• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

After steadily-increasing lag, critical stop error

Nubbers

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 27, 2009
AZ, USA
Note: I tried to post this as a reply to a thread that had a similar error message, but it never registered the reply. If it shows up, I'll delete this thread.

As a pretext, I've been experiencing a real bevy of problems trying to play Killing Floor since I first purchased the game. Since most of them aren't deal-breakers (for me), I'll reserve them for another post.

However, just within the last day, I've been receiving an error message that culminates a nasty breakdown in graphical performance.

I join a game, and the connection is fine. My ping hovers under 100 (and remains so for the duration of the game). However, as the waves progress, the game becomes occasionally choppy. Then it becomes a steady chug. Finally, around wave 7 or 8, with the game nigh-unplayable, Killing Floor simply stops. I find myself back at my desktop with the game process terminated, and an error message. It has been formatted to fit the horizontal parameters of this post:

Build KillingFloor_Build_[2009-02-09_10.82]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2019 MHz with 2047MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT/GTO (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) (8171)

Assertion failed: SavedStateIndex+1 < MAX_STATESTACKDEPTH [File:.\D3DRenderInterface.cpp] [Line: 160]

History: F3DRenderInterface::pushState
<- FBspDrawList::Render
<- RenderLevel
<- KF-Offices.myLevel
<- FLevelSceneNode::Render
<- RenderLevel
<- KF-Offices.myLevel
<- FLevelSceneNode::Render
<- FPlayerSceneNode::Render
<- UGameEngine:: Draw (added space to avoid smiley formatting)
<- UWindowsViewport::Repaint
<- UWindowsClient::Tick
<- ClientTick
<- UGameEngine::Tick
<- Level KF-Offices
<- UpdateWorld
<- MainLoop
<- FMallocWindows::Free
<- FMallocWindows::Realloc
<- 4C576C61 0 FArray
<- FArray::Realloc
<- 0*2
<- FMallocWindows::Free

I immediately proceeded to update the Windows 7 64-bit drivers to support my GeForce 7900 GT (as the OS auto-installed an older version). That didn't fix the problem. I then followed all the advice outlined by Yoshiro in his "Known Issues and Fixes" thread, to no avail.

As I mentioned before, the problems I'd been experiencing before this one, while annoying (connection issues, inability to see internet servers, inability to transfer to new game on same server, etc.) weren't impossible to ignore. This, however, has me finally contemplating the uninstallation of this highly-enjoyable game for good.

Any help and/or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

-- Nubbers