• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

About the MKB42

I think this is the opinion of many or most RO fans. However, keep in mind that Tripwire is providing the platform and all the equipment for the game. It will be the mappers over the next years that will create the detailed historical maps with correct weapon loadouts.
It will just take time.
Probably right. I'm trying to remain philosophical about it, as it makes absolute sense to get the core game working before worrying about balance issues, but every time I pick up the thing in-game it feels like cheating and trying to hold a line against a wave of these things rarely works out favourably. Although recently there are fewer MBks chattering away out there, but I suspect that's because player numbers have dropped and this is/was the favoured weapon of the 'casual player'* (by design).

* EDIT: No slight intended to any casual players out there, honestly. All I'm saying is that casual players do tend to take the path of least resistance in a game and the MBk facilitates this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think this is the opinion of many or most RO fans. However, keep in mind that Tripwire is providing the platform and all the equipment for the game. It will be the mappers over the next years that will create the detailed historical maps with correct weapon loadouts.
It will just take time.

That is indeed the way to look at it. Unreal Tournament was a pretty crappy game IMHO, but the engine gave us so much more, including RO. This game is a base model. It's the optional extras that will make it into exactly what you want. The realism guys will have ultra realistic maps and mods, but they will have less people to play against. If they don't mind that, then they will be able to have the game they want.

It's 2 weeks since release FFS. This isn't some 12 month lifespan console game where the devs are making the next one before they have released the current one. It isn't locked down so the only people who can change it, can charge you for it.

Of course there are some minor and some MAJOR issues (I don't like there being so many MkB's but that doesn't mean I can't handle it) but the devs have barely had time to even hear all the complaints let alone do anything about them. At this point they are too busy fixing the bugs that people aren't even talking about because they are clearly game breaking bugs.

If we want the bugs fixed, give the devs time to do it. Screaming at them will not change a thing. I'm not saying get used to it the way it is, I'm saying deal with it for now, rather than just ranting about how stuffed it is.

If nothing has changed in a month or two, then you can start screaming with at least some justification. The game was released early either because of the fans demanding it (that's why devs shouldn't always listen to fans ) or because TWI was in need of funds to get it completed.

But once they did that, they had painted a target on their chests. A lot of RO1 fans were champing at the bit waiting for their chance to start complaining about the lack of realism or whatever. They never even gave the game a chance. I saw the first complaints within a day of release, and every single one of them was bollocks. Scroll back through the forum and watch as every gun in the game went from being overpowered to underpowered to overpowered several times over a few days as people got used to the realistic mechanics.

When everyone discovered the MkB, everyone had one. Now they are nowhere near as common because players have learned how to deal with it. I've got a screenshot of me running into a room with the DP-28 and finding a MkB42 guy camped behind a plant shooting at me.

I hip shot him and killed him while he sprayed the wall behind me. Never even scratched me. The gun is seriously not that good. In fact it's pretty crap compared to the other options. It wasn't made to be a better rifle or a better SMG, it was made to be halfway in between, so not as good at either role as the weapons specifically designed for the task.

Two days ago, I thought the MkB42 was devastating, not from personal experience, but from the hype on the forum. I figured I must be better than those guys, cause they never really seemed that threatening. After I tried it for a round or two I could see what it was capable of, and adjusted my tactics to suit. No problem. The people who use them are usually pray and spray types, and I can take them down pretty easy no matter what weapon they use. So can anyone that uses some simple tactics to make the enemy's aim less effective.

I will say this though, if they are going to change the weapon mixes in any way, they should do it, then do a complete stats wipe. Hell they should do a stats wipe anyway to clear out all the crap, but don't do it until after the base classes have been set in stone.

It seems to me that the realism guys know that their version of the game isn't very popular (I'm one of them so don't assume I just don't like realism) and so if they have to play on modded servers then they won't have anyone to play with, so they are trying to force everyone to play the game they like, hoping that won't just drive them all away.

I prefer the other option. Give them the tacticool guns they want but make them realistic and teach these casual players that what looks cool isn't always effective. Eventually, in fact it's already happening, fewer and fewer people will use them.

I am willing to bet that most of the people using the MkB42 in game right now are the people complaining about it. Like me they heard the hype, and went and tried it out themselves. They run around spraying each other for awhile then come and complain about how what they just did is ruining the game.

I saw one guy in game constantly going on and on about how the MkB was overpowered and ruining the game and he was practically the only person using it!

One more thing. People forget that release day was the end of a very long and hard slog for the devs. They were racing to meet the deadline and satisfy the fans and dealing with issues that they couldn't even find themselves because of limited testing resources. They were working their guts out for weeks or months before release. They deserve a two week break at least, if only to clear their minds and let them approach the problems with a fresh, less stressed, mindset. People work better when they are not under stress, so complaining like this only makes it worse.

Have patience. The game is not going anywhere. If you have already paid for it, then you have nothing to lose by being patient, and everything to gain.

Last edited:
Upvote 0