• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Adrenaline Boost

Amerikaner

Nov 23, 2005
For lack of anything better right now Im going to call it an adrenaline boost. When a nade comes at you, satchel, or any imminent death you should be able to sprint away for a short time regardless of your stamina bar. The game should somehow recognize this imminent threat and let you dodge the danger with a boost of energy. Theres no way you would see a nade at your feet and say "oh damn, too tired to run away, cant do it, oh well" and then blow up. No matter how tired you are you'll get the hell out of dodge.

In RO, your player becomes too tired to run after 17 seconds. I specifically remember sprinting a half mile when I was in high school, which took me well over two minutes. Now you can make the argument that soldiers were carrying too much gear and were underfed and blah blah blah... But the truth is that they don't carry anything that's unnecessary when they go in to combat. Furthermore, I was never as athletic as a trained soldier, so 17 seconds is just sad.

So, with that in mind, either greatly increase the time it takes to lose your breath, or just get rid of the silly stamina effects altogether.

Upvote 0
Avenger said:
In RO, your player becomes too tired to run after 17 seconds. I specifically remember sprinting a half mile when I was in high school, which took me well over two minutes. Now you can make the argument that soldiers were carrying too much gear and were underfed and blah blah blah... But the truth is that they don't carry anything that's unnecessary when they go in to combat. Furthermore, I was never as athletic as a trained soldier, so 17 seconds is just sad.

So, with that in mind, either greatly increase the time it takes to lose your breath, or just get rid of the silly stamina effects altogether.

I find that a pretty rediculous comparison.

You in complete athletic gear vs. a soldier in combat gear? Please!

Including shoes, you've got MAYBE 2 lbs of excess weight other than yourself. Soldiers have that much just in boots! Think about it!

(These are just estimations so I'm most likely wrong)
Helmet = 5lbs
Pants and tunic = 2lbs
Boots = 3lbs
Ammunition = 5lbs
Grenades = 3lbs
Rifle = 15lbs
Gas Mask = 2lbs
MG Ammo = 5lbs

Total = 45bs (plus there is probably more that I'm leaving out)

There are worlds more that you've also leaving out besides the fact that soldiers will have 20 times the gear than you, yes they are:

under fed
under slept
over marched
stressed
dealing with adverse weather conditions
possibly injured
possibly wounded
possibly sick
etc...

I'd say that your average rifleman could sprint half a mile if they were gear-less, well-fed from mom's home cooking, generally healthy, and was able to get 6+ hours of sleep in a bed. You gotta remember that these soldiers have been dealing with these conditions for months and years and they are not magically teleported from Germany to the front healthy, rested and ready to rock and roll.

I think it's fair that 17 seconds of sprint is fair considering the conditions they were faced to bear with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The problem with a system like that Amerikaner is implimentation. How will the game know you see that grenade in a bush, or in a room you're about to enter. Often you get killed by things you don't see and I think it would be extremely difficult to get a system working that actually works correctly.

I think the sprinting time is more than reasonable considering players are constantly jogging around as their default speed.

Upvote 0
Avenger said:

i dont want people to sprint around on the maps for 2 whole minutes man, that would suck ass, i think its fine the way it is now

Upvote 0
D3terioNation said:
@ Torpedo

LoL I think your estimations are a tad off :p but good try nontheless!

Plus I hate imperial, havent guys swopped over to metric yet? :rolleyes:

Yeah, I was way low!

Check out this link for average combat loads for a U.S. Infantryman.
http://www.45thdivision.org/Pictures/General_Knowlege/combatload.htm

82.02 lbs! (37.2036462 kilograms... take that D3terioNation! :D )

Granted I think the Common Clothing is a bit over exagerated... But still, sprinting in over 50lbs of gear is going to be HARD.

Upvote 0
I'm ok with the Stamina Boost in the OP if there is a random chance (say, 1%) that instead of getting a boost, your avatar panics and freezes up, and you can't move at all...

:)

ahahaha *smiles*

average combat loads for a U.S. Infantryman.

They didnt carry near that much in WWII. Especially after being out in the field for months. They had wagons, pack animals, trucks, and prisoners to carry/pull all of the heavy gear. Modern day US soldiers and WWII German/Russian soldiers, especially in terms of how much they actively carry(ied) into battle, is not a good comparison. Though I do see Amerikaners point.. unless I was suffering from malnourishment, no sleep, typhus, dysentery and a whole slew of other possible ailments... I would somehow find the strength to at least make an effort, regardless of being out of breath, to get myself out of harms way. But the real question remains, like DrGuppy mentioned, how do you implement this?

I'm not sure it's something needed either... as Murphy pointed out. You should probably work harder to avoid those situations. Its not always possible to do so, but for the most part, it is.

Upvote 0
Amerikaner said:
For lack of anything better right now Im going to call it an adrenaline boost. When a nade comes at you, satchel, or any imminent death you should be able to sprint away for a short time regardless of your stamina bar. The game should somehow recognize this imminent threat and let you dodge the danger with a boost of energy. Theres no way you would see a nade at your feet and say "oh damn, too tired to run away, cant do it, oh well" and then blow up. No matter how tired you are you'll get the hell out of dodge.
I would prefer a different stamina system: you should be able to sprint at all times (let's be honest, if you're chased by an angry pitbull you RUN your ass off, regardless of how tired you are). BUT, the weapon sway should become heavily affected.

So basically, you sprint and at the point where you currently start getting tired and walk, you can continue to sprint. You still hear the "heavy breathing" sound of course. Then when you stop and raise your sights, there is HEAVY sway. You'll have a hard time hitting anyone beyond medium range. This way, continuosly sprinting is penalized. Resting yourself (or your rifle) for like 10 to 20 seconds or so gets rid of the sway.

What do you think? I have to add that this idea was first coined by Rattus in the old forums.

By the way, I think the "heavy breathing" sound should sound a bit more like this

If you run your ass off, your breathing sounds like that!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another thing to take into consideration, maybe: the weather of the map you're playing in. I spent my day on the water today and it was insanely hot. I was so tired at the end of the day. This could be implemented in RO: make it so that soldiers run slightly slower in hot summer maps. Not in the beginning of the sprint (after all, running from grenades should still be fast), but after like 30 seconds of sprinting your avatar starts to run slightly slower than on colder maps.

Really, I don't want to imagine how soldiers must've felt in those uniforms on hot summer days!

EDIT: do we really need the little guy in the left of the screen? Audio cues are enough for "stamina feedback".

Last edited:
Upvote 0