• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map AHzVehicles_TWO_Beta1: ALLIES

Slyk

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2006
www.after-hourz.com
MWz_Allies_small.jpg

Please submit your feedback and suggestions here for AHzVehicles_Two_Beta1 ALLIES. Feel free to post historical/factual data as well.

This stuff is great.:D

Thank you very much.:) Players of RO always greatly appreciate people who design new vehicles and weapons and work on maps.

I saw the Russian truck while playing Elyna Beta 2.

But this is going to sound like a really dumb question: what would you call this? A vehicle expansion / update???

Is Minion Workz part of Tripwire?? Or, are they a separate group that develops and works on new vehicles for RO??

So these new vehicles just appear in the maps now?? As a player, you do not have to download a file??

Upvote 0
Thanks. This started out as one map and two vehicles, then three, then two maps and on and on. We would not do things the same way again, instead working on smaller groups for release. The work to date has been very demanding for just a couple guys, mainly Teufelhund.

No. No association with Tripwire. We have a very healthy relationship with the TWI team and that never hurts.

You can download the vehicle pack and extract it on your PC and then add vehicles to maps if you want. Otherwise, community mappers need to add them to their work and eventually you should see some new stuff coming out with the vehicles.

I think our team will be moving away from new development once this package is finalized. I know we all want a break. And then there is the learning curve for UT3 tools. We'll see what happens the next couple months.

Upvote 0
I think that is lamentable...

Other people would like do the correction...

If your idea of trying to get assistance is by pasting your private messages into community-wide forums, your tactics have failed you badly.

What is or is not released by any mod team or individual is their choice. Release of BETA code at any point, to the general public, is a very bad choice. It is a guarantee that someone will begin hacking around in it, and as we have seen in other maps/situations, the hacking results in errors and conflicts that only complicate things for everyone. There is always someone who "thinks" they know better... that is so often not the case and there is plenty of evidence to show that.

Once the code is finalized, it will be a decision for us to make whether to release it or not. But in BETA form, "No". There is nothing done in the code by Teufelhund, that cannot be done by anyone else willing to invest the time. He has extended code from TWI and created all the options and functions. Anyone can do this. Not having the code is not stopping anyone from doing further development. Teufel has even posted some code segments to allow the Tiger to have S&D functionality.

To summarize:
- Posting Private Messages in public: Bad. All trust lost.
- Chances of BETA code being released: Zero.
- Chances of FINAL code being released: Undecided.
- Chances of getting help/input from us: Very good, depending on issue.

Upvote 0
I do not have a screen shot but I did play an Orel tank map that included the two new KV tanks.

One thing I noticed is that the tanks kind of stood out like a sore thumb visually speaking. There seemed to be a white outline around the build for some reason.

Is this just me? What could cause that?

No idea, Gonzo. At what distance did you see this white outline? Can you get some screen shots? Otherwise, it is hard to put in perspective. Up to 1,000 meters we have not had issues. Did anyone else in the server mention this issue? Whatever information you can provide would be helpful.

Upvote 0
You know the word "community" ?

... is not peer and help ?

... is shameful ... :mad:

I hope I'm misunderstanding your post. Your not saying that Slyk, I or anyone involved in the package have not been helpful? If you remember or read other posts, you probably know I helped Diablo with the vehicle speed question. Why am I even defending myself.....

It will be interesting to see if the other mods release source right from the start. The horn is not working, so I'm not going to release something that doesn't work and frankly isn't even close.

Adding the horn was not rocket science. It was really simple. Add the function into the base vehicle that is called when you click the fire ("Fire" function) button. Then, Look for a function called "ServerPlayHorn". Call that from "fire".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You wrote via PM. I answered you, multiple times. You had no need to post the PMs in the public forum. It would not matter, the answer would be the same:

No release of the BETA code.

We may or may not release the final code. We do not have a decision on that. We will decide when the time comes. At this point, if someone has an idea or knowledge of how to fix what they find as an error/bug, they can tell us so that the fix can go into the final release. Full credit would be given to the person who helps correct a bug in the code.

Upvote 0
I don't know if this is a problem with the new models or just me, but I have found it very difficult on the Klin map to get sapper explosives to blow up the new Allied tanks.

The charges just do not seem to "stick" to these tanks like they do on other tanks - they just seem to fall off or explode harmlessly behind the tanks.

It feels as if there is an invisible wall around the tanks. Perhaps someone has had a similar or a different experience?

Upvote 0
If this has been covered, please excuse.

It appears to me that the scope settings on HE rounds are different from the AP rounds on the PAK guns. I'll pay more attention next time, but I know that on one map HE rounds were shooting in an entirely different place than the AP rounds. For example if I set the scope for 400meters with AP rounds to hit a stationary target and then load the next round with HE, the HE round will hit short.

Just me? Designed that way?

Floyd

Upvote 0

It appears to me that the scope settings on HE rounds are different from the AP rounds on the PAK guns. I'll pay more attention next time, but I know that on one map HE rounds were shooting in an entirely different place than the AP rounds. For example if I set the scope for 400meters with AP rounds to hit a stationary target and then load the next round with HE, the HE round will hit short.

Floyd
As far as IRL goes, the main reason of having a different range scale for AP (PzGr) and HE (SprGr) is the difference in muzzle velocity. SprGr were fired with a lower muzzle velocity than PzGr.
Basically, the AP is virtual solid, with a bursting charge of only 70g, so it can withstand higher velocity without breaking up. While HE has far thinner wall, to fit in an explosive filler of something like 850g. You risk the shell breaking up if you put it under too much stress. Also it doesn't need to hit the target as hard/fast as and AP.

And with the really high velocity Pak 43, barrel wear was a problem. From a US intelligence bulletin (http://www.lonesentry.com/new88mm/index.html),
"German gun crews have been warned not to use high-velocity ammunition in Model 1943 tubes which have fired as many as 500 rounds. To preserve the gun tube against erosion, they may fire high-explosive shell with a low-velocity propellant rated at 1,080 feet per second."
That's 330m/s, or 33% of the velocity of AP.
The Tiger II had a SprGr shell that had a velocity of 750m/s, which is still a lot slower than AP.

Upvote 0
I understand what you are saying.

Which pak gun? Both the 40 and 43 or just one? Without going into technical details, the ranges and ammo should be adjusted so it compensates for each type of round, thus it will hit a target at the selected range at the aim point. A HE should hit the same spot as a AP will given the same range setting.

I did "adjust" the guns on our range map. If you know the map/location of the gun it will help me test.

Thanks.

Floyd

Upvote 0
I'll pay more attention next time. I can't recall the map or the gun :eek:. I do know that I was in a hurry trying to take out as many targets as possible before meeting my demise. But I distinctly recall having adjusted the sights and having fired several AP rounds through the gun (don't know which one) at a distant tank at that setting. Several foot soldiers emerged from behind the tank so I switched to HE rounds. The HE rounds didn't just "fall short", they hit the ground very close to the gun. I thought, "Hmmm. Perhaps the gun 'resets' itself to its initial default position upon the switch of ammo types and I have to re-sight targets?"

I'll try and replicate the issue to be sure I'm not just imagining things. If no one else has experiences it, I'll just take a few more of my blue pills in the morning....:cool:

Floyd

Upvote 0