• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

AK47 & Katana? Why?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh, actually it's more like calling all AR-family rifles an "M16" rather than something extremely specific like "M16A1"

Uh, actually...that's my point: "AK-47" is just as specific as "M16A1". It's a very specific model.

M16s have always had the 'M16' part of the name (in the US military, anyway). The part after the 'M16' has changed (A1, A2, A3, etc), denoting specific models or versions.

AKs have kept the "AK" part (in the Soviet military, at least), but the part after the AK has changed dramatically, (AK-47, AKS, AKM, AKMS, AK-74) denoting specific models or versions.

See how that works?

I'm aware that people incorrectly think of all of them as AK-47s, but it doesn't make it any less wrong. In KF it should just be called the "AK" and that will fit into what people who actually know things about firearms call them, while still being obvious enough for the gun-ignorant to understand what it's referring to.

You have to admit that it's rather inconsistent that all the other guns, even though they look like specific models, have very general names: 9mm tactical, handcannon, shotgun, lever-action-rifle, bullpup. The point is that calling a gun an "AK-47" (which is the name of a very specific model) doesn't fit in with the naming conventions of the other weapons in the game. That's all the original poster was saying.

No matter how general you think "AK-47" is, it's still far more specific than "bullpup", for instance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Uh, actually...that's my point: "AK-47" is just as specific as "M16A1". It's a very specific model.

M16s have always had the 'M16' part of the name (in the US military, anyway). The part after the 'M16' has changed (A1, A2, A3, etc), denoting specific models or versions.

AKs have kept the "AK" part (in the Soviet military, at least), but the part after the AK has changed dramatically, (AK-47, AKS, AKM, AKMS, AK-74) denoting specific models or versions.

See how that works?

I'm aware that people incorrectly think of all of them as AK-47s, but it doesn't make it any less wrong. In KF it should just be called the "AK" and that will fit into what people who actually know things about firearms call them, while still being obvious enough for the gun-ignorant to understand what it's referring to.

You have to admit that it's rather inconsistent that all the other guns, even though they look like specific models, have very general names: 9mm tactical, handcannon, shotgun, lever-action-rifle, bullpup. The point is that calling a gun an "AK-47" (which is the name of a very specific model) doesn't fit in with the naming conventions of the other weapons in the game. That's all the original poster was saying.

No matter how general you think "AK-47" is, it's still far more specific than "bullpup", for instance.

if you want it to be consistent with the other names, it shouldn't be called ak as that is still the name of the rifle, it should simply be assault rifle. not that it matters anyway. few days ago, fantasy armors weren't in the game.

the game is constantly changing, unless it's something really game breaking or distracting, you'll be hard pressed to find any support for its removal. actually you won't find many people for or against as most are indifferent. naming conventions just isn't important for a game. the guy who said this is a form of obsessive compulsive disorder is probably right.

Upvote 0
if you want it to be consistent with the other names, it shouldn't be called ak as that is still the name of the rifle, it should simply be assault rifle.

The bullpup is also an assault rifle--otherwise, I'd agree. "Non-bullpup assault rifle" would be accurate, but obviously long, unwieldy, and rather silly-sounding. "Bullpup" just means that he action, magazine, and chamber are behind the trigger. There are even bullpup-style AK variations, as I mentioned earlier in this thread.

In Fallout 3, the AK-style rifle is called 'Chinese assault rifle' or something like that, which works (insert Russian, Soviet, Eastern-Bloc, commie, whatever), but is kind of long.

I think "AK" or "kalashnikov" is far more general (and accurate) than "AK-47", in any case and isn't too long. It would refer to the general rifle design, not a specific model.

Upvote 0
There's another fact that everyone seems fail to mention: The AK-47 (or whatever the name that shall be) doesn't exist. It's not released yet. So, wtf? There's no guarantee that that will be the name. There's no point discussing, at least, not yet.
And Yet. Name is just something that people consistent use to call a thing. What name isn't matter, as long as the name is used consistent. See? Ppl can call it f***ing gun and still no thing change. Just as long as ppl always use it... So, yes, probably obsessive compulsive disorder

Upvote 0
There's another fact that everyone seems fail to mention: The AK-47 (or whatever the name that shall be) doesn't exist. It's not released yet.

1) Load up Killing Floor
2) Click 'Profiles and Achievements'
3) Click 'commando'
4) Read the commando bonuses
5) Notice how it says 'AK47'

Granted, they could change it between now and then, but for right now, it apparently is called the "AK47".

Upvote 0
You have to admit that it's rather inconsistent that all the other guns, even though they look like specific models, have very general names: 9mm tactical, handcannon, shotgun, lever-action-rifle, bullpup. The point is that calling a gun an "AK-47" (which is the name of a very specific model) doesn't fit in with the naming conventions of the other weapons in the game. That's all the original poster was saying

This is because those are all modern and, you know, copyrighted, designs. It's a well known fact that Kalashnikov never copyrighted his design or anything (which, naturally, is why there are so many AK-variants). That's why it has it's full name and the Beretta is just the "9mm Tactical" because otherwise TWI would have to shell out royalties to Beretta.

Thus if TWI wants an AK-47 they can actually call it an AK-47.

Upvote 0
I really don't see why.

It's very clearly an AK-47. People will call it an AK-47. So they named it an AK-47.

Makes sense to me.

In the mod, Lever Action Rifle was called "Winchester". Why did they change that to retail version?

We call "LAR" as Winchester still because we played mod so long. We also call Handcannon as Desert Eagle sometimes.

I really don't care how they end up with the naming but they should make somekind of clear decision here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
no one's going to care if it's actually an AKM, WASR-10 or a Type 81. They see an AK, they think AK-47.

Just to nitpick this to certain death (because its fun!), the Type-81 is not an AK at all, it's actually a modified SKS-45 ;)

Take that you dead horse!

Also, i do care, as a big AK buff, i'd not be too happy if the name on the screen says "AK-47" but the model clearly looks like an AKM or an AK-74, besides, i've come to expect better things of TWI..

Personally i hope they do make it an AKM (as the most mass produced model of AK, and strangely enough also the one model most overlooked by other games, it would be the best choice IMO), and just call it "AK" so it'll fit in somewhat in name aswell, as the term "AK" is just used to describe this family of weapon, it's non specific but everyone knows what an "AK" is.

Upvote 0
In the mod, Lever Action Rifle was called "Winchester". Why did they change that to retail version?

We call "LAR" as Winchester still because we played mod so long. We also call Handcannon as Desert Eagle sometimes.

I really don't care how they end up with the naming but they should make somekind of clear decision here.

Because it's a mod. Mods are not commercial. Wincester is not going to go after a mod. There's no royalties to be made and there's no point in going "Hey, stop using our gun!" because there's no money to be gained (only to be lost, really, as it takes time out their busy day to send a cease and desist order).

Just to nitpick this to certain death (because its fun!), the Type-81 is not an AK at all, it's actually a modified SKS-45 ;)

Take that you dead horse!

Also, i do care, as a big AK buff, i'd not be too happy if the name on the screen says "AK-47" but the model clearly looks like an AKM or an AK-74, besides, i've come to expect better things of TWI..

I'm fairly sure they wouldn't make it a 74. If the AK is to be (as widely speculated) the bigger, meaner commando weapon, a 74 doesn't make much sense. 5.45x39mm and 5.56x45mm rounds are not terribly different in size. 7.62x39mm used by the 47 and the AKM is much more suited to a meaner, nosier weapon for the Commando.

Upvote 0

I agree. This is Tripwire we're talking about, and they're known for weapon realism and accuracy. If it were another company, like Valve, I'd expect it to be called "AK-47" or even "Machinegun" (people calling sub-machine guns or assault rifles machine guns is one of my pet peeves).

All they'd have to do is call it "AK" and that would make everyone happy. "AK" is a common term for the overall design of the entire family of rifles and would make the gun/realism-nuts like me happy, and the people who don't know much about firearms would also be able to figure out what it refers to rather easily and be happy.

The only people who might complain are the people who complain about everything, like the people who complain about the option to buy $2 skins/models, but they complain about everything by definition.

Upvote 0
Well, it's a strange thing they have made..

[url]http://www.beyondunreal.com/media/gen_090721_2.jpg[/URL]

Without a propper side view of the model, it's hard to say anything definate, but the reciver, top cover and front grip is definately from on AKM/AK-74, but the cloused front sight ring is to my knowledge only found on the Chinese and Albanian Type-56 (but the reciver and top cover do not match a T56), but by the looks of it, it's also a Carbine, looks like the front sight is build into the gaschamber, with a round hole through it, which i have only seen on the Romanian AIR Carbine, which does not have a cloused front sight ring.. so something's not quite right here..

Upvote 0
Because it's a mod. Mods are not commercial. Wincester is not going to go after a mod. There's no royalties to be made and there's no point in going "Hey, stop using our gun!" because there's no money to be gained (only to be lost, really, as it takes time out their busy day to send a cease and desist order).

And they have bought a licence from Mikhail Kalashnikov? For some reason I don't think so...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.