• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Ammo Pickups Not Spawning

Shaowstrike

Oct 28, 2012
Hello, this is my first time creating any type of map and I'm having an issue with the ammo pickups not appearing at all after I hit "Build All" and do a test run of my map. I've searched Google and the forums and all I can find is generic information on placing ammo actors.

I've tried both KFAmmopickup and KFRandomammopickup and neither will appear; however I've had no issues with the Cashdrop actor.

Anyone have any ideas on what I'm doing wrong, or can point me to a thread with the answer? Thank you.

Ammospawns and weaponspawns do have a percentual spawn chance which decreases the higher your difficulty is set. If they don't appear ingame even at beginner difficulty, try setting them up slightly above ground.

Thanks that helped a lot. I didn't realize that that test play was set to HoE from my last actually game. :(

Is there anyway to override the percentage spawn for ammo so it's permanently available?

Upvote 0
I run a server for my friends and I. We only play suicidal so I ran into this same problem and found the cause. So here is the long explaination. The way weapon and ammo spawns work in KF (when playing the normal gametype) is the game counts the number of spawns and multiplies that number by the difficulty's set percentage. The percentages for each difficulty are different for ammo and weapons. For ammo it's 0.65, 0.5, 0.35, and 0.1 from beginner to suicidal. Suicidal and HoE share their values. The item/weapon spawn values are 0.5, 0.3, 0.2, and 0.1 from beginner to suicidal/hoe. The problem this causes (atleast for me) is that 10 weapon/item spawn locations are required for even a single one to spawn on suicidal+. The same applies to ammo spawns. I genuinly like the ability for the last man standing to have the chance of keeping the game going. From what I've found, more often then not you'll run out of ammo when you're the last one (we play with faked players). So assuming you place 10 spawns, that means on beginner that 5 active weapon/item spawn locations and 6 ammo spawn locations can all be active at once(if you placed 10 of each). This system makes the easier difficulties very easy and the harder difficulties spawn free (on many many maps). The solution I found was to make a custom game type for my server and change the default values of spawns. Then I started editing specific maps that we play a lot to all have a universal number of ammo spawn locations. Sadly this is why this has been happening to you.

Upvote 0