• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Advanced Scoring (point system)

O'Shannon

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2006
Germany
those are my thoughts about a new point system.

Points-Tasks

100*x--capturing Objective | x=percentage you captured (100*80%=80 points)
10*x---Kill | x=K/D or K/min of the victim
+5---Attack Kill bonus (killing someone who is in a Cap while being outside a Cap) [(10+5)*(victim K/D)]
+5---Defense Kill bonus (killing someone who is outside a Cap while being in a Cap)
+10--

Last edited:
Reactions: Nicholas
Personally I want a completely different capture system which would go together with a different point system. When making an influence based cap system you can determine a players strategical importance and for that give bonuses for killing him.

But in case the old cap system stays, I hope that the points for the cap depend on your addition towards the cap.

Like:

time you were in the capzone
----------------------------------- X 300 points = the points you recieve.
total time it took the team to cap

This way if you were in the cap the entire time and die in the last 3 seconds before the team caps, you would still get rewarded for it. And if you just walk into the cap when the rest of your team pretty much secured it and cleared it out you get less points than them.

Another method that could be used in the final movement of the capbar for what % of the bar moving from left to right you were in the capzone. So say you join the capzone halfway through the cap you will only get 50% of the points, and if you join it early on and die in the last 10% of the bar you get 90% of the points.

Next to that it would be nice to increase the point award you get for killing someone based on the opponents points/minute, kills/minute ratio, seconds alive, k/d ratio or whatever. So when you kill that pesky mg or sniper that has been murdering your team you receive more points than just killing a random dude.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
time you were in the capzone
----------------------------------- X 300 points = the points you recieve.
total time it took the team to cap

capturing Objective
100*x | x=Ammout Captured
x=0 = not been in the cap at all.
x=1 = been in cap the whole time(the whole "bar").

that sound good to me... but whole be a downer in some cases: its fullcap and instead off advancing and cutting the way to the cap the hole team might stay in cap to get as much points as possible...

Kill
10*x | x=K/D of the victim.

no clue what the average K/D is but i would guess somewhere at 1 +-0.5

this should work, too.

I often wondered if commande could get say 2 points for smoking.

yeah points-reward for good smoke would certainly be cool thing but for that you would need to find a way to judge if this smoke is a good smoke in this situation... i would not know how to put "you smoked the view of the badass mg that killed dozen off your teammates" into a mathematical term..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think for countdown kill/death perhaps works the best.
But for territory I think that kills/minute work better.

Purely because some classes like smgs are supposed to die more than snipers. Kills/minute work well because to maintain the highest score you must continuously be killing and not running back from spawn.

I think that time is just an important factor if you have a 10:1 kill/d ratio when you only have 10 total kills in a round is not the same as having a 10:1 kill/d ratio when you have 1000 total kills in a round. In a game with re spawning the factor of time must be in the equation somewhere.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Please not

Please not

Hell no, I have to disagree... Look at that, I just finished a map like Danzig with a score of a quadrubletrillion points...

I think with the current score system you can still easily determine how many points have been achieved through kills and caps.

I prefer having points given like this:

Kill: 1 point
Cap: 5 points
MG supply: 1 point

This keeps the number easy to read and will drop the issue of people dying, supplying MG, dying supplying MG etc. However, it's still an easy point to get which people will collect when passing an MG without ammo.

Sensemann

Upvote 0
Hell no, I have to disagree... Look at that, I just finished a map like Danzig with a score of a quadrubletrillion points...

I think with the current score system you can still easily determine how many points have been achieved through kills and caps.

I prefer having points given like this:

Kill: 1 point
Cap: 5 points
MG supply: 1 point

This keeps the number easy to read and will drop the issue of people dying, supplying MG, dying supplying MG etc. However, it's still an easy point to get which people will collect when passing an MG without ammo.

Sensemann

He makes sense.

Upvote 0

well for that i personally would welcome a Score column and a K/D column in the scoreboard.

this scroing system+zetumei's fine tuned Cap and kill point system.. the score would show a really good representation of how you perform...

Look at that, I just finished a map like Danzig with a score of a quadrubletrillion points...

with this system in place and assuming that the game will be designed for 16v16 the score would range somewere around 200~700 points?

i dont see a problem with that since as i said befor its a good representation of how you perform...

Upvote 0
I disagree showing some Death info onto the scoreboard.
I assume it would encourage people to camp and stay in holes trying to have a suitable Kill/Death ratio for themselves and their ego, instead of putting effort stopping enemy waves harassing the Radio Bunker that CANNOT BE CAPPED by the enemy at ALL COSTS. RO was cool for that : no K/D ratio bull****, teamplay and objective attackers/defenders. It would end up in a selfish game style :'(

I really fear if u introduce that K/D info @ scoreboard like in all other games like in say BFBC2 it encourages people camping and playing for kills, no matter if the mcoms/capzones are getting capped by the enemy.

Let it as it is in he game. When game/round finished u get a screen with more info : like objective points (cap points), team points (supplying MGs) and w/e more :)
Like here for example :

bfbc2stars6gni2.jpg

bfbc2stars6gni2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
K/D only says something in a non respawn situation. In a respawn situation you have a bigger urge of time. as 10000 kills and 1000 deaths is better than 10 kills and 1 death.

Something like Kills^2/(Deaths*Minutes) would give a better representation.

Basically Kill/Death ratio show a ratio of how you efficiently you kill the enemy (quality measure), where a Kill/Minute ratio shows how quick you kill enemies (quantity measure). By multiplying those with each other you get a more complete picture of an individuals fighting skills.

But a Points^2/(Deaths*Minutes) ratio would work as well and takes into account someone's teamwork.

Personally i think a seperation in a teamwork achievement and kill achievement could be nice as an option for servers. As the info at the least is handy for more competitive play to see more details.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When i hear "ohh god no, people would start camp, oh no" in relation with RO i have to lol..

RO defence is nothing but camping... best way to defend a cap entrance is to CAMP it...
stalingrad for example.
Stalingrad Assembly Hall the corner between red and blue door-> camp spot!
Assembly Hall on top of the glass office-> camp spot!
Assembly Hall on top of the steel beam -> camp spot!
every common MG position -> camp spot!
all common Positions that are being used in order to keep the cap clean.

Upvote 0
When i hear ppl loling about pp who fear useless camping in RO, i start to lol to, especially if those ppl loling are germans. Such smart ppl, germans :rolleyes:

U know what O'Shannon, u don't have to make immediately sarcasm of someone when u think ure right and the other is wrong, especially when u didin't understand what i meant despite of ur

Upvote 0
WoW... i didnt mean to be sarcastic...

let me try again..

Camping is commonly used in RO. there is a huge mass off "useless campers", already. and since i have some experience myself i assume that showing K/D wouldn't increase the number of those campers much.

and the goal of this Point system is to get people to do the right stuff. get into cap, clear it, hold it, advance, repeat (at least for SMG Semis and maybe rifles). thats why i for myself think that Stuff like achievments, medals and such should be based on that sort of score system and not Kill based.
there should be achievement that help to get the game going:

• score X points on mapXY. ( while only way to achieve X points on mapXY would be to be present in caps allot and do Attack- and Defense-Kills over standard kills)
  • capture every Objective on mapXY. you need to at least be present for 50% of every capture.

back to campers:
* since there are going to be some different gamemodes like "Deathmatch", Countdown, Territory(RO:OST) every typ of player will find its place. campers would go for the Countdown mode since camping will be very efficient there. players you kill stay dead and will not be able to go after you in the same phase/part of the map.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
WoW... i didnt mean to be sarcastic...

let me try again..

Camping is commonly used in RO. there is a huge mass off "useless [...]

There u go :)
Said so i'm with on all points, but i still think the K/D ratio should be shown only at the end Scoreboard like i showed with that bfbc2 example shot to prevent any encouragement of weird and noob behavior camping to kill only. Ur point on the achievement award system is good tho.

Upvote 0
Again to stop people from being too static why not use a combination of Kill/Death ratio and a Kill/Minute ratio.

Aka you need to kill quick to get a high kill/minute ratio. And you need to beware of dying for the Kill/Death ratio.

So Kill/Minute multiplied with the Kill/Death ratio could give a really nice ratio to utilize. That gives an urgence of time in the equation that a pure kill/death ratio lacks.

Upvote 0
Again to stop people from being too static why not use a combination of Kill/Death ratio and a Kill/Minute ratio.

Aka you need to kill quick to get a high kill/minute ratio. And you need to beware of dying for the Kill/Death ratio.

So Kill/Minute multiplied with the Kill/Death ratio could give a really nice ratio to utilize. That gives an urgence of time in the equation that a pure kill/death ratio lacks.
Are we in a race? Whats the rush for kills/minute? Sounds a little CoD'ish to me. (Yeah, yeah...I hear you. You've got kill/death to balance it out.) ;)

With regard to stats in general, imo, I'd rather leave all the you-killed-this-with-that-in-this-map-at-that- distance and this-person-that-many-times up to third party stats programs. We had those ad nasueum for MoH and early CoD. Server owners would post them on their websites. Worked great for those who were interested in good stats and provided a hook for servers.

I quite aware that there are other opinions and that TW will do what they feel works for their game, but there is mine.:cool:

Upvote 0