• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

advanced MG supplying

O'Shannon

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2006
Germany
Since there is a weight system in RO:HOS i came up with this idea.

1. You should be able to check/uncheck additional MG-ammo in the classmenu...
    • Checked ->
      You can supply MGs but are littel bit slower than default speed (or/and you have less stamina) while carring the additional weight.
    • Unchecked ->
      You cannot supply your mg but are faster(default speed) (or/and you have standard stamina)
  2. If you start without MG-ammo you still can pick up some MG-ammo.
    • dead teammate(dead teammate that has checked MG-ammo option and died befor he could supply MG)
      (so he would drop -> pri.Weapon+Ammo, sek.Weapon+Ammo, Nades, !MG-ammo!)
    • dead MG-teammate (he would drop -> pri.Weapon + !MG-Ammo!, sek.Weapon+Ammo, Nades)
  3. supplying shouldn't give you 5 points, 2 are more than enough.

* The RO:OST pickup system would not be optimal for the additional stuff you drop. a different Pickup system was already discussed in many topics and i have to say best way would be : dead player drops last equiped weapon and the rest should be pick from the dead body.. i know about the client sided regdoll problem(net replication) but still.. this would be the best/most realistic way..

an improved RO:OST system would be "OK", too. some script were the droped items dont stack on top of each other but slide down from another so they end up being side by side.

(assuming that there will be no general choice in the Classmenu of how many mag you wanna take with you)

Last edited:
I don't think a +5 for resupplying is bad, but you should only get points when the MG actually asks for ammo. When there is a penalty for carrying ammo I fear that too few people would carry ammo.

Its just that the encouragement for giving ammo at the moment is so big that it's annoying when playing as an mg.

ok lets put it that way...

-you can only supply if mg asks for ammo(uses "need ammo" commend)

-as it is know by default every one has mg-ammo

- if you supply someone with MGammo you'll get 2 points (20points like in my points suggestion)

- if you supply someone with MGammo you'll lose this weight and become faster.

maybe only squad-members can supply there mg. but all this just speculation since we dont know exactly how the new "squad system" work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It would be nice if you could have a dedicated MG support guy. Who'll carry more ammo, and tripod if implemented. They could help direct fire using the pointing system (only MG they're next to would see this), and if realistic, might have binocs. Of course, like in tanks, they'd share points with the MGer.

OOHHHH I just made a mess in my pants. I would very much like a MG team system. A role with no MG, but extra ammo, an extra barrel or two, and a pair of binos to allocate targets.

-although according to the role description in RO:OST the squadleader / commander is meant to be a target designator, but I doubt it's worked out that way more than 5 times in the history of RO.

Upvote 0
What the **** would you do as a loader? Press mouse 1 to load for the whole match?

Don't get him started on "loader."

I think MG support is interesting enough with the spotting, and maybe having a side-arm, compared to loading rounds in a tank.

Edit: Of course I'd also be interested in a dedicated optional tank commander role (for tanks that had this), for spotting enemies for gunner and MGer, and telling the driver where to go (via pointing system).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For gameplays sake, any supporting needs to be passive.

It'd be nice if people would *selflessly* play as machine gun assistants, tank loaders etc, but realistically only a tiny number of people are ever going to play them, which means TWI spending time on that, means less time on other more important things.

If its really in demand for clans, it can be modded in.

So anyway, passive support would work like this.

You're under fire in the middle of a street, you run behind a wall for cover, while you are crouched next to the wall, the MG gets a boost in reloading speed/ firing speed/reduce jamming if its a belt fed weapon (whatever is realistic, i dont know reality well enough).

So when you were next to an MG, you would automatically help out with the MG, and other players would see you do animations like help feed the belt or help reloading.

Of course to avoid abuse, you would be able to stop the "support" at any time by walking away or sighting your gun.

This way players near MGs would be encouraged to "support" MGs, especially if they were SMG or another class that is bad at range.

This could also be done with Tank Crewmen. So if a tank is "full" (i.e. MG, driver and commander are full), you can still get in the tank, and you will fit in the "loader" slot, giving a boost to the tanks reload speed.

Not fully realistic, but adds the features, and would actually get used, being a good compromise between realism (support in game), and gameplay (no one* wants to play dedicated support classes)

*no one but realism nuts

Upvote 0
Don't get him started on "loader."

I think MG support is interesting enough with the spotting, and maybe having a side-arm, compared to loading rounds in a tank.

Edit: Of course I'd also be interested in a dedicated optional tank commander role (for tanks that had this), for spotting enemies for gunner and MGer, and telling the driver where to go (via pointing system).

I also support the option for Commander + Gunner + Driver + MG, and a pointing system would be great.

It would really reward team tanking, as a full crewed tank would be able to spot and destroy targets much faster (and more realistically). Especially if combined with animations for moving position so you cant solo tank as easy.

They wouldnt even need to do any immersion breaking indicators.

Just have it context based voice commands, so if the Commander is looking at a tank at 4 o clock, you Left/Middle click, and voice command goes "TANK AT 4 o CLOCK" etc

ALSO THE OPPORTUNITY TO PUT YOUR FACE UP TO VIEW PORTS IN CUPPOLA IS ESSENTIAL!

On a small screen, you can barely see anything outside the cuppola view points, which makes it useless to try and look around while protected.

When there are infantry about, you dont want to put your head out, but do want a good view of around the tank.

Upvote 0
Very cool idea. Would be nice if you select MG ammo, you actually get/have to select the ammo box in your weapons, and throw/put it down for the machinegunner.

It would be nice if you could have a dedicated MG support guy. Who'll carry more ammo, and tripod if implemented. They could help direct fire using the pointing system (only MG they're next to would see this), and if realistic, might have binocs. Of course, like in tanks, they'd share points with the MGer.
Also a great suggestion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
a few ideas in case they've not been said before:
  • a resupply is worth 3 points.
  • mg can only receive ammo when he requests it
  • you respawn with extra mg ammo until you "score" a resupply
  • if you have "scored" a resupply, you have to go to an ammo cache to resupply yourself with ammo to give to the mg...until you do so, you will not have any extra ammo to give, not even upon respawn.
  • once you reach an ammo cache, you will have that ammo until you "score" another resupply...so if you died before a resupply, you will still respawn with the extra ammo.
  • set a maximum amount of points a single player could get in a round from resupplying mgs. ex: 18 point max..... a player can resupply 3 times and get 9 points, aa player can resupply 6 times and get 18, a player could resupply 10 times and still only max out at 18 points

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • once you reach an ammo cache, you will have that ammo until you "score" another resupply...so if you died before a resupply, you will still respawn with the extra ammo.

That's too confusing for a lot of players, you need to remind yourself that most people will not read any manual and just get to playing right on.

Upvote 0
That's too confusing for a lot of players, you need to remind yourself that most people will not read any manual and just get to playing right on.

it's not really that difficult of an idea for people to learn quickly. the game could have it built in and perhaps there could be some sort of indicator in the "hud on demand" that would show them that they are in fact carrying extra mg ammo.

the reason why i propsed that they could keep ammo despite dying, was that you should still reward a player for completing a "task" such as getting more mg ammo by allowing him to respawn with that ammo if he dies. i'd rather see that then people respawning every time with fresh ammo.

Upvote 0
A lot of people in RO don't even know that resupply crates exist to begin with. Then having only resupplying something regardless of dying, while everything else gets back on a respawn isn't that logical.

Things should be consistent for a little bit, and easy to grasp. Finding out you only get new mg ammo when you go to a resupply point is not something most people would find out. And lay the connection between the two.
Heck most people will think that you would only be able to resupply an mg once during a game, and think that getting a new one at a resupply is rather a bug than a feature.

Upvote 0