• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

American Civil War Sesquicentennial

I remember reading in the paper a while ago that if a certain battle wasn't won by a certain side, then ultimately there would've been 2 Americas.

It was an interesting read. :IS2:

That's pretty much true of most wars, though ... if not for a certain battle in 1815, most of Europe would probably speak French now. If not for a certain battle or two in 1938-1945, most of Europe (and some of Asia too) would speak German now.

Reactions: Dietrich Graf
Upvote 0
I have a letter somewhere in my files that was sent to me by the absentee owners of one of the plantations I farm. They live in north (I forget where) and the letter in question was sent to their relatives from the then owner of Elder Shade Plantation (John Fox Goodrich) in response to a query they'd sent him shortly after the war. They were asking how he fared during and was faring after the war. His response was striking.

I'll have to dig it up. Bear with me, its cotton planting time and that takes precedence..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's pretty much true of most wars, though ... if not for a certain battle in 1815, most of Europe would probably speak French now. If not for a certain battle or two in 1938-1945, most of Europe (and some of Asia too) would speak German now.

Within that article that i read, it stated that a certain battle not gone... union? way would have ultimately resulted in a united and confederate america; with the united later supporting Germany and the confederate supporting Britain in the World Wars. The USA would have won both.

Upvote 0
Within that article that i read, it stated that a certain battle not gone... union? way would have ultimately resulted in a united and confederate america; with the united later supporting Germany and the confederate supporting Britain in the World Wars. The USA would have won both.

Sounds like some of Harry Turtledove's novels...

Upvote 0
Reactions: fiftyone
Upvote 0
Here is the letter I spoke about.
The letter is in response to a query from his relatives in New York (I believe). The Goodrich family was quite prominent and respected. While there is a good deal of family history within the letter, on pages 1,3,4 and 5 you'll get some insight into what his life was like during and after the war. He'll also volunteer some of his political views. Doesn't sound like politicians have changed much since then...

A copy of a portion of the original:
Spoiler!

Here are the pages as transcribed by the owner of the original (original misspellings included). Enjoy.

Page 1
Spoiler!

Page 2
Spoiler!

Page 3
Spoiler!

Page 4
Spoiler!

Page 5
Spoiler!

Link to pdf for those that would rather read it that way:
http://www.ro50pc.net/images/public/goodrichletter_0001.pdf

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The first casualties of the Civil War occurred in Baltimore, Maryland during the Pratt Street Riots in the heavily pro-Confederate city on April 19, 1861:

Mobs attacked the trains carrying men of the 6th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry and Pennsylvania's Washington Brigade, hurrying toward essentially undefended Washington. The enraged Crabtowners started with stones and bottles and finally got out their guns. Most of the troops fought their way through, but quite a few got back on their trains and fled to Philadelphia and many others dispersed through the city and hid with Unionist residents.

When the smoke cleared three hours later, 10 soldiers and 11 civilians lay dead, and Maryland was on the brink of joining the Confederacy. President Lincoln sent Gen. Benjamin F. Butler (later to become known as "Beast Butler" for his administration of occupied New Orleans) to occupy the city and suppress Southern sympathizers. Butler clapped scores of citizens in jail, including the mayor, top cop, police commissioners, politicians, assorted newspaper editors and Francis Scott Key's grandson (who with intentional irony was imprisoned at Fort McHenry, in the shadow of the flagpole that had flown the Star-Spangled Banner)

YouTube - Civil War Pratt Street Riots Remembered[/COLOR][/URL]

http://www.washingtonpost.com/gog/museums/baltimore-civil-war-museum,799963.html

(The Baltimore Civil War Museum was unfortunately closed down several years ago due to funding issues.)

I remember reading in the paper a while ago that if a certain battle wasn't
won by a certain side, then ultimately there would've been 2 Americas.

That battle was Gettysburg; Gettysburg was the largest battle ever fought in the Western Hemisphere.

If you have not seen the movie 'Gettysburg' (starring Martin Sheen [West Wing] and Jeff Daniels ['Dumb and Dumber']), it is a very good movie.

It is based on a work of historical fiction, and IMO most adaptations of works of historical fiction for TV and movies tend to turn out poorly, but some Civil War experts worked on 'Gettysburg' and the film turned out rather well.

More music:

YouTube - Ol' Dan Tucker From the Second South Carolina String Band.[/COLOR][/URL]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The first casualties of the Civil War occurred in Baltimore, Maryland during the Pratt Street Riots in the heavily pro-Confederate city on April 19, 1861

I know the first casualties in anger were here in Maryland, but wasn't there a Union soldier at Fort Sumter that was killed by an exploding cannon after they surrendered?

Upvote 0
I know the first casualties in anger were here in Maryland, but wasn't there a Union soldier at Fort Sumter that was killed by an exploding cannon after they surrendered?

You are right; Fort Sumter had been surrendered and the Union forces were allowed by the Confederates to fire a final farewell cannon salute and during that cannon salute, a Union soldiers was accidently killed and another was mortally wounded; a Confederate soldier also died by accident during the bombardment of Fort Sumter.

Baltimore is where the first casualities as a result of direct violence occurred during the Civil War.

Upvote 0
Sure thing! That's definitely not a problem.

I look really farby in these pictures, so be warned! It's been a long time since I lived with my dad and I outgrew nearly everything I used to wear. This year I'm going to have appropriate gear, thank God. Oh yeah, I'm the blonde one.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Just from the images, I'm sure you can guess how hot it was. I believe it was into the 100's. We constantly made jokes about how hot and uncomfortable all the guests must have been with their shorts and cotton T-shirts and squirt-bottle fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: fiftyone
Upvote 0