• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Aimed/zoomed sensitivity problem

octiceps

Grizzled Veteran
May 28, 2012
Never mind, figured it out. The culprit is pseudo negative mouse acceleration caused by the game's free aim system in ADS.

Basically I'm trying to match my ADS sens with my hipfire sens since that is my preference in all FPS games (helps immensely with accuracy and muscle memory). To that end, I've got "zoomed/aiming sensitivity" maxed out in-game since it's a floating-point coefficient between 0 and 1 for the main mouse sensitivity setting (default is 0.35 or 35% of main sens).

Now this works, but the big problem is it skips pixels, for lack of a better phrase, while aimed down the sights. On-screen movement is super jerky and there is a huge dead-zone between movements. The actual sensitivity feeling is fine. I'm using a 1500 DPI mouse, game sens set to 5 and Windows sens at default 6/11 which gives me ~22cm/360.

Is there a variable in one of the game's .ini files that'll make mouse movement smooth at 1:1 ADS to hipfire sens ratio? I feel like it's staring me in the face but I can't find it.

EDIT: And I should add that the mouse skipping is a problem in multiplayer but not in the training missions. Weird.

Last edited:
Found out it's by design. This game has a free aim system when aiming down sights/scopes in all game modes except Action and singleplayer. Sensitivity is much higher in the center of the screen than on the periphery, and the gun model is somewhat decoupled from the player viewpoint when moving the mouse. Free aim is pretty disappointing and something you'd expect out of a Wii/Wii U title, not a keyboard & mouse PC shooter. Anything that makes mouse movement random or inconsistent such as smoothing, acceleration, and free aim has no place here and hinders skill progression. At least players should be given the option for raw mouse input.

Thread can be marked as "solved".

Upvote 0