reason that the clot sound is endless-looped (I'm guessing until some kind of "trigger off" event happens) and since that trigger off event never happens, and can never happen, the endless loop is endless.

This is likely the problem. In KFGame.KFSM_GrappleVictim, the grapple sound is started in SpecialMoveStarted() and only gets stopped in SpecialMoveEnded(). There should be a limit to how long this sound plays, as you'd have to be rather oblivious to not notice that you're being grabbed within the first second or two.

Upvote 0
I've done some testing for this.
Getting grabbed by another clot in a different game then killing the clot does not end the sound.
Getting grabbed by another clot in a different game then quitting does not end the sound.
However, turning the SFX to 0 and then back up does end the sound.

Probable causes:
The script to kill all mobs when the boss dies runs only once and there is a chance that a mob spawns very shortly after that script is complete.
The script that plays the sound doesn't have a cue to end if the mob doesn't die.

Solution 1:
Ensure that the spawners get disabled once the boss is dead and run the script to have all mobs die again.

Solution 2:
Force stop all ongoing sounds when a player leaves the match, including quitting or changing maps.

Upvote 0
QA is investigating this issue, and the team hopes to have it addressed in a near future update.
The ringing is present in fall beta 1.

How to replicate the bug:
1) Win a round. Victory scoreboard will show up
2) Zeds continue to spawn (e.g clots) and starts to grab players
4) High pitched ringing will be heard by any grabbed player/s

Players are unable to move as the victory scoreboard shows up. This is intended but will also turn players into immortal grab-targets.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The ringing is present in fall beta 1.

This was the course of actions in my case:
1) Won a round. Victory scoreboard showed up as usual
2) Zeds appeared (e.g clots) and started grabbing players
4) High pitched ringing could be heard by grabbed players/player
5) The ringing would only stop if I restarted KF2.

Players are unable to move as the victory scoreboard shows up. This is intended but will also turn players into immortal grab-targets.
You can mute and unmute the game (from the options inside it), and the sound will be done

Upvote 0