• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

AK47 & Katana? Why?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Templarion

Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2009
I am glad that there will be new weapons. I have nothing against it.

What I do not like are the names. No other items have specified names, only categorized ones. Either name all the items or don't name any of them.

So the new names should be: automatic rifle & sword.

Is it really THAT game breaking? You do realize the LAW is still named LAW and not "Rocket Launcer" . Bulpup is not called "Automatic pistol w/scope"(Pretty much does the same dmg >.>)

Just looking forward to the Sweeping aoe from the Katana *_*

Is this just a rumor? I know some immature people who get their panties in a twist whenever the K-word is typed.
And some posters get their wrists slapped for typing the word.

cx

Upvote 0

What I do not like are the names. No other items have specified names, only categorized ones. Either name all the items or don't name any of them.

They could call it "kalashnikov", which is a pretty generic name for the design. I doubt it'll be an actual AK-47 anyway. Most AKs in current use aren't AK-47s. The Kalashnikov design has been manufactured in many countries in many variations on the basic design. My Kalashnikov-style rifle is a Romanian WASR-10, for instance.

They can't call it "assault rifle", since the bullpup is an assault rifle, specifically a bullpup-style assault rifle, and "non-bullpup" sounds silly. In fact, there is even a bullpup-style kalashnikov rifle made.

"Katana" is generic. It's a style of sword, just like "bullpup" is a style of rifle. If it was called "Masamune katana", that'd be specific.

Upvote 0

Why? Do proper names offend you or something?

Also, yes, there is an other item with specified names. It's called the LAW.

Upvote 0
It's very clearly an AK-47. People will call it an AK-47. So they named it an AK-47.

You don't really...know much about AK-47s, do you? The basic Kalashnikov design has been made in many variations, in many countries under many names. The likelihood of it being an actual AK-47 is quite low. it'd be far more likely for it to be an AKM or something based on it.

You seem to think all assault rifles that look like that are AK-47s and they're not. In fact, most aren't. Actual AK-47s were only in wide use in the Soviet Union from 1956-1959. After '59, the AKM replaced the AK-47. Then in 1978, The AK-74 replaced the AKM.

Both licensed and unlicensed production of the Kalashnikov weapons abroad were almost exclusively of the AKM variant, partially due to the much easier production of the stamped receiver. This model is the most commonly encountered, having been produced in much greater quantities. All rifles based on the Kalashnikov design are frequently referred to as AK-47s in the West, although this is only correct when applied to rifles based on the original 3 receiver types.[17] In most former Eastern Bloc countries, the weapon is known simply as the "Kalashnikov".
Source

Calling all Kalashnikov-style rifles "AK-47" is like calling all AR-15/M16/M4-style rifles "M16A1", (the earliest version used by our Military, back in the 60s-70s) when that is obviously not correct.

It should be called the "Kalashnikov", or just the "AK". That's what I call my Romanian WASR-10, which is certainly not an AK-47, but is based on the basic Kalashnikov design.

Upvote 0
You don't really...know much about AK-47s, do you? The basic Kalashnikov design has been made in many variations, in many countries under many names. The likelihood of it being an actual AK-47 is quite low. it'd be far more likely for it to be an AKM or something based on it.

I know that.

But that's nitpicking TBH. Many companies have made their own brand of 1911 but there's no major difference that warrants inclusion in a video game, especially not one who's grasp on realism is somewhat tenous. Same thing goes for the AK.

You seem to think all assault rifles that look like that are AK-47s and they're not. In fact, most aren't. Actual AK-47s were only in wide use in the Soviet Union from 1956-1959. After '59, the AKM replaced the AK-47. Then in 1978, The AK-74 replaced the AKM.

Didn't you make this point in the chunk of text above?

Calling all Kalashnikov-style rifles "AK-47" is like calling all AR-15/M16/M4-style rifles "M16A1", (the earliest version used by our Military, back in the 60s-70s) when that is obviously not correct.

Uh, actually it's more like calling all AR-family rifles an "M16" rather than something extremely specific like "M16A1"

It should be called the "Kalashnikov", or just the "AK". That's what I call my Romanian WASR-10, which is certainly not an AK-47, but is based on the basic Kalashnikov design.

As long as it still looks and acts largely like an AK-47, no one's going to care if it's actually an AKM, WASR-10 or a Type 81. They see an AK, they think AK-47.

Tripwire's merely named it as people will see it. Makes sense, does it not?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.