• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

An Ill-Fated Petition: Make the Christmas Zeds Permanently Endemic to Santa's Level

DysprosiumJudas

Jan 7, 2010
Yeah, I realize petitions never work, but I feel like it's a great way to give a company feedback on how players feel about a certain decision, so in that spirit, here's a petition that you can sign.

Firstly, this petition states that the new Twisted Christmas DLC is fantastic. In particular, we think that the Christmas Zeds are 1) well-done models that are both amusing and pretty, 2) unique and seperate from the default models and a great source of visual diversity, and 3) quality content that should remain in game.

Secondly, we believe it is silly to make such quality content and then remove it after an arbitrary end-date. While we realize that the festivity of the models in question are centered around a specific holiday, we feel that this isn't much of an issue. There is no better compliment to the new Santa level than Santa-modelled specimens, and if the new level is staying (which it should), then why not the new specimens?

Thirdly, however, we understand that the Christmas Zeds would both break the feel of the other maps and reduce the atmosphere of the game if they were kept there. As such, we propose that they be eliminated from all maps except the Santa map, as we feel that that is the only place that they fit in.

Essentially, we think that it would be a great addition to the game if they Christmas Zeds were permanent on Santa's level, and Santa's level ONLY. They should never show up on any of the other maps. Their presence, then, on Santa's map would provide diversity and quality in a place where they would fit, as well as encourage players to continue playing on the Santa map when the event ends and the holiday season passes. Just because it's the middle of July doesn't mean it isn't fun to load up a winter-themed level and shoot down some winter-themed parody zeds.

Depending on how they implemented changing the skins, it would likely be difficult to have the Christmas specs tethered to the map. A mutator that does bulk skin replacement on specimens would work better and would also be more modular.

The skins are TWIs to do with as they wish, but I would be sad to see all the work they put into the skins disappear on Jan. 4th.

Upvote 0
I think they replaced the entire set of normal specimens to get this done. Which means it might be impossible to just activate them for only 1 map. Correct me if im wrong offcourse.

We can rename them all in the modding community and activate them through a mutator only on the Christmas map. But Yoshiro allready stated that this will never be whitelisted...and thats pretty much why I create mutators/specimens with other modders....to get them whitelisted.

Upvote 0
It is possible to embed the mutator into one map alone but Hemi is right, it will never get WL, hence why I asked Yoshiro first, if it would be an issue.

I am going to refrain from making a mutator for this event and I hope everyone else does the same, just out of respect for TWI and the effort they put in to give us these nice things.

As Yoshiro said 'If everyone is special, then no-one is special', so it would be nice if this is left as a special event for the Xmas period.

Reactions: Olivier
Upvote 0
I want the Christmas zeds. I am willing to PAY for it. I purchased the London's finest DLC. Thought the designs were lazy (the chavo and random soccer nut). The Christmas Zeds are awesome in detail! A lot of effort and love went in to them and it shows.

As much as I enjoy the game (270 hrs since October 2010, I recently decided to go retail) it will not last for ever. Tripwire will move on, fans will move on. To any who discover this gem of a game, I wish for them to have the full experience. Those paying fans should get the same experience as certain Nautically Naughty fans. Modders might do it. The NN fans will have the zeds long after Jan 4.

I will continue to show my support (with dosh!)for Killing Floor. I just hope that Tripwire will support it's honest fan base with this small request. Now I leave to spread holiday cheer with my Flamethrower!

Upvote 0
I think they replaced the entire set of normal specimens to get this done. Which means it might be impossible to just activate them for only 1 map. Correct me if im wrong of course.
It appears to be that way. On the other had, the gift boxes on the Christmas map are a new object that acts the same as a ammo box but has a different design and will likely stay in the map even after the event.

Upvote 0
I agree with this. In fact, if we have to play santa's evil lair with the regular specimens, I say remove the map with the Christmas zeds.

signed and agreed.

I think they replaced the entire set of normal specimens to get this done. Which means it might be impossible to just activate them for only 1 map. Correct me if im wrong offcourse.

yup i also believe that is the real issue with this.....i just wish they would come out and explain that they "can't" make this happen instead of giving us this fail argument of "leaving the christmas zeds in after the event would make the event less special". :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
signed and agreed.

yup i also believe that is the real issue with this.....i just wish they would come out and explain that they "can't" make this happen instead of giving us this fail argument of "leaving the christmas zeds in after the event would make the event less special". :rolleyes:

This isn't the issue at all. The new zeds are in a completely separate package to the original zeds and would have no problem releasing them with the map.

Can you not appreciate that this is a 'special' event hosted by TWI? and is completely community driven? they have asked no money for it at all, it is a gift from them to us, so we really should appreciate that by allowing them to keep this for the festive seasons, as if it was available all year, players would get bored and have nothing to look forward to at the end of the year!

How many other game companies have done this for the community? I cannot think of one but please correct me if I am wrong.

Reactions: dogbadger
Upvote 0
I don't want a mutator because I do not want to play with Christmas zeds on normal levels, and I can see a bunch of servers doing that just to be silly. I only want them to appear on the winter level.

As for the "specialness" of the event, that's such an arbitrary reason to remove content. "But you'll like it more when we let you play with it!" Yeah, because it's good content, let us play with it. That's just building a stupid false rarity system at the expense of player enjoyment.

The fact of the matter is that the Christmas zeds are great, there's no reason that TWI should just meaninglessly scrap them after an arbitrary end date. It would add a lot to the game if a level had its own unique set of specimens, both visually and in terms of the game's tone. What does it add if you take the new models away? Nothing, because you took the content away.

Upvote 0
but if they stay after christmas they won't be special.
They could always come back next year, phaps with some new voices.

Man if we took away Gorefasts they would be so special when we added them in. Or, or like what if we only let you play the Firebug in July? Man people would FREAK about playing the Firebug! It would be so special!

I refer you, good sir, to my previous post. Creating a false rarity system at the expense of new content is just dumb. I really hope TWI doesn't throw all this good content away just because people actually want to use it, making it "special." I mean, what is this, TF2?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Man if we took away Gorefasts they would be so special when we added them in. Or, or like what if we only let you play the Firebug in July? Man people would FREAK about playing the Firebug! It would be so special!

I refer you, good sir, to my previous post. Creating a false rarity system at the expense of new content is just dumb. I really hope TWI doesn't throw all this good content away just because people actually want to use it, making it "special." I mean, what is this, TF2?

but the mechanics of these new zeds are identical (baring hitboxes phaps) to the exisiting ones. It's nothing like removing a gorefast or whatever.
They are a cosmetic change for the holiday season.
and the holiday season ends on 12th night.

Upvote 0