• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Code Alternative A.I behavior

Trololololololololololo

Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2010
Think about the current gameplay, KF uses the most basic artificial inteligence possible, since the enemies are very limited the gameplay goes along with it.

This also dictates the maps design, since they always know exactly where the player is and and goes straight to them using the shortest path.

*But the point is, could somebody change it, a little bit, just a little, the basic way they behave, for example, when they spawn they go wandering around the regular map paths on random directions, but they have a detection radius incase they end up "finding" the player, so they go after them, like the gorefast do when they start to run, even the slightest change could be enough to give a whole new gameplay experience, or even a new gametype.

(hide and seek anyone?)
ai.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Benjamin
You can actually edit how 'smart' the A.I. is, but only if you place the zombies down in KFEd and edit them there.

Brains=Retarded

(that was the line, not any kind of slogan or description)

Refering to KFMonster.uc?
Code:
var(AI) enum EIntelligence
{
    BRAINS_Retarded, // Dumbasses
    BRAINS_Stupid, // Just plain stupid.
    BRAINS_Mammal,
    BRAINS_Human // Smarties
} Intelligence;

I guess you could try making a mutator that just switches everyone to BRAINS_Human, but thats not really a change from the default "spawn, wander to players" behaviour now is it? Also keep in mind that enemys that can't be seen by any players move at a faster rate so enemys that spawn far away can catch up with close enemys. This might interfere with a wandering behaviour.

Upvote 0
Setting there brains just determines their combat style and ability to find you. Setting them to incredibly dumb means that they will do whatever they can to get to you, regardless of the obstacle. Setting them to human would make them act more human and make more careful and quicker choices and not to mention a lot smarter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
IMHO thats a remarkable step forward on KF gameplay, Benjamin doesnt fool around i guess, awesome job! Can you give further details on how they detect us? Sight, sound, etc... And please, release a mutator to allow this to all specimens for those who enjoy this type of behavior, like myself, unless you will be selfish by only keeping it to your new (yet nice) specimen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I understood basicly i think, the map has to be slightly modified to use use new parameters of Ai i guess? Or only shadow stealth idea?

You'd probably have to modify the maps for the shadows idea, since I'm not sure of any other way to indicate 'dark' areas of the map.

Two questions, how do they behave when they find a secured area (welded doors) even not knowing if theres any player inside? And do they still "teleport" or walk faster while far away from the player on the map?

Normal behaviour for both things. I'll probably change the latter however.

If you could refine that into a mutator for all specimens there Benjamin, that would make one killer Story/Mission map :)

I hope so! :)

Upvote 0
Never seen KF like that before!

AI's are easily one of the hardest things to modify and work on, no wonder very few coders even care to mod them, but the changes to the gameplay are mostly very worthy imho!

So far seems to be working just fine in its basics, id only suggests some tweaks that could go along with it, i mean if its possible to code...

The Fleshpound could hear your running footsteps maybe, i mean have more awareness or be a little more agressive in searching than the others, if weaker zeds could walk around in packs like 3 togheter would be awesome too (seems so on the beggining of the vid but i wonder if they would stay togheter for much longer), but i would be allready glad to play as is on the video, it would make a considerable difference, new gameplay experiences (would open way for a new type of maps too i guess?)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Please don't take this wrong but I have to say this. It does seem like they have gone "dumb" and it'll cause easy tactics to get away for example, on mansion you ran behind the thing and only one saw you...easy get-a-way.

The above would be great but i'd maybe add a special sort of ability for scrake/flesh pound/patriarch which when raged, tells the others around them where the survivors are or atleast make them try follow them. This would add more strategy to the game as it's like if you tell them where you are, they will try to ambush you.

Just my opinion but good work, keep it up!

Upvote 0