• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

ads ingame (!) in CS 1.6 (3 page interview)

Byte Me

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2006
Virginia, USA
In case you didn't feel that tremor through the internet caused by this interview, here it is again.

This is probably the most shocking news from Valve since TF2 was brought back from the "dead".

And I thought only EA could sink so low. So have at it everyone (ingame advertising that is), though don't go totally balistic, save those kinds of posts for the Steam forums :p. However, they might be overloaded at the moment, I bet the daily post count record has been shattered by at least 100,000.

My opinion: bad move for a Valve (obviously) and a sad day in gaming history because it looks like ingame adversting might catch on. Though this could totally fail and blow up in Valve's face (hope it does). Only time will tell. By the way, for anyone who has BF 2042, whats your take on those ads? Is EA even going to try to do that in another one of their games?

Why is it so bad with ingame ads?

Games become more and more costly to develope for each generation so why not finance some of it by allowing ads? Cheaper games for us all and specially game in modern enviroment or not a distant future enviroment take no harm from this. Seeing a billboard ingame with a Pepsi or Coca Cola logo is not that different from going outside IRL.

Upvote 0
I for one see the end of competitive CS 1.6, all competitive 1.6ers complain about any change (large or small). This is probably going to be the straw that breaks the proverbial camel's back and I don't even know how the leagues are taking the news, doubt it was received well. Though I could care less about that, if I'm not having fun then I'm not going to play the game and practicing 2 hours or more everyday is not my idea of fun.

The thing thats gets me is Valve != poor and on the verge of collapse. They could bleed money for 5 years on crack and still not be in any financial trouble.
As another example of ways that an advertising model may benefit the CS community, for a long time we’ve looked for new ways to let mod authors make money. Funding a game development project is currently a chicken and egg problem — you can’t get funding without having already built a great product, and you can’t build something great without money in the bank. If this experiment with advertising in CS 1.6 is successful, it may turn out that we’re able to help the next round of successful mods get off the ground because of ad revenue.
Mods are already selling out left and right, if a mod used ingames ads I would not buy it. Even if it was Natural Selection or DoD 1.3: source, I would NOT buy it for that specific reason. I could care less if it won every video game award there was, nothing on this Earth will make me buy a game with ingame ads (nope not even if it was Duke Nukem Forever). Btw Valve, games get funding for having a good idea or at least one that will sell :rolleyes:. And most half-life mods that have sold out went to Valve, which funded their release so I really don't understand what the frack they are talking about.
PermenentMarker
I simply do not understand why dont they just throw them in CS:S

Or maybe the intend to have cs 1.6 users go to Source...
And after that is done throw the adds on the source version... lol :D
I truly think thats what Valve is trying to do, they must be dead set on killing of 1.6. I think the whining broke them and they snapped, that or drugs... lots of drugs.

Tak
Thanks for the heads up. Promptly deleted CS 1.6 from my steam list, as I will do every game they put this **** in.
lol it hasn't come out yet, talk about jumping the gun :p. Enjoy what you can while it lasts I say.

Edit:
Why is it so bad with ingame ads?
So far the games with ingame ads are from companies with plenty of money and sell for $50 to $60, there is no way they are hurting financially. If anything that company will lose more money from customers they just alienated through their greedy ways (customers like me) then they gain from ad revenue.
Games become more and more costly to develope for each generation so why not finance some of it by allowing ads? Cheaper games for us all and specially game in modern enviroment or not a distant future enviroment take no harm from this. Seeing a billboard ingame with a Pepsi or Coca Cola logo is not that different from going outside IRL.
In CS: S it would make sense since I would prefer a coke cola vending machine over the fake brand they have now. And the PC objects already look like dell's, might as well put the name on them. Things like that are ok because they add to the atmosphere not like some giant out of place billboard that only distracts you from playing. However, CS 1.6 has nothing like the vending machines that are in CS: S, the only place they can put stuff is on walls, floors, and ceilings. Besides it will take about 5 minutes for custom maps like de_dust2NoAds to come out anyway so I don't think Valve will be able to pull this off, at least not without a black eye.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Because I just don't support the idea. If there was some benefit to the user (which there is none), then I would be more inclined to get behind it. As it stands now, it's purely a money-grab, period. And to put it in an already existing product is just low. If they want the program on a new product, fine. I just won't buy that product. Just like I didn't (and won't) buy the new Battlefield.

And I don't play much CS, and have played 1.6 all of twice (maybe), so I'm not really losing anything. It was more just an act of protest than anything else ;)

Upvote 0
You must abhor browsing the net, reading the paper/magazines, watching TV, riding in a car... etc, etc. :)

Actually, you're not far off from the truth ;)

I stick to sites I know or that have been recommended to me by a friend. The only TV I watch is PBS (though I made an exception for Jericho, I dug that ****!). Usually if friends say a TV series or something was good, I'll wait and rent it out and just watch it that way, skipping the adverts in the beginning that is. The only radio I listen to is NPR, and make music choices based on recommendations by other people. I don't read magazines.

Pretty much, I'm a terrible consumer from the perspective of a company looking to make a sale :)

Upvote 0
Actually, you're not far off from the truth ;)

I stick to sites I know or that have been recommended to me by a friend. The only TV I watch is PBS (though I made an exception for Jericho, I dug that ****!). Usually if friends say a TV series or something was good, I'll wait and rent it out and just watch it that way, skipping the adverts in the beginning that is. The only radio I listen to is NPR, and make music choices based on recommendations by other people. I don't read magazines.

Pretty much, I'm a terrible consumer from the perspective of a company looking to make a sale :)

i dont know what to say.
im not sure if this is true.
if it is. wow. i would like to study what effects a lack of advertising has had on your exsistance. i believe it would be fascinating.
Now if this is just bs, well you got me. What else can I say.
either way, bravo.

Upvote 0
Unless its implemented in a way that would take away from the game (like pop-up adds annoy ones browsing habits) then yes, that would be unfortunate.

However, games are getting more expensive to produce in the first place, (not that you wont find excellent games put out by small publishers for a meager budget), and if the developers want to suplement their profit margin, go for it.

This is capatilism at its best, love it or hate it... you got to live with it.

Shadehunter

Upvote 0
We've had a large discussion abot this before. In the BF2142 thread a while ago.

If a poorly funded developer puts ads in their game to support themselves, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But it's only the big companies who are doing it. Why? Don't they have enough money? They're merely trying to maximise the amount they can squeeze out of gamers.

EDIT: And I wouldn't mind as much if these big publishers actually took risks on small developers, original titles etc but they don't.

Last edited:
Upvote 0