• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Am I mad? Run an LCD from a PSU's internal power lines?

Lonyo

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
lonyo.co.uk
PSU's have 12v lines.
LCD's sometimes have external power adapters, which often output 12v to the LCD. You can get 19v LCD's, 12v LCD's and probably others, but let's assume we have an LCD which requires 12v at 3~4A.

A 12v PSU line usually supplies 12v with up to ~20A (if it's a reasonable PSU), so in theory there is plenty of power.
Should it not be possible to hook up an LCD to one of the PSU's 12v power outputs to power it, this doing away with the need for 2 plugs (one for the PSU, one for the monitors power).
I'm thinking in terms of a custom PC where the case and monitor are modded. Seems like it should be possible in theory at least to power the LCD from the PSU.

Am I being mad? Is there some obvious flaw that I haven't thought of? Has anyone tried it before?

Last edited:
How many watts is your psu? It's gotta have enough to go around....that reminds me when I built my computer a few years ago. I had just finished the computer and I had like a 500 watt psu in. I was all excited and started the baby up and I hear a crack crack sizzle, and smoke starts coming out the PSU...I almost cried. Luckily nothing was damaged except the psu and I got a much more reliable 420 watt.

Upvote 0
Just as in the good ole days of AT:
Just hook the power cable of your (then) CRT onto your PSU, requiring only one line to the socket.

Plus, the case switch was still a real switch and would also turn on/off the display in sync with the PC

:)

As to your idea, I'd figure it should work, provided that both the voltage and the amp

Upvote 0