• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

About weapon sounds...

Gladius

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 4, 2011
I don't like the gunshot sound design overall. The sounds are synthetic and just over the top.

TWI knows how to make good gunsounds. In RO2 there are some of the best sounds in gaming history. Now in KF2 they try to make the sounds bigger than life, super powerful but they are mostly so far away from how real guns sound that it's a total immersion breaker for me.

Take the MP5 for example. A real 9mm doesn't sound that weak that it would be necessary to make something that much bigger than life. EBR sounds like a anti-tank rifle on a valley range. The new SCAR sound is awful. The old SCAR sound was one of the very few sounds that were decent. Now they turned it towards this big boom with that artificial metallic ending like the medic guns. I always hoped the medic guns had work in progress sounds that get replaced at some point by something less synthetic and unrealistic but now it turns out that this artificial design is the actual philosophy for this game.

I want gun sounds that actually sound like guns.

Actually, I hated the previous SCAR sound, it was like driving a nail into wood. The new one is ... meh, tolerable, but has a huuuuuge difference in sound while using auto and single shots, it sounds like two totally different guns.

I agree that new commando weapon sounds feel over the top and quite unnatural, but I guess that's still an improvement over the last batch.

As for the smg's, well, I don't mind them much. I guess I'm conditioned by modern games to expect smgs to sound much softer than AR's, even though I know this is not very accurate.

And the medic guns shouldn't sound like plastic. Caseless ammo doesn't produce much different sound than regular one, it's still an equally powerful explosion of a propellant.

Also, there's still unresolved case of hunting shotty - its sound is just laughable.

Upvote 0
vealck;n2266437 said:
Actually, I hated the previous SCAR sound, it was like driving a nail into wood.
Well, thats actually pretty much how real guns sound, when you leave aside hall effects and secondary sounds from hitting the target. I absolutely dislike these kind of sounds where you hear that the sound designer implemented the secondary sound from hitting a steel target. It's just like someone browsed youtube, took a video from someone shooting steel at 25 meters indoors and then pumped that up in his editing software.

Upvote 0
Gladius;n2266439 said:
Here is the MP5 sound: http://sendvid.com/age45u6k

Burst fire and full auto sound like different guns but both of them doesn't sound like anything near an actual MP5.

i noticed that they sound different too, but i kind of like both, i'm ok with them not being real as long as i can enjoy them, however i still have mixed feelings with some of them, mostly the new commando sounds, it still quite dependant on what you hear them on, i'm not saying you need more expensive hardware by any means, it just sounds different with phones or speakers or different soundcard, not completely different, but there is some variation. so maybe when TWI test it, it soiunds fine to them, to me some of them sound kind of muffled and "detached".

Upvote 0
Gladius;n2266439 said:
Here is the MP5 sound: http://sendvid.com/age45u6k

Burst fire and full auto sound like different guns but both of them doesn't sound like anything near an actual MP5.

Good catch on the burst fire sounding different. That was actually a bug on my end. It will be much improved in a future update. Thanks! It is an actual MP5 we recorded recently. We pump things up a bit to match the KF2 tone.

Reactions: Fr0stPh03niX
Upvote 0
I do like some of the new sounds, some not so much. I do know that the SMG sounds for example are quite poppy but I do enjoy them! The MP5 fits to me, it's got a distinct characteristic whilst being loud enough to actually be louder than most other things on the screen (this was a problem with sound early on, gun next to your head being drowned out by a cyst moan).

Honestly I can live with additions to the sounds. Before and after the final 9mm sound changes I was playing some other games with many different sounds and I honestly thought KF2 could do with some slight additions to the sounds! It really adds distinction among otherwise similar sounding weapons.

Upvote 0
[TW said:
Mark;n2266575]

Good catch on the burst fire sounding different. That was actually a bug on my end. It will be much improved in a future update. Thanks! It is an actual MP5 we recorded recently. We pump things up a bit to match the KF2 tone.
I know how different gun sound recordings can turn out. But this MP5 sounds so muffled that it doesn't sound anymore like an 9mm. Maybe
you can pitch up the higher frequencies a bit? Dunno how to describe it, just make it sound more real: https://youtu.be/AZ-Ure4W8sE?t=353

Upvote 0
The single fire (which is the burst, we accurately fire sounds with rounds) was too loud and had too much bottom. I had an old file in the single shot. I am working on a "how we make gun sounds" post. I hope to have it up soon. I am always interested in how the sounds are received by the community. Every set of headphones and speakers are different. It is also a constant balance between what sounds real and what feels good.

Reactions: Tagasaki
Upvote 0
[TW said:
Mark;n2266619]The single fire (which is the burst, we accurately fire sounds with rounds) was too loud and had too much bottom. I had an old file in the single shot. I am working on a "how we make gun sounds" post. I hope to have it up soon. I am always interested in how the sounds are received by the community. Every set of headphones and speakers are different. It is also a constant balance between what sounds real and what feels good.

Thank you, i can testify to that, the game sounds a bit better to me with a 5.1 mid range home theater than with my phones (sennheiser 363d) which should be higher quality. and the feel vary whenever i change 1 piece in the chain.

To me sound is probably one of two factors that make me stay on a game after the initial time, so i'm quite interested in providing as much feedback as possible, i understand the need to make it a balance between realism and feel.

One thing that i'd really like to see but dont know if it's possible is a separate slider for guns and other effects volume, depending on hardware configuration sometimes the balance sounds about right, but on different headphones for example gun sounds can be overwhelmed by ambient sounds or others. Thanks for the great work, really enjoying the beta.

Upvote 0
I keep toying with the idea of adding sliders for each Sub Group: Guns, Zeds, Ambient, Music, VO. Maybe under an "advanced audio" tab. I can't get that implemented in the short term, but it seems like a good idea for the future. I have also gone back and forth on the idea of some basic settings for dynamic range; how hard we are squishing the mix. A few games have done it and it seems useful. All that being said, the game needs a solid few weeks of mixing. It is on the docket in the near future. I try to go between a few pair of headphones, studio monitors, and a consumer system to find the sweet spot. Thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: Tagasaki
Upvote 0
[TW said:
Mark;n2266631]I keep toying with the idea of adding sliders for each Sub Group: Guns, Zeds, Ambient, Music, VO. Maybe under an "advanced audio" tab. I am sure I can't get that implemented in the short term, but it seems like a good idea for the future. I have also gone back and forth on the idea of some basic setting for dynamic range; how hard we are squishing the mix. A few game have done it and it seems useful. All that being said, the game needs a good few weeks of mixing. It is on the docket in the near future. I try to go between a few pair of headphones, studio monitors, and a consumer system to find the sweet spot. Thanks for the feedback.

That would be greatly apretiated by some of us, i'd love to see that implemented, i understand it could take time or there are other priorities. Even making if possible in an ini for testing could be good. Thanks you for sharing what you are doing.

Upvote 0
[TW said:
Mark;n2266631]I keep toying with the idea of adding sliders for each Sub Group: Guns, Zeds, Ambient, Music, VO. Maybe under an "advanced audio" tab. I am sure I can't get that implemented in the short term, but it seems like a good idea for the future. I have also gone back and forth on the idea of some basic setting for dynamic range; how hard we are squishing the mix. A few game have done it and it seems useful. All that being said, the game needs a good few weeks of mixing. It is on the docket in the near future. I try to go between a few pair of headphones, studio monitors, and a consumer system to find the sweet spot. Thanks for the feedback.

Sounds like a lot of work! I really like the new gun sounds through my headphones and the new ui sounds are great. Keep up the good work, you'll find something everybody likes soon I'm sure.

Upvote 0
[TW said:
Mark;n2266619]The single fire (which is the burst, we accurately fire sounds with rounds) was too loud and had too much bottom. I had an old file in the single shot. I am working on a "how we make gun sounds" post. I hope to have it up soon. I am always interested in how the sounds are received by the community. Every set of headphones and speakers are different. It is also a constant balance between what sounds real and what feels good.
Oooh, that'd be very interesting, looking forward to that :) .

Upvote 0