• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

ads ingame (!) in CS 1.6 (3 page interview)

Also you can see it as getting games cheaper since the developement costs rise with every new game engine and the companys still want to make as much from each game as before so either they raise the price or bring in advertisements.

Sorry, but that's a bull**** argument. The games that DO cost multi-million dollars are extrememly hyped. At least a quarter of their production budget is advertising. Halo 2, for example. Sure, it may have cost 25 million USD to make, but the day one sales for Halo 2 were 125 million. One hundred million dollars profit, first day.

There is no excuse for adds to be in game with 'cost' as a decider.

Upvote 0
Fact is big publishers don't need "extra" money to fund their games.
Just like TV channels you pay for don't need ads every 3 minutes.

I'm sick and tired of everything I do being tainted with the same **** that I don't want to hear about.
I don't want a new car
I don't want a new TV
I don't want a new computer
I don't want new clothes
I don't want a new razor
I don't want to wear "fragrance"
I don't want to see your models perfectly sculpted body & chiseled jaw

LEAVE ME ALONE FFS!!!!

Upvote 0
If anything making games is either costing the same or is getting cheaper, despite the fact that they the look better and can contain a lot more content then games a decade ago. Why? Because game engines are getting easier to work with. Look at UE3, that engine has taken a off a lot of the work load that which is then put back into making the game. Also, because these newer game engines are doing this, and since no one really wants to re-invent the wheel, other game companies are just leasing these game engines and saving a bundle by simply modifying them to suit their needs (after TW makes it's UE3 game do you really think they will even bother to make their own game engine? Hell no they would lease UE3.5, UE4, or whoever had the engine that they wanted). The gaming industry is making money growing, not falling on hard times and about to go bankrupt.

Ads ingame are not needed. I think Valve moved in this direction to force people to move to Source, the Half-Life community is always stuck in the past ("I want WON back!"). So they simply played the card that would make the CS 1.6 community fold. I believe this new ad supported version of CS 1.6 will be free to anyone that owns any game availible on steam (so even if you bought Dark Messiah, you could play CS 1.6). It will most likely end there, Valve wants players to support CS: S so there is pretty much a 100% chance they wont even think about putting ads in it till CS 2 is being sold (if the planned ads for CS 1.6 even work, hard to get advertisements in a game no one plays).

Upvote 0
I'm highly against advertisements in games.

I think Grobut had a great point in that this is just opening a door for further ad encroachment - something that once you let start, only gets much worse.

These companies arent relying on the proceeds in order to release games or to stay afloat as a company. It's pure profit for them.. so to say its going to help them make better games or release them faster or whatever is just cover up verbiage. The player gains nothing from having ads in game. The developers, the artists etc dont all of a sudden become twice as skilled and are able to crank out deeper content because of ad revenue. They just have fancier stuff to go home to.

It seems like alot of people are apathetic towards ads, but I personally am sick and tired of this inbred consumerism that is rampant in the world. You dont exist purely to purchase things - you are not the products you buy. This industry being bigger than movies and music is the perfect shooting gallery for advertisement firms because its ripe with young product purchasing marks who identify themselves with what they buy - so you cant blame them for seeing the obvious.

Having ads in the splash screen as the game is loaded has been happening for a long time, but now even in the movie theatres they have car commercials before the movie... I think both of these examples are over the top. If we keep taking the 'I dont mind ads at all' attitude, then someday every little 5 inch space that at some point in the day has a set of eyeballs briefly pass by it, will be up for sale. Can you imagine going to the library one day and there being a SoBe ad on the friggin doorknob. Even at bars - I cant take a damn piss without 15 different companies trying to get into my wallet. It's disgusting.

It comes to the point that you cant even think for yourself because everywhere you look you are intaking some flashy product slogan. That sounds crazy to us older free thinking adults, but for the average kids growing up these days - sometimes I wonder if they even know how to contemplate life without product ads.

It is up to us as the end users to either support this practice or give a resounding NO by not buying into it.

NO ADS IN GAMES

Upvote 0
Sorry I had to correct your post in my qoute so it reflects the trouth.

Well most people tend to agree (no official word on it tough) that Doom 3 was more a tech demo of the new engine and it's capabilities since ID software normally makes more money from engine licensing then games.

Also was the price difference that big between the both? What I remember from here in sweden Doom3 was about 370 sek and HL2(with CSS) about 420 sek that is ~50 sek difference that is about €5 (I might be wrong on the prices tough so don't take my word on it)
What

Last edited:
Upvote 0