• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Annoyed that you can't kill a tank from 400 metres 'in game'?

JudgeMental

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2006
UK
www.icm-clan.com
Taken from http://www.army-technology.com/contractors/ammunition/apfsds.htm

LONG RANGE TANK GUNNERY
"During the Gulf War the open desert terrain and extensive use of thermal imaging weapon sights ensured that maximum engagement ranges were possible. Tank gunnery demonstrably reached a new zenith. Modern integrated fire control computers are highly sophisticated and able to link the electro-optical systems/sensors to a gyroscopic stabilised main gun. Laser range finders deliver pin point range calculations whilst other ballistic properties such as windage, barrel wear, air and barrel temperature are also calculated. The fire control systems therefore achieve 'first round' hit probability on a regular basis
Hyper-velocity APFSDS rounds have significantly increased the lethal range of tank armament, and combined with improvements in tank gunnery this has meant that combat engagement ranges have been dramatically increased. During Operation Granby (Desert Storm to the Americans) a British Army Challenger tank achieved the longest range confirmed tank-to-tank kill at 5100 meters or 5.1km with an rifled 120mm APFSDS 'Charm' depleted uranium round"

Jeez, thats 3 miles in old money!!

Another amazing shot:

The longest-ever confirmed sniper kill was made by Master Cpl. Arron Perry of the Canadian Armed Forces in Afghanistan during combat in 2003. Using a .50-caliber MacMillan TAC-50 rifle, Perry shot and killed a Taliban gunman from a distance of 2,430 metres.

The record was set during Operation Anaconda when a Canadian three-man sniper team from the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, (PPCLI), set the new record with a shot on a Taliban fighter

Btw, remember bullet drop? This bullet was in the air for four seconds and dropped over 100 feet.

I think the point is, these are amazing shots, not to be easily replicated by the average soldier.

Upvote 0
Another amazing shot:

The longest-ever confirmed sniper kill was made by Master Cpl. Arron Perry of the Canadian Armed Forces in Afghanistan during combat in 2003. Using a .50-caliber MacMillan TAC-50 rifle, Perry shot and killed a Taliban gunman from a distance of 2,430 metres.

The record was set during Operation Anaconda when a Canadian three-man sniper team from the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, (PPCLI), set the new record with a shot on a Taliban fighter

Btw, remember bullet drop? This bullet was in the air for four seconds and dropped over 100 feet.

I think the point is, these are amazing shots, not to be easily replicated by the average soldier.

Bullet drop is the easiest part of it (dial the scope and make sure the rifle and scope are held perfectly level - which isn't that easy). The hard part is aiming where the target will be 4 seconds from now!!

Upvote 0
The hard part is figuring out range and doping for wind. Windage is what gets most people; drop is easy.

Lol, I was forgetting wind on purpose. 4 seconds of flight, the variations possible in wind speed.... Stand outside and feel the breeze, then count out four seconds while you pay attention to the breeze. Odds are it's going to change. Not to mention the wind/breeze here might be different than the one a mile away.

Windage adjustment is probably as much an art as a science at that kind of range.

Upvote 0
I seem to recall a longer-ranged tank kill, but I can't find the references. If memory serves it was something like an old Sherman, 1967 or 1973, being used as an artillery piece with a forward spotter, e.g., the Israeli tank couldn't see the targets.

What's kind of neat about the Canadian sniper ... is that an associate of his broke Gunny Hathcock's record a week or two earlier. Impressive stuff.

Upvote 0
I seem to recall a longer-ranged tank kill, but I can't find the references. If memory serves it was something like an old Sherman, 1967 or 1973, being used as an artillery piece with a forward spotter, e.g., the Israeli tank couldn't see the targets.

Ah, but you're then into the realms of artillery, or drop shorts as they're known in the British Army. Indirect fire is just the preserve of namby pambys who don't want to get involved in a direct manly honourable tank fight...oops, I feel a flame coming on. Seriously though, a tank can fire indirectly but it is not ideally suited for it. By the by, Israel also reversed that situation in that they used their M107 artillery pieces and had them fire direct. A scary thought when they had a calibre of 175mm and a range of 20 odd miles when firing indirect. Even a concrete training round weighs enough and would be moving fast enough to do greivous damage to a tank when fired directly.

Upvote 0
Ah, but you're then into the realms of artillery, or drop shorts as they're known in the British Army. Indirect fire is just the preserve of namby pambys who don't want to get involved in a direct manly honourable tank fight...oops, I feel a flame coming on. Seriously though, a tank can fire indirectly but it is not ideally suited for it. By the by, Israel also reversed that situation in that they used their M107 artillery pieces and had them fire direct. A scary thought when they had a calibre of 175mm and a range of 20 odd miles when firing indirect. Even a concrete training round weighs enough and would be moving fast enough to do greivous damage to a tank when fired directly.
lol very true especially about the lack of honor in indirect firing:D

Upvote 0