• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Additional In-Game Skills (Mutations) For More Variety In Gameplay [Screenshot Included]

afkybnds

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 20, 2021
I love the game but i get the feeling that i'm always doing the same things every match, i pick a class and i get my favorite weapons for the class and that's it. I have a suggestion to spice up the gameplay a bit. Imagine having a separate skill pool independent of your class. And it contains skills like;

"+50% more primary weapon ammo reserve, -50% less secondary ammo reserve"
"Get a 20% sprint boost if you're under 50% HP"
"Healing Syringe cooldown is 25% longer but it heals 50% more"
"Fire rate of all weapons are 25% faster, reloads are 15% slower"
"Melee weapon attack speed is 50% faster when you have no armor"
"Ammo crates give you 100% more ammo, but the total ammo reserve is lowered by 35%"
"100% more HP limit but the armor limit is lowered by 50%"
"Headshot kills heal you for 5HP, with a 2 second delay"
"Your accuracy is perfect during zed time, but 10% lower when not in zed time"

20210120232104_1.jpg

For every two waves cleared, you get to choose one of 2 random skill choices at the trader for no cost. If you play a 4 wave game, you get 2 skills, if you play 10 waves you get 5 skills, for example.

I think the randomness and the ability to choose one of two choices (or not picking any of them) would significantly change the gameplay, and you can kinda build your character and pick weapons according to your build, or change your class if your skills are built for a specific class.

The reason why these skills have positive and negative effects is because they aren't meant to be replacement for main class perks, they are simply a tool to change your game a bit, and you can pass on them if you don't like the negatives.

---

What do you think about this idea ?

*I'm aware this is a huge change and probably won't be implemented, but if there will be a KF3, i would love to see something like this. Along with deep weapon customization*

Reactions: Humam2104
Eeeeh... I believe it COULD be interesting, but only if they are actually in an independent game mode. As in a classless, somewhat "roguelike" affair. Otherwise, even with the downsides, it would simply be too good to have both your perk skills AND extra bonus ones. Even more so (obviously) if you have a highly-leveled perk at hands. Some would be downright dirty : a zerk or medic with 100% more HP, or extra healing with the syringe would be disgustingly OP. Headshot kills healing you would make the 'slinger unkillable. Melee weapon attack speed being better without armor is pretty much an update for the zerk etc. I also believe getting a new skill every 5 waves would be far more balanced... Otherwise you'd become nearly unkillable at wave 10. Let alone if you're playing Endless.

The more I talk about it (because it's not the first time I ponder such an idea), the more I think it would be neat to rework the Endless game mode to feel truly different, but making you start with next to nothing (maybe some passive, tied to the perks?) and then throwing random stuff at you (enemies, items, maybe even map layouts) and you need to survive as long as possible. If you die, you're back to square one... So just like a roguelike basically.

But perks are pretty much the spice of Killing Floor. They've been there since the very beginning. And what I'm proposing could pretty much be its own new game ! Maybe a mutator is a safer bet.

Reactions: afkybnds
Upvote 0