• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Sport] Airsoft Field Gear and Weapons

I'd probably give Paintball a fair try if only it was cheaper, and there was anywhere to play it near me, but there just isen't, it aint cheap, and the guns.. well they are not something i'd care to hang on my wall for display if it turns out i don't like it, so that'd be a wash.

I have no ill will twords paintball, it's just neither affordable nor practical for me to play it, but on the flipside, there's an Airsoft field just 25 kilometers away, and a new one about to be opened just 5 kilometers away, and it's both affordable and i like the guns and the game, so, that's what it boils down to really.

Upvote 0
moneys not the issue for me, its all about the fun and bruises. I can see your point about location tho, if they dont do it, it scuppers your chances of playing!

So you buy guns ot put on a wall? your either living at your parents or on your own :p mrs Craig would cut my sack off if i attempted such things hehe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nah, i don't actually have them on my wall, i'm a single guy and i could, but on the flipside, i don't really need people spotting them hanging there through a window and calling the fuzz to come turn my house upside down, nor does it send a very good message when you have a lady staying over for the night..

Saying "on the wall" is just easier understood than "in the pantry", as that is not usually a place people connect with gun storage, but thats where mine live when i'm not tinkering with them.

Upvote 0
In all honesty i have never played airsoft so i just cant understand how you could know your hit if it his a relativly solid piece of kit. . knee pad, holster, weapon . .. . maybe they are stronger impacts than i remember from plinkering as a 12 year old at the beack with a bb gun.

if any of you are ever in the uk and after some paintballing give me a shout, ill happily show you real pain!

Upvote 0
if any of you are ever in the uk and after some paintballing give me a shout, ill happily show you real pain!

I woulden't be too sure about that, well, maybe in the UK where Airsoft is legally restricted to pathetic FPS limits (1 joule max energy), but if you ask people who have played both, in places where Airsoft is allowed 1.5 or even 1.7 joule limits, you get some very mixed results.

Typically they will tell you that Paintball feels like taking a soft(ish) punch, but airsoft feels more like getting stung by a bee, so they are different kinds of pain, that paintball hurts more right now, but is quickly ignored, but airsoft is more concentrated and hurts for much longer.. i have heard many arguents for why one or the other is "the more painfull of the two", so the bottom line is probably that it's subjective, different people have different tollerences to thease different kinds of pain, so it could go either way for you.

Upvote 0
Regarding those rules, in Croatia the norm is:

400 FPS max for full auto weapons
500 FPS for semi auto
600 FPS for bolt-action (snipers, mostly)

So, if you assume that you use 0.23 or 0.25 with full auto and 0.25-0.3 for semi and bolt, how much Joules would those BBs hit with?
I'm asking because getting pinked even by a 400 FPS auto rifle can be rather stingy, pain-wise.

Upvote 0
Regarding those rules, in Croatia the norm is:

400 FPS max for full auto weapons
500 FPS for semi auto
600 FPS for bolt-action (snipers, mostly)

So, if you assume that you use 0.23 or 0.25 with full auto and 0.25-0.3 for semi and bolt, how much Joules would those BBs hit with?
I'm asking because getting pinked even by a 400 FPS auto rifle can be rather stingy, pain-wise.

400 FPS is 120 m/s, so for an 0.25g BB, it would leave the muzzle with just over 1.5 joules of energy, and should hit with exactly 1.5 joules at six meters range.

500 FPS is 150 m/s, so with an 0.25g thats around 2.5 Joules at the muzzle, 1.5 joules at 20 meters range.
For an 0.30g it would be about 3.0 joules at the muzzle, 30 meters till it has dropped to 1.5 joules.

600 FPS is about 180 m/s, so for an 0.25g thats around 3.5 joules at the muzzle, and about 30 meters of travel before it's down to 1.5 joules.
For an 0.30g that's allmost 5 joules at the muzzle, 40 meters to travel before it's down to 1.5 joules.

We use similar FPS limits here ;)

Upvote 0
A paintball hits at just over 11 joules.

And then bursts, which not only uses up energy, but spreads it out over a larger surface and prevents any real impulse energy from beeing imparted on you, which is a good thing, if it was a hard plastic ball hitting at 11 joules, you would not be having fun..

In Airsoft the BB is not only hard, it's only 6mm in diameter and much lighter, so for it to generate any real amount of joules on impact, it has to travel much faster than a paintball ever does, and it imparts its energy on a much smaller surface (and does not break up on impact, atleast, not on flesh), so the safe joule limit is much lower here, if you go too fast the BB will penetrate skin and flesh, and then it's not a game anymore, then it's just dangerous..

You just can't compare the two directly, an 11 joule painball can hit a cardboard box and just leave a splat and a dent, whereas a 1.5 joule BB will penetrate both sides of the box and still have plenty penetrating power left to spare, they are different beasts, and if you actually made an airsoft gun capable of delivering 11 joules on impact, that's .22 air-rifle turf, so anyone you shot would probably need a visit to the ER to have BB's dug out of their flesh.

Upvote 0
Papshade.jpg

PPSHvsAKM.jpg

I wonder what thease could be..

Upvote 0
I'd probably give Paintball a fair try if only it was cheaper, and there was anywhere to play it near me, but there just isen't, it aint cheap, and the guns.. well they are not something i'd care to hang on my wall for display if it turns out i don't like it, so that'd be a wash.

Paintball is expensive, but I find it a lot more enjoyable (and more painful) than airsoft. Hell, I was playing saturday morning; I got shot up close around 50 times that day. It hurt, but it was good for me in terms of confidence, etc.

Paintball guns are very nice, too. They're much nicer to look after than an airsoft gun. You look after them like a real gun; stripping, cleaning, maintaining and customising. Sure, they don't always look like the real thing, but they're a lot more powerful and satisfying to see, shoot and hear.

The Tippmann brands are heavily customisable and that can lead you to many, many, many different functions and even that milsim look.

This is the first thing people think of when they hear "paintball gun" :

04105a.jpg

If you have experience on the woodsball field, this is what you will think of when you hear "paintball gun" :

Gun-AO-08SIM5PE.jpg

Of course, the price is high, but can you still say anything about looks? If you can ever find a place to play paintball with your own equipment, it's worth every penny. The only thing you'll have to pay for is paintballs and a small entry fee (or membership) :p

Upvote 0
Gun-AO-08SIM5PE.jpg

Of course, the price is high, but can you still say anything about looks? If you can ever find a place to play paintball with your own equipment, it's worth every penny. The only thing you'll have to pay for is paintballs and a small entry fee (or membership) :p

Actually i can, it's not a very good replica really, and i bet it still needs a hopper attached, and that's probably the nicest Paintball replica i have seen too, most of them aren't even that nice (and especially not all the AK's i've seen, which would be my gun of choice, but they all look compleately wrong).

But it's a mood point really, as there's no place even remotely near me that plays paintball, and it seems the only paintball that actually does get played in this country, is highly competitive Speedball played in small arena's, noting milsim, and i've never cared for Speedball, it's just not my thing.

I would actually like to atleast try a Paintball mil-sim, something on a nice big field with lots of players, but it just doesen't exist in this country, not in that form.

Upvote 0