• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Allow the riot shield to be used with any SMG, not just the machine pistol

MrRogersBestNeighbor

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2015
So in previous threads mentioning the riot shield, I've posted this as an idea of how to make it work with a lot of positive feedback in response. This time I thought I'd actually make an individual thread with the idea, since Tripwire has announced the G18c (machine pistol) and riot shield with the next update.
I'm arguing, why limit the riot shield to only one weapon? I know it might sound overpowered to use a riot shield with a kriss or any other smg, but hear me out. There's two main points that I have that would make this work without it being overpowered.

How it would work:
1. Make it a 2nd upgrade system for all SMGs (so you can choose to upgrade damage and/or adding a riot shield).
-Alternate fire would be parry/block, replacing the switch between autofire and single/burst fire. All SMGs would be set on autofire.
2. Make it weigh 4-6 blocks, limiting weapon choices for a secondary weapon when choosing it with a top tier weapon.
For these examples, let's just say it weighs 5 blocks.
-Say you choose a Kriss with a riot shield (11 blocks). This would leave you with a couple options. You can choose to either upgrade the damage of the Kriss (limiting your option for a secondary weapon to the G18c machine pistol or dual pistols) or you could leave it as is and pick up an MP7 as a secondary weapon.
-If you went with the Heckler & Koch or the HRG nailgun with the riot shield instead (10 blocks), you'd be limited to a P90 (or H&K/HRG nailgun) as a secondary. But if you choose to upgrade the damage of the H&K/HRG Nailgun with the riot shield, you'd be limited to an MP7, G18c or dual pistols.
Obviously you wouldn't be able to upgrade your secondary weapons (unless you chose dual pistols or the G18c, assuming it weighs
2-3 blocks)

With the riot shield functioning in that way, I see no reason why it should be limited to only the G18c. I would much prefer the riot shield be used for every SMG, rather than limiting it to the G18c as I think it would make SWAT a much more dynamic perk to play (also further differentiating it from Commando). Not to mention, how many police raids have you ever seen with police holding a machine pistol? I mean I know we're not playing cops in Killing Floor 2, but why shouldn't you be allowed to wield both an SMG and a riot shield?

Thoughts?

Reactions: missing_trigger
I'm no expert on SWATs irl, but I'm sure there is a reason why riot shields are most commonly paired with a pistol of sorts. Suffice to say holding an SMG with one hand probably is not a great idea which presumably has a lot to do with the SMG's weight and fire-rate: the trade off might be higher SMG recoil, or lower walking speed while firing (stabilization purposes), or ADS will no longer be an option. Perhaps the SWAT needs to crouch fire for the SMG + riot shield combo to maintain accuracy. Maybe the MAC-10 as the exception-- Except it is technically also a machine pistol.

However, if the riot shield can be bought separately and paired with any other pistol, that would be a welcomed alternative too, i.e. if riot shield purchased, all pistols (including the 9mm) will automatically bring up the riot shield.

I would also say that the riot shield can be viable with any one handed melee, but that's probably going a bit too far game-design wise. [EDIT] Just checked, there isn't any other one handed melee other than the defaults lmao.

But I suppose shield is a paired weapon instead of a standalone weapon so as to keep it more inside the SWAT's pool since I can see other Perks using it in various scenarios as well. I'd say wait until the weapon releases before making a call on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: WunderKatze
Upvote 0
well, sounds like a cool idea, but as mentioned, dual wielding weapons are more like their own weapons that "replaces" the single pistol, and the fact that each SWAT gun would need to be reanimated to account for the shield for using one hand and being reloaded, and make stats for it being used one handed i doubt the devs would find doing all that worth it.
besides, SWAT gets a per level swap speed bonus which i think would really help blocking while using the bigger SMG's anway if you are quick enough.
also honestly, SWAT's weapons tend to feel the same with eachother and only does a machine pistol and riot shield combo feel radically different from the rest of his toolkit, and im honestly fine as is.
and givien how typically light his weapons are, i bet depending on your loadout, your only gonna need to sacrifice your third SMG to bring along the Riot G18C

Upvote 0