• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

ads ingame (!) in CS 1.6 (3 page interview)

The game industry is currently one of the biggest there is, making more money than hollywood and the music industry put togeather, trust me, 20 million is peanuts compared to what they make on a title, as Boggs pointed out, the vast majority of games released by thease big puplishers (the same who are now going for the adds) will make a huge profit on release day alone! even if it cost 50 million to produce, hell, lets say 80 million!, the game will make a tidy profit in just a day on the shelves.

Thus, going with thease adds the way they do, its only greed, nothing else, they dont need them to fund themselves, the games themselves do that, in a BIG way! its purely a moneygrab at our expense.

Now if we, the consumers, actually got something out of it, like games at half price, continued development of the game (and done properly, with a big developer team funded by the adds, not just two guys who work weekends every 3 weeks), i would not be so hostile, but we are getting nothing! the fatcat publishers (the very same that are smothering all creativity in our games, and replacing it with profit margins and deadlines) are just lining their pockets some more, at our expense, and the small developers! who they will promtly buy out to kill any opposition.

Its as rotten as the music industry, we have to pay out of our arses, and the artists too, they are not making the money, even though they do all the work, the big labels are, and laughing all the way to the bank.

Upvote 0
i dont know what to say.
im not sure if this is true.
if it is. wow. i would like to study what effects a lack of advertising has had on your exsistance. i believe it would be fascinating.
Now if this is just bs, well you got me. What else can I say.
either way, bravo.

It's quite true, believe it or not I have no reason to lie on teh intarnetz :)

(since I don't know how to code in a quote without the handy 'quote' button)
"Grobut said - 'lots of words with a quote on top'"

I couldn't agree more. If it was smaller publishers looking to do in-game advertisers, the cries of 'games are so spensive! We need moneies!' would be easier to stomach. Right now, they're pure money grabs by publishing companies that have wads of cash, including Valve.

Upvote 0
Adware is one thing...let's just hope it doesn't turn into spyware, displaying ads based on what pages you've visited in the past or words typed into search engines. I'm sure many of us would freak out if suddenly there'd be an ad for David Hasselhoff-flavoured donkey-condoms popping up in the next Battlefield game :p

Upvote 0
I wouldn't mind billboard ads so much. But if I have to sit through a few adverts every time the map changes I won't be happy.

Its not just billboards, if you read through the interview, you'll find that its also on the scoreboard and in spectator mode.

Ofcourse, i could choose not to give a hoot, as i dont play CS, but that would be very shortsighted of me.

Afterburner said:
Unless the ads look out of place why does it matter?

First of all, its the principle of the thing.
You know why they are doing this? its because research shows that we have become so used to TV and billboard adds that they nolonger work, we are too critical of their message when seeing or reading them, and we dont belive a word they say.
So they are scrambling to find a new market, a more effective one.
And this is it, when emerged in a game, we loose our ability to be critical of an add, we are too buissy playing, but we see them.. its in our subconcious.

Second of all, what makes you think the adds wont look out of place? think about the future here! right now they are testing it (and us), and no doubt they will be smart enough to stay low on our radar for now.

But it wont stay that way, i dont belive that for a second, if they can pull it off, and make us as used to seeing adds in games as we are with the telly, then the floodgates are busted wide open for more and more aggressive and annoying adds in future games.

What would stop them? if people get used to the idea that when they buy a game, there will be adds in it, then its just a slow process of piling more and more on there, you start with a few billboards, then its on the scoreboards, then its while you load a map, next it'll be company logo's that pop up in your HUD every now and then, then it'll be posters all over the maps, animated adds, streaming text adds scrolling across your screen, popups, popups you have to click away, comercial breaks!

It'll happen slowly, but mark my words, if we dont put our foot down, it will happen! and games will be as ruined as telly.

Upvote 0
I agree with the previous poster.
I can easily visualize an over abundance of ads happening.
There is nothing stopping them from letterboxing and having 4 corner ads.
or even think further,"this healthpack brought to you by xyz drugs"
the potential is very large IMO.
some games are already forcing you to watch the opening commercials put in by the various creator/publisher.
If this is successful there may be companies starting up game creation divisions for no other means then money. then we get games like Big Rig or american chopper.

imagine getting scared in doom6 and immediately after the game pauses for a full commercial of stress relief medicine. There is nothing to stop this from happening. well except the consumers, and we know how that game goes.
(insert commercial here)

ah well.

Upvote 0
Don't really understand the fuss about it.
I mean, I can live with commercials on every other media out there, so why not in computer games?
I guess that it will be just like in the movies: Not stopping the whole affair like in TV, but subtle "product placement", so instead of a generic cellphone, the protagonist would use the latest incarnation of Motorolas phones etc.
Also, games that play in a modern era do have quite a lot billboards already. I could care less if they show generic, mimicked or real commercials.

So as long as it doesn't read out my browsing history, I am totally fine with in game ads. Heck, why is everybody so hostile when corporations want to make money? That is ALL they are about. Capitalism won the cold war, remember? ;)

Upvote 0
Doesnt bother me either tbh as long as its just advertising billboards and some items placed in the levels, however if it gets to the stage where its checking my browsing history or worse then it'll go straight in the bin.

Well tell me, how would it look to see a "Drink Pepsi" ad right slap in the middle of Stalingrad? Or a "Dr. Pepper" ad on the side of a streetcar?

All of the ingame ads so far use the ADWARE/SPYWARE/MALWARE approach. They throw the ads at you, spy on you to tailor the ads and halt the game if you try to stop the ads.

If it isn't nipped in the bud... you'll never stop it. EA & BF2142 comes to mind...

Upvote 0
[quote='[-project.rattus-]
So as long as it doesn't read out my browsing history, I am totally fine with in game ads. Heck, why is everybody so hostile when corporations want to make money? That is ALL they are about. Capitalism won the cold war, remember? ;)[/quote]

Corporations make money by selling a product people want. I do NOT want ads in my games. Therefore- I don't buy those products. Not complicated.

Upvote 0
Corporations make money by selling a product people want. I do NOT want ads in my games. Therefore- I don't buy those products. Not complicated.

Well, the add-area is a product that game developers sell to other customers... it doesn't make any difference for you if there are adds in game or not.

Upvote 0
Don't really understand the fuss about it.
I mean, I can live with commercials on every other media out there, so why not in computer games?
Are you serious?
Would you buy an audio cd which stops twice a track to cry out advertisements? No, you want the subtle way. Would you buy an audio cd which has a "buy coca cola"-song mixed into each track?

I know I wouldn

Upvote 0
Seriously how much does a ad that shows (just a simple picture) during a map change in the corner of the loading screen or a small ad at the bottom of the score board, even in a WW2 game?
Don't tell me that brakes immersion because just bringing up the score board is a immerion breaker and it won't get any worse for having a "drink pepsi" logo slaped up in one of the corners.

Also you can see it as getting games cheaper since the developement costs rise with every new game engine and the companys still want to make as much from each game as before so either they raise the price or bring in advertisements.

I see nothing wrong with ads as long as they don't scan my browsing habits (as many have stated earlier)

Upvote 0
Well, the add-area is a product that game developers sell to other customers... it doesn't make any difference for you if there are adds in game or not.

Because its IN the product I paid for. Not. Difficult.

And it isn't going to stay unobtrusive. Look at web ads. First you had banners. Then flashing/scrolling banners. Pop-ups. Pop-unders. Flash ads. Flash-ads with sound. Full-screen ads you have to watch before the real content appears. Etc.

Upvote 0