• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

About the M99 nerf.

bogospawn

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2010
Planet Earth
Why does everyone hate it? Sure, most people expected a damage nerf and yet I find this one more appropriate IMHO.

Now it's harder to obtain ammunition because of its price and that was a problem in the first place: SS running around with a devastating sniper and about 30 bullets in it. Now you get less ammo and really depend on your team. Sure, its frustrating to use your 9mm all the time while your team has all the fun, but if this weapon got a damage nerf, everyone would just use the xbow.

If you still think this weapon has been nerfed too much, TWI could make it weight less so you can carry an mk or a revolver.

I think the current nerf is perfect. The vast majority of people who complained about it being OP were mainly referring to its usage on Hell on Earth. (Myself included)

It's still very affordable on Hard and lower since so much money gets thrown at you by the game, it's pretty easy to afford on Suicidal as well if the team cooperates. It can be funded on HoE but if a team is good enough to swing that much money they probably don't need it in the first place.

Aside from that, you don't HAVE to buy all that ammo requiring $5000 after the gun is bought, so the price tag on bullets really only gets it out of the waves on HoE, people can still easily have their noob cannon for the patriarch without much hassle. Everyone should be happy.

Upvote 0
My main contention is that the gun has become worthless offperk due to the high price of ammunition.

I never rolled with the M99 onperk ingame as I found it boring, even off perk the bodyshot stuns felt cheap, but having the ability to support your sharpshooter while having to sacrifice all that weight was a lot of fun.

Upvote 0
I think it's good that it's awful offperk, now. It's a very specialized weapon which never should have been very good offperk.

This nerf is better than no nerf, but it's a bit too extreme, and doesn't nerf the things that would have been most suitable to nerf, I think.

Also, the super-expensive ammo greatly encourages the old "replace instead of refill" technique, if you have 0-3 rounds. You save almost 1000 dosh, replacing from 0, compared to refilling.

My proposition for the M99:
-18 round ammo reserve
-No reload bonus, or at least halved
-100 dosh ammo
-3 free rounds with purchase
-this doesn't matter much, but if the shotguns' recoil pushes players backwards, a .50 certainly should

Last edited:
Upvote 0
at $250 a shot. I would expect to kill everything but the patriarch with a single Head shot. I could only do it 25 times a round and I would be happy with it. You can be a highly skilled KF player. On HOE with just a gimped (reduced Head Shot damage ) 9mm and a Nerfed+gimped Barrett M99, you will die. Team work or not.

The sharp shooter is still apart of the "OP" witch hunt. The Sharp Shooter got the perk changed(not a bad one IMO), all the weapons "balanced" and "rebalanced" just in case you were still playing the perk. All it accomplished was making people hit the head better or die trying. The, kf forums after it communally "loved" the Sharp Shooter , felt that maybe it went a little too far.

Enter the M99. The Sniper Rifle of Champions :p!! All those poor sharp shooters that stuck with their perk finally got a properly scoped rifle. Not a silly wooden stick launcher that defies the laws of physics with its infinite penetration. No sir. A real weapon that can decimate a target. The finger of god!

Once again the forum community went after the Sharp Shooter and TWI caved in and made a poorly thought out balance. So you have a weakened ANTI MATERIAL aka hand held :IS2: rifle, that costs $5000 to fill for a few shots. (might as well play demo) It is now inferior to the xbow in every way possible. The magic stick launcher gets a buff and becomes beastly.

As far as rifle selection the SS has a choice between the LAR(fantastic weapon) , the m14 (misaligned iron sights) and the M99. So that's really a choice between being effective for the entire round (literally any SS load out) or get the M99 and be broke while awaiting death:p.

Sorry for the rant. I will adapt and get over it. Just like before. :eek:

Upvote 0
This nerf is just great.

The only other way of fixing M99 I could think of, would be deleting it from the game altogether.

I'm with you. 1 shotting scrakes and 2 shotting fleshpounds from super far away with infinite pentration turned HoE into hard on earth.

All the noobs who liked it because now they could beat HoE kept saying 'don't like it? don't use it' and now if they still want to use it on HoE, it requires a good number of team mates to come into agreement with it's use and fund the sharpshooter for ammunition.

There were also people who liked it and only played on difficulties on hard or under, which money is NOT hard to come by. It's still a very viable weapon on hard or lower difficulties even with the ammunition cost increase.

I think TWI did the right thing keeping the m99 functioning exactly the same for people who liked it, but restricted it's use from turning every HoE game into a hard game unless the whole team agrees that's what they want.

Upvote 0
It was just an easy option to increase the cost of ammo I suppose? boxes still give 2 bullets so getting as many of those as possible is still good.

I'd say it was balanced by now, with an organised team it's still good on Suicidal and Hell on Earth.

Although they didn't need to make it so extreme, they could've reduced ammo a bit and rose the cost but oh well I prefer the bow anyway.

Upvote 0
I'm with you. 1 shotting scrakes and 2 shotting fleshpounds from super far away with infinite pentration turned HoE into hard on earth.

All the noobs who liked it because now they could beat HoE kept saying 'don't like it? don't use it' and now if they still want to use it on HoE, it requires a good number of team mates to come into agreement with it's use and fund the sharpshooter for ammunition.

There were also people who liked it and only played on difficulties on hard or under, which money is NOT hard to come by. It's still a very viable weapon on hard or lower difficulties even with the ammunition cost increase.

I think TWI did the right thing keeping the m99 functioning exactly the same for people who liked it, but restricted it's use from turning every HoE game into a hard game unless the whole team agrees that's what they want.

If that was the case Tripwire could have made the price increase for HOE only. Its the only difficulty that punishes Sharp shooters for using their on perk 9mm. I dare you to try the M99/9mm load out. Hell, I will even play with you. I am not hardcore but I know how KF works. I can play well. I will spot and cover you. I want you to feel the real in game frustration. I am all in favor for a well thought out and tested balance. The way the M99 was contained was a bit extreme. If I didn't know better I would swear tripwire was trolling.

Upvote 0
The m99 is wrapped in the story of how a very vocal and very forum active minority removed content from the hands of nearly all killing floor players. Only games of friends are going to fund a sharpshooter the extreme quantity of cash needed to fill up on ammo. Anyone else just queueing a public game wont touch the weapon. The existence of broken, useless, or repetitive content in any game is a flaw that saps value from the experience.

Let's consider the perspective that the number of players registered for the forums are a minority and the anti-m99 crusade was a minority of a minority. If we could actually get a weigh-in of all killing floor players, many would answer the concern of m99 over-poweredness with "shrug" and the notion that bullets should cost 250$ a shot with, "That's ****ing dumb."

Without re-hashing the back and forth of "the gun is too strong." and the antithetical "changes the nature of the game and I'm ok with this" I would like to point out that it's a common expectation of the sharpshooter to have the play style of sitting behind your mates and taking care of large threats with head shots and this play style doesn't really exist on high difficulties and doesn't really matter at lower difficulties due to the bonuses of perk progression.

The crossbow isn't really viable for fleshpounds due to the specific "crossbow headshot damage resistance." The crossbow would pretty much be comparable to the m99, if not for that statistic. What's left over is the ever ubiquitous lever action m14 pairing. If you enjoy that as the end all of sharpshooter play, kudos. I still find the m14 laser sight to be a source of headache as it's often hard to see and the iron sights are the worst in the game. Furthermore the gimmicky methods of utilizing those weapons for fleshpounds doesn't lend themselves to casual and chaotic gameplay.

There are some players which can put an m14 clip into a fleshpound's face in a variety of hectic circumstances but, honestly, I haven't met any of them. For the most part, I endlessly hear the complaints of "who raged the fleshpound" "keep the trash off me" etc... As if sharpshooters are owed the ability to take a calm, strolling, fleshpound that's facing them in a serene vaccuum.

/queue prolonged sigh

It's a zombie massacre apocalypse... thing. To keep it fun and exciting players should die with some regularity and maintaining the threat of the fleshpound is probably a big part of that. I just wish some more consideration to the overall vision would be offered in the inclusion of content. I was really rooting for the inclusion of the Braindead hunting rifle as opposed to the m99... maybe that was just me. If there was supposed to be a single-player damage ceiling to taking care of fleshpounds in suicidal and HoE perhaps some alternative effects to damage should have been considered. The m99 being the one weapon that could snare an FP with a shot to the knee or something, who knows. Game designers and modders are creative people, I imagine, and probably wear lab coats. As it stands the sharpshooter now has two scoped weapons that are essentially a disappointment.

I was not a fan of the m99 inclusion but I have to recognize that it certainly added a top weapon to the hierarchy of sharp shooter as opposed to the m14 with terrible sights and the crossbow with specific "headshot resistance." I imagine the criticism of the gun would have been significantly less had it been included from the game's release. But now the use is unfeasible due to the follow-up solution of "make it too expensive to use." It's just sloppy on both counts. Both the implementations and the knee-jerk forum reactions that have ultimately failed to make the game any more fun over a series of patches and merely prolong the status quo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What's left over is the ever ubiquitous lever action m14 pairing.
I actually quite enjoy dual handcannon, mk23, m14 or m79, mk23, m14. There are also quite a number of pistol/lar combinations that are quite effective vs Fleshpounds. Not to mention that with the reload speed on the crossbow you can dispatch Fleshpounds quite easily with a little bit of practice. FPs should remain most easily handled by a competent demo.

There are some players which can put an m14 clip into a fleshpound's face in a variety of hectic circumstances but, honestly, I haven't met any of them. For the most part, I endlessly hear the complaints of "who raged the fleshpound" "keep the trash off me" etc... As if sharpshooters are owed the ability to take a calm, strolling, fleshpound that's facing them in a serene vaccuum.

Why are you complaining for the need for teamplay in a co-op game? Sharps are not designed to be the most efficient at dispatching fleshpounds, provide your team so support rather than gawking waiting for them to fail.

I was not a fan of the m99 inclusion but I have to recognize that it certainly added a top weapon to the hierarchy of sharp shooter as opposed to the m14 with terrible sights and the crossbow with specific "headshot resistance." I imagine the criticism of the gun would have been significantly less had it been included from the game's release. But now the use is unfeasible due to the follow-up solution of "make it too expensive to use." It's just sloppy on both counts. Both the implementations and the knee-jerk forum reactions that have ultimately failed to make the game any more fun over a series of patches and merely prolong the status quo.

The M99 simplified and flattened the gameplay experience. If you are unhappy with your inability to use it, may I suggest Hard difficulty. The is no reason for every single player to be able or need to play on HoE. The sights on the M14 are just fine. Just realize that the bullet lands on the white dot, not above the sight. The resistance to the xbow was instated because teams were only composed of sharpshooters.

You state that you were unhappy with the inclusion of the M99. This nerf effectively removes the gun from the game on HoE, just pretend it was never there. I still think a more inventive nerf should have been put in place, but at least this change adds some of the challenge back into HoE.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You state that you were unhappy with the inclusion of the M99. This nerf effectively removes the gun from the game on HoE, just pretend it was never there. I still think a more inventive nerf should have been put in place, but at least this change adds some of the challenge back into HoE.

have you used the perked up x-bow? Your a one man wrecking crew with that and a side arm (or 2). The M99 just got a raw deal. 5000 for a ammo refill.....geez

Upvote 0